Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Bought R&G heated grips at NEC on the cheap, spent 5 hours (cos I was faffing about too) fitting them the other day, such a pain in the ass, but now my hands are lovely and warm riding around the place. Really should have got them sorted a few months ago, but I've been fairly lazy on it. First time having heated grips in 7 years, why did I wait so long again!

There are lads who will swear they'd never have them . F**k that. I've had them on every bike and will going forward. Although I reckon heated gloves next. Bit more of an expense compared to the grips but they keep the whole hand warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

GBX wrote: »
    There are lads who will swear they'd never have them . F**k that. I've had them on every bike and will going forward. Although I reckon heated gloves next. Bit more of an expense compared to the grips but they keep the whole hand warm.

Same here, wouldn't have a bike without heated grips. And like you I'm considering heated gloves.

I've tried Oxford muffs but could never get used to them.

Same here, wouldn't have a bike without heated grips. And like you I'm considering heated gloves.

I've tried Oxford muffs but could never get used to them.

Found muffs too restricting on the hand.
    I know lads have said they might push against the brake lever at speed. But I would never speed your honour :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

On my phone so not sure what the brackets are for video but this is well worth a look, did something to me bike today lol, walked away though

https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=Vz3PaG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Aw, sorry to see man, but you were very wide on the first apex, better on the 2nd but then it got worse and worse until the inevitable :( if you run wide on one of a series of corners you have to slow down and get back on line, it's not going to sort itself out through a series of corners it's just going to get worse unless you back right off and get back on line and regroup. Hope you and the bike were ok.

You didn't hit the apex of the 2nd corner, didn't get close to the first part of the third, almost hit the apex on the 2nd pard of the third corner but I think you were off line at this point, you should have been on the extreme left side of the track going into the fourth corner, were off line and didn't slow/brake enough into the fouth and went way wide, at the fifth corner (or second apex of the fourth, to be pedantic) there was no more road :(

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Aw, sorry to see man, but you were very wide on the first apex, better on the 2nd but then it got worse and worse until the inevitable :( if you run wide on one of a series of corners you have to slow down and get back on line, it's not going to sort itself out through a series of corners it's just going to get worse unless you back right off and get back on line and regroup. Hope you and the bike were ok.

You didn't hit the apex of the 2nd corner, didn't get close to the first part of the third, almost hit the apex on the 2nd pard of the third corner but I think you were off line at this point, you should have been on the extreme left side of the track going into the fourth corner, were off line and didn't slow/brake enough into the fouth and went way wide, at the fifth corner (or second apex of the fourth, to be pedantic) there was no more road :(
    To be fair it’s a weird line through there, I didn’t commit enough on the last section the long left is treated as a double apexran a little wide there but not enough to really mess it all up, on leaving that it’s a b line to the right hander not taken wide but straight through carrying speed which was pretty close to spot on, as I come up the hill in good condition tip to the right of centre(a couple meters from the paint on the right) but at the crest I should have closed the throttle and commited, tipped a bit more and rolled into the next right rather than standing her up and come off like a fool,
    The line is weird as **** and some of the lads run it like I was trying to, and others like you say are getting over the paint on the right before I came off, I did the tuition with Steve Brogan here and that was his line, so was Goin with it, but a hesitation put me over and into the trap, might get a “fast” lap up later today or tomorrow if ya like,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭traco

Swapped from a yellow plate to a white plate. Pricey but of plastic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

436328.jpg
    Fresh oil

Done some chain maintenance, went through a few other checks and gave the Zed a good wash and polish in preparation for a charity ride out tomorrow.

The bike is sparking now, which means hail, sleet and snow tomorrow lol.

436373.jpg

436374.jpg

436375.jpg

And now she's all wrapped up and put to bed :D

436376.jpg

Anyone else going on the annual Rathmines Womens Refuge run tomorrow?.

I'll be at Statoil Ballymun/Santry cross at 11am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Looking good Mak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Now the real work begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Done some chain maintenance, went through a few other checks and gave the Zed a good wash and polish in preparation for a charity ride out tomorrow.

The bike is sparking now, which means hail, sleet and snow tomorrow lol.

436373.jpg

436374.jpg

436375.jpg

And now she's all wrapped up and put to bed :D

436376.jpg

Anyone else going on the annual Rathmines Womens Refuge run tomorrow?.

I'll be at Statoil Ballymun/Santry cross at 11am

Are ye defrosting the christmas ham at the same time......:D

Are ye defrosting the christmas ham at the same time......:D

The last photo?.. My son calls it 'the space ship' lol

Well she (Zed Zeppelin :p ) scrubbed up well for the ride out today.

436432.jpg

436433.jpg

2017 Womens Refuge charity ride out. The shelter gives shelter to women and their children who are victims of domestic violence.

