Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I set mine kind of loose because I get a lot of air time on a certain route I take :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I set mine at 30mm top of chain to top of chain mid way on swingarm at loosest spot....

What does it do at the tightest spot? Is there much difference? A lot depends on the sprocket mounting at the rear. I have adjusted the sprocket before to equalise the different tensions. It depends on tolerances.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Well lads you were spot on! Checked it when i got home and its over 2 inches. Im gonna blame the lack of concentration after spending 2 hours changing the thing :pac:

Didnt realise you should be sitting on the bike either...every days a school day!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

And so it begins in earnest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And so it begins in earnest.

And no pics?

And sort out your image hosting, I'm getting sick of clicking on links!!!!:p

Edit: pic LINK added :(

you can link stuff uploaded to boards just right click that link and put it in between [img][/img]

430508.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ah here....no pussy shots please.....:)

Well lads you were spot on! Checked it when i got home and its over 2 inches. Im gonna blame the lack of concentration after spending 2 hours changing the thing :pac:

Didnt realise you should be sitting on the bike either...every days a school day!

You shouldnt be sitting on the bike to adjust it at all!!

Its an inch play in the centre of the swingarm while the bike is on the sidestand or stands, there usually a mark on the swingarm.

If you've adjusted it sitting on the bike do it again.

• Advertisement

You shouldnt be sitting on the bike to adjust it at all!!

Its an inch play in the centre of the swingarm while the bike is on the sidestand or stands, there usually a mark on the swingarm.

If you've adjusted it sitting on the bike do it again.

Different bikes have different tensions.
    I said sitting on the bike so to check the chain isn't too tight when the spring is compressed.
    The tightest the chain will be when is the swing arm pivot is in line with the axle.

You allways sit on a bike when checking chain slack and tension when replacing it.

Same when getting a suspension setup done.

you can link stuff uploaded to boards just right click that link and put it in between [img][/img]

430508.jpg

Thanks for that.:)

You allways sit on a bike when checking chain slack and tension when replacing it.

Same when getting a suspension setup done.

Do the bike shop call people in to sit on the bike when adjusting a chain? Measurements should always be with no weight on the bike.

It's nothing like a suspension set up regards weight being on the bike

blade1 wrote: »
    Different bikes have different tensions.
    I said sitting on the bike so to check the chain isn't too tight when the spring is compressed.
    The tightest the chain will be when is the swing arm pivot is in line with the axle.

Yeah, you can sit on it to check the tension is ok after adjusting, you never adjust the chain sitting on the bike.

In saying that , that's just to make sure it's not out of tolerance, your measurements should be done with no weight on the bike.

Yeah, you can sit on it to check the tension is ok after adjusting, you never adjust the chain sitting on the bike.
    Please don't tell me you thought I meant adjust your chain while you are sitting on your bike?
    Is that even possible?:pac:

• Advertisement

Do the bike shop call people in to sit on the bike when adjusting a chain? Measurements should always be with no weight on the bike.

It's nothing like a suspension set up regards weight being on the bike

Well 2 well respected mechanics that i use have both got me to sit on the bikes to check the chain under load,just before im taking the bike back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If suspension movement affected chain slack then surely the drivetrain would pull on the suspension, which would be bad, no?

Lumen wrote: »
    If suspension movement affected chain slack then surely the drivetrain would pull on the suspension, which would be bad, no?

I'd be more worried about wear on countershaft bearing.
    Better slightly loose than slightly tight.
    Get specific tension for your bike off manual or wherever.
    Adjust chain as you normally would.
    When done check tension with rear shock compressed to 1:ensure chain is not tight with your weight on the bike and 2. sometimes manuals may not be accurate.
    No harm double checking.

Well 2 well respected mechanics that i use have both got me to sit on the bikes to check the chain under load,just before im taking the bike back.

They probably charged you extra for that too....:P...adjustment is done with just the weight of the bike, not on main stand..if it was badly worn they might do this

No not bad.. .physics

They probably charged you extra for that too....:P...adjustment is done with just the weight of the bike, not on main stand..

