Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm sure the people around you were bricking it....what with yer hipster beard n all....:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I'm sure the people around you were bricking it....what with yer hipster beard n all....:).

Especially when i pulled the wires out of the backpack.:eek::D

Jokingly said to the lady beside me...."dont worry,thats just the phone charger lead".

Poor lady looked white as a ghost......lol...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

put water on both exhausts and the front cylinder the water was instantly turning to steam and the rear cylinder was slowly turning to steam only at the top and not further down, nowhere near as hot as front cylinder.

took spark plug caps off, snipped a bit off the ht leads and screwed the caps back on, left the cap off the rear spark plug and put one of last set of spark plugs on and saw it had perfect spark and no arcing to the frame etc.

pulled the rear plug out and it was in an absolute state, really oily and filthy.

cleaned it and put it back in and started the bike, both exhausts boiling the water quickly but the rear still not as instant as the front.

blipping throttle still sounds like the rear cylinder doesn't have any power at all or isn't firing properly or something. and it'll eventually cut out on its own or cut out if you give a tiny blip of the throttle, or rev high and let off the throttle fully.

There could be multiple problems like a dying coil for the rear cylinder (although spark looked perfect when I was running it on 1 cylinder)

but would I be going down the right path thinking that a valve stem could be letting oil into that cylinder or something along those lines.

video of the sound + spraying water + it cutting out with a little tiny blip of throttle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

most of the time when a plug fouls... it's dead and wont recover from a simple cleaning, might try a new plug.
    Do the cylinders run off separate coils? if so swap them and see if the problem follows the coil

put water on both exhausts and the front cylinder the water was instantly turning to steam and the rear cylinder was slowly turning to steam only at the top and not further down, nowhere near as hot as front cylinder.

took spark plug caps off, snipped a bit off the ht leads and screwed the caps back on, left the cap off the rear spark plug and put one of last set of spark plugs on and saw it had perfect spark and no arcing to the frame etc.

pulled the rear plug out and it was in an absolute state, really oily and filthy.

cleaned it and put it back in and started the bike, both exhausts boiling the water quickly but the rear still not as instant as the front.

blipping throttle still sounds like the rear cylinder doesn't have any power at all or isn't firing properly or something. and it'll eventually cut out on its own or cut out if you give a tiny blip of the throttle, or rev high and let off the throttle fully.

There could be multiple problems like a dying coil for the rear cylinder (although spark looked perfect when I was running it on 1 cylinder)

but would I be going down the right path thinking that a valve stem could be letting oil into that cylinder or something along those lines.

video of the sound + spraying water + it cutting out with a little tiny blip of throttle

Thats the devils bike.

Burn it on the bonfire and get a different bike.

All joking aside,I really feel for you mate,must be a new bike now,with all the issues and parts you have had to sort out.:)

most of the time when a plug fouls... it's dead and wont recover from a simple cleaning, might try a new plug.
    Do the cylinders run off separate coils? if so swap them and see if the problem follows the coil
    I gave it a good clean and it came out looking fresh, it was more just covered in oil rather than carbon so I think the plug will be grand but I have the old one I could swap to. I will have to have a look at what way the coils are they are both separate I think so that's a good idea to swap them thanks
    Thats the devils bike.

Burn it on the bonfire and get a different bike.

All joking aside,I really feel for you mate,must be a new bike now,with all the issues and parts you have had to sort out.:)
    :D really all I need is a second bike so I can always have one on the go while fixing the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Today I got my bike to shoot bigger flames :pac:

Screenshot_20171023-201152.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

I gave it a good clean and it came out looking fresh, it was more just covered in oil rather than carbon so I think the plug will be grand but I have the old one I could swap to. I will have to have a look at what way the coils are they are both separate I think so that's a good idea to swap them thanks

:D really all I need is a second bike so I can always have one on the go while fixing the other.

I'm not a mechanic but oil on the spark plug could only be coming up through your piston ring or down your valves unfortunately. Now your coil might be dying to and the oil was just form misfiring and repeated attempts at starting.
    Best of luck sorting it out.

blade1 wrote: »
    Today I got my bike to shoot bigger flames :pac:

Screenshot_20171023-201152.jpg

Anyone for toasted marshmallows?:D

Jackdaw89 wrote: »
    I'm not a mechanic but oil on the spark plug could only be coming up through your piston ring or down your valves unfortunately. Now your coil might be dying to and the oil was just form misfiring and repeated attempts at starting.
    Best of luck sorting it out.
    sound, worst case scenario drop in an engine from an sv1000 :D

• Advertisement

sound, worst case scenario drop in an engine from an sv1000 :D

Cant be any worse than the 1000rr engine into a 400rr frame.:eek::D

Thanks for not waving at me today in the docks Stewie...this is you bike isnt it...:p

sink1-L.jpg

Thanks for not waving at me today in the docks Stewie...this is you bike isnt it...:p

sink1-L.jpg

WTF????:eek::pac:

nice sink, wonder if he has an installation thread over in the plumbing section

I'm sure those sinks were for sale at the recent bike show at leopardstown.
    They've scrubbed up well in fairness... the piss stains aren't even noticeable now!:pac:

WTF????:eek::pac:

Yeah, thats what i was thinkin....pink fcuking towels.......:D

hopefully he doesn't go onto one of the boats... it might sink

Lively bunch ye are this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I guess I'll post this one here.