Imagine being the kind of bastard who beats the sh*t out of those he should cherish and protect. Those kunts make me sick.

Don't forget about the men too.....most seem to put up with it tho....; (

Don't forget about the men too.....most seem to put up with it tho....; (

And lets not forget the non binary people, and the people who today self identify as helicopter gunships, lizard people or whatever the fook crazy idea's millennials come up with these days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I did something with my bike... I let it run out of fckukingingsh petrol around 4 miles from home.... at 3 am.....

And worse is a biker rode past me :v I was sure I'd built up some good karma the time I got in a fight with an ex girlfriend to let me out of the car in the rain to help a stranded biker but nah..... a 9 mile walk all in to get home, get a petrol can, get petrol and walk back to the bike :(

I've been on that rideout before - good cause - just need to be careful at the end cause some of the kids are traumatised at the sight of men because of what they've been through. Doesn't bear thinking about especially with what's been in the news today.

I once ran out of juice on the Tallaght Bypass and had to push in a couple of miles until nearly Templeogue to get fuel... do you think any cager on the Spawell roundabout would give way to a rider in distress trying to push their bike across the side road.. NO.. cnuts... I was waiting about ten minutes to get through one junction. Selfish wnakers.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

I've been on that rideout before - good cause - just need to be careful at the end cause some of the kids are traumatised at the sight of men because of what they've been through. Doesn't bear thinking about especially with what's been in the news today.

The families are actually counciled for the week before we visit. They're prepared for us and told that there's going to be men in the shelter (men are barred for obvious reasons) but that they're kind men who won't be violent or abusive.

It boils my piss. In fact for a number of years I couldn't go in, I found it too upsetting (for personal reasons). And I wasn't the only one.

We'd a lovely ride out to a home for adults with sever intellectual disabilities last week. Some of the lads were a little upset seeing adults with the mental capacity of children, and it was upsetting ~ but to put it into perspective my OH hit the nail on the head and she said that these people were living a forever childhood and that meeting so many Santa's had made their forever childhood that little more special for a few hours.

Seriously it was a beautiful experience.

The families are actually counciled for the week before we visit. They're prepared for us and told that there's going to be men in the shelter (men are barred for obvious reasons) but that they're kind men who won't be violent or abusive.

It boils my piss. In fact for a number of years I couldn't go in, I found it too upsetting (for personal reasons). And I wasn't the only one.

We'd a lovely ride out to a home for adults with sever intellectual disabilities last week. Some of the lads were a little upset seeing adults with the mental capacity of children, and it was upsetting ~ but to put it into perspective my OH hit the nail on the head and she said that these people were living a forever childhood and that meeting so many Santa's had made their forever childhood that little more special for a few hours.

Seriously it was a beautiful experience.

Ive a cracker of a photo of you in yer Santy suit photobombing my picture on Sunday.:pac::D

• Advertisement

Ive a cracker of a photo of you in yer Santy suit photobombing my picture on Sunday.:pac::D

Well stick it up so!!!!
    Oh,I forgot,you don't know how to post pics!!:P

Go on, post it and shame me .. Nothing could be worse than the Ohlins sticker :mad:

Go on, post it and shame me .. Nothing could be worse than the Ohlins sticker :mad:

I cant reveal Santas secret identity though,or can I??:P:D:D

Ah no its a nice pic,and a nice pic of your bike too.:)

I cant reveal Santas secret identity though,or can I??:P:D:D

Ah no its a nice pic,and a nice pic of your bike too.:)

Show me?.. I don't mind my face being shown, I mean I don't waken every morning wish I was this damned sexy, but sh*t happens :D

Time for some new paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Might be a stupid question but is it always necessary to bleed brakes after topping up the reservoirs ?

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question but is it always necessary to bleed brakes after topping up the reservoirs ?
    I'm no expert but:
    no it's not always necessary, but the reason you're topping up the reservoir is that the pads have worn and so the pistons are at resting more pushed out and the vacuum caused by this and the lower amount of fluid will mean it'll be pulling in air with moisture

if your black rubber seal has been sucked down into the reservoir then while you're topping it up you might as well push through the old fluid lower down in the system which will be quite moist. the vacuum that caused that to push down will have also pulled in moist air

there is no point in topping it up except to stop the level dropping enough to allow air into the system, and if it's dropped that much then your pads are probably worn down a good bit and it would be worth giving the calipers a good clean anyway with a full flush of new fluid

so if you're just topping it up then you don't need to bleed them, but if you need to top it up then generally I see no reason not to push some of the old fluid out when you're already going to the bother of filling it up. Doesn't take long at all when the caliper is already bled properly anyway

just my opinion though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Cheers frozen. Based on that I think I'll get away with just the to up for now.

