Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭TheQ_Man

blade1 wrote: »
    Handy. You can pm him your sort code for the refund :D

Cash only :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Interesting to see Blade1 take on exhausts. I have a Z7 with a nice clean system but its 100% welded by one of the previous owners, no way at all of taking it off without bolting it out from the engine itself. No joints at all anywhere! Makes changing the oil filter [paper one] a big old hassle as the spin cap is partly covered by the exhaust.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Fitted a Decat to the GSXR - Some bark off it now
    ZwnKVZi.jpg
    JMCB5WF.jpg
    zSAbKyv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You forget to attach the retention spring :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

listermint wrote: »
    You forget to attach the retention spring :P

Well he forgot to bolt it on too in that case LOL

• Advertisement

One less headache

771-E3385-C2-C3-44-AE-B0-C6-22-D46-E379814.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

incredibly boring in comparison to some of you lads, but took the ram mount off and replaced it with a quadlock... Will see how it behaves later on today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Replaced the badly bodged silencer on the DT250.
    Gave it a good wire wheeling before several coats of Matt black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

incredibly boring in comparison to some of you lads, but took the ram mount off and replaced it with a quadlock... Will see how it behaves later on today
    Neither systems are cheap, but I think I'd go for the quadlock over the ram, the ram mount relies on elastics to keep the phone in place which will just deteriorate exposed to the elements. Is that the reason you changed? How do you find it?

Neither systems are cheap, but I think I'd go for the quadlock over the ram, the ram mount relies on elastics to keep the phone in place which will just deteriorate exposed to the elements. Is that the reason you changed? How do you find it?

It was more the vibration. I’ve already had to send one phone in for a repair because the camera died due to vibration.

Didn’t get a chance to go out this evening, KH7 is acting up and has decided he wants his daddy all night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

It was more the vibration. I’ve already had to send one phone in for a repair because the camera died due to vibration.

Didn’t get a chance to go out this evening, KH7 is acting up and has decided he wants his daddy all night

Have the quadlock system on my 990adv.. best of the lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

hedzball wrote: »
    Have the quadlock system on my 990adv.. best of the lot

What phone are you using ? I’ve read several reports of vibration damaging iPhone cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What phone are you using ? I’ve read several reports of vibration damaging iPhone cameras.

Ah yeah but only **** and bollixes buy iPhones

What if someone else buys it for you? Does that make me fit in with the bad people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

True but I get them for free, so no worries either way.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If the shoe fits :pac:

:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

TZZzMLz.jpg
    Fitted this little beaut
    hdbLNwS.jpg

Some incoming photos of my 1000F

EA3-FC1-A8-48-C5-4738-8-ACF-DF7782-B269-A7.jpg

D2735-FF9-8550-4-AF8-8-C41-67-EAE68-A4-A27.jpg

2760-AB5-B-BE0-D-44-C2-B6-AC-3-C31-F005-CCB2.jpg

406278-E3-F7-F8-4320-8558-4-B7-B99483048.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Lovely can scrappy. Hows she going with it, loud?
    What yr is the bike, didnt know the newer tackle 600's were 36cc up!

Q man yer like a fella who takes in stray cats with worms lol. You do like a challenge. Carefull you dont spend more doing up a cbr thou than a cbr thou is worth.
    Unfortunately I've never managed to listen to my own advice on that:(
    Re your suspension, strip and grease it yourself, tis nuts and bolts!

Gave the big is twice yearly bath. I used to be always cleaning bikes, these days i leave the acf do its job and it does work.
    dav.jpg

dav.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That DR makes me feel all funny in all the right kind of ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