For the first time in donkeys years I'm riding a bike without a Scottoiler (or shift) so I'm back to cleaning and lub'ing a chain.

So what lube are all the cool kids on the block using these days?.

• Advertisement

For the first time in donkeys years I'm riding a bike without a Scottoiler (or shift) so I'm back to cleaning and lub'ing a chain.

KY..............bum bum....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Silicone pastry brush and leftover engine oil after a service. Im half considering one of these though http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/cobrra-nemo-2-chain-oiler/review.htm

I find the end delivery system on the auto chain oilers are the let down though. I dont like the idea of only one side of the chain getting oil. Alot say it spreads to the other side of the chain though. Anyone confirm this?

You can get dual injectors for scottoiler

Silkolene Pro Chain FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You can use ATF fluid, its identical to scottoil just a different colour but cheaper.

There's always something.
    I've been tinkering around with the fueling on my ZZR with a while trying to get it spot on.
    Think I got it about right last night so was looking forward to some serious ripping today!:D

So went out to bike and this happens

Kept happening so couldn't get the bike going.
    First I thought it was the earth on the power commander so I connected it directly to the battery.
    No change.
    I then swapped out the battery and still no change.
    Then I completely disconnected the power commander and still no change.
    I then dug deeper and found this.
    Time for a new solenoid and fuse cap I think.

IMG_20171025_201638.jpg

• Advertisement

The fuse didn't even blow with this damage. :eek:

IMG_20171026_162554.jpg

Had an old solenoid that's not 100% but just fitted it and tidied up the burnt wires so I could check was the bike running ok.

Ordered a solenoid and this
    Screenshot_20171025-205108_01.jpg

At least you had the know how to trace the fault.

I'm ok on most of the mechanics but electrics scare the crap out of me.

At least you had the know how to trace the fault.

I'm ok on most of the mechanics but electrics scare the crap out of me.

The thing about the ZZR is everything is hidden away.
    It's not a case of lifting the seat and checking things.
    You'd nearly want fingers shaped like long nose pliers to get at a lot of stuff on the bike.
    Even the battery is under the tank and you get at it by removing some panels.
    The solenoid is in a bit further.
    A pain in the hole doing a lot of work on it. :(

Oh I forgot.... You'd a BMW.. what am I complaining about!!:pac:

My bike is fixed.. What was wrong? **** all the front spark plug cap wasn't making proper connection because of the rubber boot

Spend the rest of the day watching a bike engine being put back together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My bike is fixed.. What was wrong? **** all the front spark plug cap wasn't making proper connection because of the rubber boot

Spend the rest of the day watching a bike engine being put back together

The simple fixes are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sitting on the plane with this little baby.

Now wheres me wires gone??

You're now on a list

Cienciano wrote: »
    You're now on a list

KA
    BOOM?:P

I hate Irish customs.....all my stuff arrived into the country on the 18th and its in the hands of Irish Customs at the moment.

Typical.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I hate Irish customs.....all my stuff arrived into the country on the 18th and its in the hands of Irish Customs at the moment.

Typical.:rolleyes:

What did you buy ?

D3V!L wrote: »
    What did you buy ?

Show you in a few weeks time,when its built.;)

1:47am and working on this pig of a bike.

1:47am and working on this pig of a bike.

Stewy your pics aren't showing for me.
    All I'm getting is a black screen with a tiny white dot in the middle.

blade1 wrote: »
    Stewy your pics aren't showing for me.
    All I'm getting is a black screen with a tiny white dot in the middle.

Poxy computer...:rolleyes::(

I mean my poxy computer...:p

Poxy computer...:rolleyes::(

I mean my poxy computer...:p

Same.
    Try this
    https://postimages.org/

I think boards.ie is being buggy with attaching photos, I was having the same problem in the cycling forum yesterday (yes I'm one of those lyric bastards :D )

• Advertisement

Well today,I had a very interesting today in Mondello Park.Out on 2 different machines today.

Savage day and track was in great condition for the end of October.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Well today,I had a very interesting today in Mondello Park.Out on 2 different machines today.

Savage day and track was in great condition for the end of October.:)

More question threads stewy please.

I think boards.ie is being buggy with attaching photos, I was having the same problem in the cycling forum yesterday (yes I'm one of those lyric bastards :D )

:confused::confused::confused:....what, you like listening to classical music...in yer lycra..:p

Yesterday,but great craic out on track.
    1st time out on a CBR6000rr.:)

2 new indicators on yesterday didn't do pictures going to do the other two soon but the left ones are flashing fast even though they're not led? Need to check if there is a short anywhere

Gave a clean and some acf 50 today

431942.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I chopped the exhaust on my SV650s yesterday to make it a stubby. Its got a deeper (and louder) sound now. Hopefully that'll help with all the cars trying to share a lane with me in the city center

Lads,theres something up with Boards uploading.

Couldnt see Frozens pics at all yesterday,all I was getting was a black screen.
    Now I can see the pics.

I can click on your pictures from the last few days which wouldn't work for me before I was just seeing a small white dot but now they are working fine

Alloy and titanium race parts on their way from Japan.

Hope customs dont sting me again.......eeek

• Advertisement

Thanks to the girl in TNT for sorting out the paperwork for me.
    My goods were nearly being sent back.:eek:

Advertisement