If you're not used to checking your levels it might be worth looking in your owners manual or online to see if you should check with your bike on the side stand or vertical because you'll get two different levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The fluid in the calipers is the dirtiest due to the action of the pistons moving in and out and pulling dirt and moisture in as they do so.
    When I do pads I crack the nipple and push back on the piston to flush as much of the old stuff out as possible instead of pushing it back up the line.

If you top up due to worn pads, you could have a problem when you put new pads in. When you push the pistons back, the fluid level could go over the max or even overflow, and it's a very efficient paint stripper.

If there are no leaks and the fluid is at max on new pads, you should be able to wear the pads out without having to top up. As long as the lever feel remains firm I wouldn't change the fluid or bleed the brakes unless the fluid needed a change (2 years recommended) or the calipers needed a complete strip and clean due to seizing pistons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The fluid in the calipers is the dirtiest due to the action of the pistons moving in and out and pulling dirt and moisture in as they do so.
    When I do pads I crack the nipple and push back on the piston to flush as much of the old stuff out as possible instead of pushing it back up the line.

I do the same, especially when there is an ABS pump upstream

Out with the old,and in with the new.:)

438230.jpg

438231.jpg

438232.jpg

438233.jpg

GI-Pro gear indicator fitted,new plastic clock housing fitted.
    And Mr Postman delivered some more goodies this morning too.:)

438449.jpg

438447.jpg

438448.jpg

Wheels just out of the oven.:)

Should I have gone for a brighter yellow,like a hi viz yellow??

438457.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Did you take the bearings out ?

jay48 wrote: »
    Did you take the bearings out ?

I sure did,will get new bearings and seals on Monday.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

What are you building Stewy? Track/race bike or something for the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

No pics, but today (yesterday rather) I ACF-50'd my bike.

Looks glorious!

sonic85 wrote: »
    What are you building Stewy? Track/race bike or something for the road?

600rr it seems...

Lightech quick release fuel cap fitted.
    The alloy allen key blts supplied are absolute shyte,so up to Allmetal Fastners for some ss bolts instead.:)

438714.jpg

438715.jpg

438716.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Full service today and I also installed a Scott oiler.

Had to drill one of the nuts out of a faring as the head was rounded, absolutely bulling over that took forever.

Scott oiler was a pain to get going and primed but all done now runs off vacuum from the engine which is handy

listermint wrote: »
    Full service today and I also installed a Scott oiler.

Had to drill one of the nuts out of a faring as the head was rounded, absolutely bulling over that took forever.

Scott oiler was a pain to get going and primed but all done now runs off vacuum from the engine which is handy

Every so often Aldi and Lidl have extractor kits for sale, I think I picked up mine for about a fiver and they work a treat. Well worth having in your toolbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Every so often Aldi and Lidl have extractor kits for sale, I think I picked up mine for about a fiver and they work a treat. Well worth having in your toolbox.

I have one, but left it in the parents house. Which made my drilling even more frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Street triple 2010
    • New back break pads
    • Resprayed tank and front fender
    • Nearly new forks (old ones had a spot of wore down crome that was wearing out seals)
    • Heated grips
    • Made a new cover for the head bolt as the old one was letting in dirt.
    • New chain and sprockets (not too long ago)
    • New alternator cover

just up and down to Carlingford to test her

38975373305_60c2c641be_c.jpg
    26001281898_1e422532c2_c.jpg
    38975374605_de58bf5cc8_c.jpg
    26001281368_12cd83bd58_c.jpg
    cosy hand grips
    38975374115_724b4c5f5e_c.jpg

Bit of extreme weight saving going on tonight.
    Possibly bitten off more than I can chew....lol

439679.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

My pics have vanished.
    photobucket are looking for money to host my pictures - is there anywhere that does it for free????

or does everyone else who posts pictures have a subscription???
    cheers

mufflets2 wrote: »
    My pics have vanished.
    photobucket are looking for money to host my pictures - is there anywhere that does it for free????

or does everyone else who posts pictures have a subscription???
    cheers

Google Photos, Flickr among others.

2vtz049.jpg

Bled the clutch on my Tuono but I think it's time to order a nice new Oberon slave cylinder.
    Also ordered a rear tyre for it.

Low sided yesterday morning coming off a roundabout

Same side as last time so gear peg, clutch lever bent, nose and tail scratched and foot peg bent

Used an indicator as a gear peg to ride home

Helmet has a scratch now too so will have to replace that although I definitely didn't hit my head hard

Need a trike or something instead that I can't fall off lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Low sided yesterday morning coming off a roundabout

Same side as last time so gear peg, clutch lever bent, nose and tail scratched and foot peg bent

Used an indicator as a gear peg to ride home

Helmet has a scratch now too so will have to replace that although I definitely didn't hit my head hard

Need a trike or something instead that I can't fall off lol

Sorry to hear that. Did you hit a patch of oil?

Advertisement