H_Lime wrote: »
    Lovely can scrappy. Hows she going with it, loud?
    What yr is the bike, didnt know the newer tackle 600's were 36cc up!
    She's a 2015, the AMA homologated the 636cc engine in 2013 for supersport racing so I think they stopped making the rr version after that which was the 599cc you needed for racing....
    Entire 600cc supersport class is all but gone on the road nowadays though and I don't like the way it's heading with the aprilia 660 Yamaha R7 and the ducati supersport so will probably go for a thou next.. or even a v4 naked could be considered!
    Can is not loud at all once I refitted the pre muffler it's much nicer sounding. The sc system that was on it was just to much, way too in your face and loud and looking for attention!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I stripped out the linkages to give the roller bearings a dollop of the old unpronounceable grease. Awkward enough because once you remove any suspension bolt the paddock stand is useless, so it was a trolley jack under the engine and the missus holding the handle bars. And to top it off I noticed my tax disc is gone. Nice.
    20210617-160358.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I stripped out the linkages to give the roller bearings a dollop of the old unpronounceable grease. Awkward enough because once you remove any suspension bolt the paddock stand is useless, so it was a trolley jack under the engine and the missus holding the handle bars. And to top it off I noticed my tax disc is gone. Nice.
    20210617-160358.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Brake light staying on constant on the ‘wing. Took over an hour of disassembly just to get at the suspect foot brake switch plug just to discover its working fine :rolleyes:
    88C2E066-8E90-42AE-AFA3-5E10EF076FFD.jpeg
    556811.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Stuck on a pair of grip puppies on my Tiger 800. Had them on the FZ1 and they made a huge difference. For €15 can't go wrong. Lads talking about spending on cushioned seats for longer spins, these are an ideal addition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grip-Puppy-Comfort-grips-Models/dp/B005DJSQ0Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=grip+puppies&qid=1624724135&sprefix=grip+p&sr=8-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Put some Motul 660 brake fluid in the Zsx today, in anticipation of a track day.

Brake pads are low, but I reckon I'll get the day out of them and then change them.

Tyres are good, so hopefully a fun day will be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If the pads are low I'd change before, low pads won't dissipate heat as well as they should and you'll end up with crap braking that'll ruin your day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

If the pads are low I'd change before, low pads won't dissipate heat as well as they should and you'll end up with crap braking that'll ruin your day

Yeah, good point.

Just had a look again and they are a bit too low.

To the Interwebs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

looks like I am going to need another new back tyre. even though I can hardly be called a hot spinning wheels type of guy.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

Its not very exciting but I made this dust cover for the headstock bearings for my Honda CB550 project. Thought I would share some pics.

Its just made from some 1mm thick mild steel, I will get it nickel plated along with some other parts at the end of the project.

I turned a form on the lathe to beat over. The material is acetal plastic.

The big disc is the blank I will form. The dark disc is a 3mm thick piece of steel that clamps the part against the form. The clamping piece has a smaller diameter than the form. This allows the material to bunch up around this and form a step.

Its then just beaten over the form with a regular claw hammer

It started off with a lot of very large pleats that need to be slowly hammered to get the material to shrink around the radius.

After a while it starts to take the form. You can see where the material has bunched up and formed the step around the black clamping piece.

Its then sanded on the lathe to get all the hammer marks out.

I trimmed the edge and the middle hole on the lathe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I decided to clean my bike, first time in a year 😋

Took me the day. It was leaving clumps of muck on the garage floor when I parked up.

Good stuff, thought you had a guy? 🤣 😲

I did but at €150 a pop it was getting a little spendy.

Whats he do that you can't? Lacquor and blowdry or something? ACF?

In fairness I think you said before it takes him 4 hrs or something and does a great job

Yep, pretty much. He does do a great job. I got all the stuff I need myself to do it. We were paying twice for two bikes and it was adding up. Also I'm not that close to his business that I can pop by anymore. Its a lot more rewarding to do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

My CBR is mildly breaking my heart. Unloaded at Mondello on Monday but it wouldn't start :( running out of ideas so hoping someone hear might have some divine inspiration for me!

Bike: 2005 CBR600RR

Symptoms: Bike turns over but won't fire. Won't bump start. Lights are all coming on, fuel pump is priming but no dice. Started Sunday evening before it was put in the van. Next morning it started for 2 seconds, sounded ill and cut out. Hasn't started since.

Action already taken: changed spark plugs, checked all the coils - no spark issues that I can see. Took off the fuel pipe at the fuel rail and primed it to make sure the pump was pushing fuel to the injectors, seems to be all good. Shook the absolute fcuk out of the tank in case there was any shite around the pump in the tank. Checked fuses etc, can't see any fried/blown. Changed the battery. I suspected the HISS immobiliser might be acting up but I believe (from youtubing) when HISS is triggered the fuel pump doesn't prime so that would rule that out.

Things I haven't checked that I will checked tomorrow: bank angle sensor, kickstand sensor, neutral sensor.