He said check Max,not adjust ;)

• Advertisement

Ah Jaysus.........lol

Lately u nearly have spell out every detail on here lest any ambiguity be there for the more argumentative.
    I get the feeling some people only come on here to start an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ah here....no pussy shots please.....:)

That's the new catalytic converter.. I bet the bike purrrrrs along now

[I'll throw myself out]

That's the new catalytic converter.. I bet the bike purrrrrs along now

[I'll throw myself out]

Your talents are wasted here Mak!:pac:

BTW How you finding the Z?
    Keeping two wheels on the road,yeah?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Your talents are wasted here Mak!:pac:

BTW How you finding the Z?
    Keeping two wheels on the road,yeah?:D

Its grand actually, and no wheelies [yet].

Although they're not far off either, first gear is way too short/low to wheelie it, she'd loop fairly handy. And I can feel the sweet spot in the rev range in 2nd & 3rd (I tried a 3rd power wheelie and got a little bunny hop out of it so it'll be clutch ups there I think because there's not a lot of room to shift my arse/weight to the rear and I can't do standing wheelies ~ the height always scared me).

Fuel consumption is grand, 200-220kpg for €20 but I'm really not riding it hard.

Its nice being back on a litre bike again, like I said earlier the Vstrom (DL650) was a brilliant bike ~ but boy God they're slow and boring as hell to own. They're just way, WAY too slow and heavy. Cheap suspension on a heavy middleweight doesn't help either.

But wheelies, yea who knows. I'll meet someone on the road, a KTM or something and that little bad devil on my shoulder might just win out and up she'll come :D

He said check Max,not adjust ;)

and i said....".if it was badly worn they might do this"..... ;);)

and i said....".if it was badly worn they might do this"..... ;);)

And I didn't say you didn't.;););)
    Stewy said 2 mechanics checked his chain under load.
    You then went on about adjusting a chain.
    What were you quoting stewys post for?
    He didn't mention adjusting anything.

Youre right.....;)

"Lately u nearly have spell out every detail on here lest any ambiguity be there for the more argumentative.
    I get the feeling some people only come on here to start an argument"

Youre right.....;)

"Lately u nearly have spell out every detail on here lest any ambiguity be there for the more argumentative.
    I get the feeling some people only come on here to start an argument"

Yes, I had to nearly spell out the details again.
    Thanks for confirming I was right though!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It does pull on the suspension, its called squat.
    You can see/feel it happening if you hold the front brake on and let the clutch out.
    How much or little squat depends on a multitude of factors including suspension geometry and how the bike is set up, as the bikes squats weight is transferred rearwards increasing the load and grip on the rear tyre.

• Advertisement

Please don't tell me you thought I meant adjust your chain while you are sitting on your bike?
    Is that even possible?:pac:

You said to check the tension with someone sitting on the bike, it's completely incorrect and absolute bollox. You check the tension with no weight, you are literally risking people lives because you haven't a notion

Your check the chain with zero weight on the bike, preferably side stand no matter how it hangs when you sit on it

Well id get new mechanics mate, you check the bike with zero tension. I'm looking at. Suzuki manual right now and it specifically says that

Mate you have the mechanical skills of a fly, don't even get involved telling people how to do something that you get someone to do because you are incapable

If someone can't even change a chain I'm not going to listen to him pontificate about how it should be done. It's done with no weight on the bike end of.

Sick of people telling guys incorrect info on how to service their bike, it's ****ing dangerous you don't play around. If you don't know then shut the **** up

A chain is measured with zero yes zero weight on the bike that's it, simple as. Read any manufacturers manual out there Is not one will say oh adjust it when you sit on the bike if it drags or hangs low.

It's done with no weight on the bike.

The bike chain does not matter if the person is 4 stone or 50. Suspension yes, chain no

Goose.....give it a rest mate.
    And dont be mocking people here either.
    Show some respect.
    Thanks.

Here's the tension for few R1's and if you are going out on a track,loosen it further again.
    Screenshot_20171015-073541_01.jpg

The world has moved on and you really need to catch up.
    Some bikes (see above)you don't even check at the centre of the swingarm.
    But keep up posting your nosense.
    Sick of people telling guys incorrect info on how to service their bike, it's ****ing dangerous you don't play around. If you don't know then shut the **** up

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    You need to listen to your own advise there, it's the one time you haven't being talking utter shîte.