Anyone got any ideas outside of the above? I'm at a loss and probably at the end of my own abilities so next port of call is probably to drop it to a mechanic. Would hate to go to that hassle if it was something obvious I could have fixed though. SOS - SAVE MY SANITY!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

Smell of fuel out the exhaust when you crank it over?

pretty comprehensive checks you done to date, and ruled out a lot

I’d drain and replace the fuel at this stage. Then give it a few goes on the starter with throttle wide open try and blow as much of the suspect fuel through

I was in a similar situation a few months back and had to lean on the starter a fair bit (4 or 5 good 20sec goes), but above got it going in the end, and running good since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It might be flooded. Try starting it with the choke OFF and the throttle wide open.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Great minds. Drained and replace it yesterday. Alas, no luck. Tank was actually very clean internally and pump was in great nick, to the eye at least. I flashed the ecu to check for errors and got one relating to the MAP sensor. Thought HALLELUJAH! Checked the map sensor, cleaned it up, checked the vacuum hose, cleared the code. Still no luck :( it does make me wonder about the state of the contacts though, I have a haunting feeling a sensor is doing me over. Cant drop it to a mechanic for a few days so next up is a meticulous cleaning of all the electrical contacts. Lean angle sensor seems ok but im going to try bypass it out of desperation.

Had tried WOT for 10-15secs at a time today but no luck. Even with starter fluid into the airbox, it barely sputters but makes no effort. I thought if it was a straight up fuel issue that it would at least run for a few seconds with the starter fluid.

Love to know the solution when you get it 👍

don’t think it’d be the MAP, bike should start and run (like shite, may not idle), but should start.. and sensors (sidestand, lean, neutral etc) I’d have thought would either cut spark or fuel pump, but both those ok by the sounds..

check all your earths - the strap off battery, make sure is well snugged, and earth to the block (maybe multiple) doesn’t look green / eyelets frayed etc

Did you check all your plugs after changing fuel? They may be pretty grotty at this stage and prob not helping things

Sorry disregard my MAP sensor bit above - was thinking MAF.. unsure symptoms of a dodgy MAP sorry

To me it sounds like you have a connector, hose or something not fitted but how's the battery doing voltage wise at rest, and when cranking?

Run another earth off the batt neg to frame.

Have you checked your main fuse and wiring in and out of it, also the other safety circuits side stand and or clutch? Also kill switch wiring.

New hoops inbound and noticed the chain side bearing was grumbly. My blind pullers failed, this was seriously fossilised in there.

One M12 rawl, heat and some judicious force multiplication later....

Reliance bearing to the rescue with dust seals wheel bearings front and rear (FAG) for under 50e. I figured if this one was bad the rest might be needing soon.

Fox Mulder, cannot seem to figure out how to quote your previous post.

Would never have though that part started out that shape. Flawless.

This bike will have so many one off detail touches, fair play to you.

Didn't check them after changing the fuel as they're brand new, only put them in a week ago and the sound when its turning over hasn't changed at all so I'm slow to pull them again. It still sounds like something electrical is fcuked somewhere but I've chased as many cables as I can and nothing looks fried or disconnected. Dropping it to a lad this weekend so fingers crossed.

Yeah it stinks of a connector fcuked somewhere but I can't see anything disconnected or fried etc, have looked at as many wires and connectors as I can so far. Wiring to the kill switch looked good when I took it apart as did the sidestand. Can't remember if I checked the clutch one so I'll double check.

Dropping it to a lad this weekend so fingers crossed. In the meantime I was reading the haynes manual (again) yesterday and it had a different reason for the fault code which was stored when I flashed it last week. Going by the Haynes code 15 is "Faulty No. 4 Primary Injector or wiring" which if accurate would cause exactly what's happening. BUT, I cleared the codes to see if it was an active fault or stored code and it's gone...so it looks to have been an old code. That being said I'm going to have another look specifically at that this evening. We live in hope :)

EDIT: just tested the resistance on the 4 primary injectors, all within spec. DAYUM!

Post edited by ronanc15 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭omerin

Know very little about electrics, maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Have a new usb charger with the live and earth cable coming off it, no fuse, relay etc. attached. Is it ok to join it sae to sae, on to the sae cable used to connect to the battery charger? It has a fuse, no relay. Won't need the usb charger working all the time, assume if i left it connected it would drain the battery as it wont be hooked up to a relay. I guess sae cables are avaible online/halfords to crimp to the cables coming off the usb charger, and connect to the sae cable when required, or am I wrong? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
Advertisement