I shouldn't really be replying to moronic posts from an aggressive troll like yourself.
    And if you are not a troll you're just a horrible poster who I want nothing to do with on here.
    If I was as aggressive as you come across,I'd be getting it checked out.

Today im playing with my nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Today im playing with my nuts.

Lovely flanges on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Lovely flanges on them.

They ALL have lovely flanges on them 🀣

scudster wrote: »
    They ALL have lovely flanges on them ��

:pac::P

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DrwVB4vMx-Q

• Advertisement

Wavy discs are soooo last week....:P

Big brake kit arrived this afternoon,along with some new lever guards

lubed chain and took it out for a spin first time since coming off, ran like **** like it used to last year so it must be from sitting up. just nursed it home juddering after getting petrol and air in the tyres

dangerous pulling out onto a roundabout with no power and the car behind nearly rear ended me because they probably expected me to pull away fast and then later on I rolled off the throttle going over railway lines and the engine died had to clutch in quick.. and a guy in an rx8 gave me a punishment overtake hahah actually not joking about that

Big brake kit arrived this afternoon,along with some new lever guards

What bike are these for stewy, and how many lever guards to get?
    lubed chain and took it out for a spin first time since coming off,

and a guy in an rx8 gave me a punishment overtake hahah actually not joking about that

What happened you ff...were you hurt?

Punishment overtakes are all the rage now thanks to the lad on here who started the craze!:pac:

What bike are these for stewy, and how many lever guards to get?

Punishment overtakes are all the rage now thanks to the lad on here who started the craze!:pac:

Tis for a new bike i just bought......dedicated track only build.
    2 sets of big brakes and 2 sets of lever guards.

Ah that punishment overtake.......tis getting well used here now....lol

Tis for a new bike i just bought......dedicated track only build.
    2 sets of big brakes and 2 sets of lever guards.

Ah that punishment overtake.......tis getting well used here now....lol

Good stuff!
    No doubt you'll keep us updated.
    If I win the Euro millions I'll have a racetrack on my land!!

• Advertisement

Good stuff!
    No doubt you'll keep us updated.
    If I win the Euro millions I'll have a racetrack on my land!!

Will wait until its built,which should be in the next few weeks.;)

Well we will have Coal Island to look firward to in just over 2 years time.

just a small lowside so grand was out with a few bikes had lunch and first real bend back on the road I took a wrong line and hit a pothole/dip in the side of the road and the front washed out under me and me and the bike ended up on the other side of the road facing the wrong way, clutch lever, gear shifter peg, 2 indicators, cracked tail and scratches at the nose fairing. was able to ride it home so was grand
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0859121,-9.1639453,3a,75y,224.07h,63.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxx6gYHuRtr2uAocvoVpAxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

just a small lowside so grand was out with a few bikes had lunch and first real bend back on the road I took a wrong line and hit a pothole/dip in the side of the road and the front washed out under me and me and the bike ended up on the other side of the road facing the wrong way, clutch lever, gear shifter peg, 2 indicators, cracked tail and scratches at the nose fairing. was able to ride it home so was grand
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0859121,-9.1639453,3a,75y,224.07h,63.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxx6gYHuRtr2uAocvoVpAxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You're alright anyway?
    I heard that lad u met from down my way on the silver sv came off it as well.
    Woman pulled out in front of him.
    I think he got something else.

You're alright anyway?
    I heard that lad u meet from down my way on the silver sv came off it as well.
    Woman pulled out in front of him.
    I think he got something else.

I'm alright yeah didn't hit my head or anything so all good, it's around a month ago now. might go to birmingham nec bike show to get a few bits of gear textile pants didn't hold up.
    I didn't hear about him that's a pity hope he got away without getting hurt haven't been down that way in ages so haven't spoken to any of those lads

I need to get mine running right again had a bad time out today backfiring and conking out non stop and coming back down the road to my house there were about 10 different sets of neighbours all out walking and checking the damage from the storm all looking at the banging ffs

Sitting on the plane with this little baby.

Now wheres me wires gone??

• Advertisement
Advertisement