Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

be interested to hear how it turns out

Yep, I'll let you know.
    I bought it here
    http://www.carcovershop.co.uk/airchamber-protection.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Race suspension service today.
    Thanks to NDM for top quality work.:)

440567.jpg

440568.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

blade1 wrote: »
    Bought one of these air chambers.
    Apparently you can put in a wet bike and it will dry it.
    We'll see how it goes.
    From the little bit of research I done, it seems to be favoured over another system called Carcoon.
    2nsnuvb.jpg

You know you'll end up like this if you stay in it too long......:p

14636912686624.jpg?w=1024&quality=80&strip=all&h=672

You know you'll end up like this if you stay in it too long......:p

BEAT IT!!!

Oh oh, it's started already!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Small bit of maintenance today.

Removed, cleaned, greased and refitted very stiff (Fnarr!) side stand.

Greased up ignition barrel as it too has been very stick in its action. Something the Fazers suffer from, apparently.

Changed the battery in my tyre pressure gauge and set the tyre pressures.

Topped up the oil. The old five valve Exups like a bit of oil, they do.

Very theraputic to potter about for a morning, doing little jobs on the bike.

The tabs on the expansion bottle on my Tuono were broken when I bought it so had a eye out for a cheap one to pop up on e-bay.
    €13.70 and free postage from Lithuania...
    That'll do nicely :)

io3dqc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

BEAT IT!!!

Oh oh, it's started already!:o

That was Bad.

lennymc wrote: »
    That was Bad.

And that was worse :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I had them on my old R1100S and thought they were superb. I replaced them with PR3's and then Bridgestone T30's and honestly I thought I should have saved the money by going back to the Conti's.

The GS I'm getting needed new rubber, and going on my past with the Conti Road Attacks (I know yours are 'Sport Attacks')
    I asked for Conti Trail Attacks.

That reads like a mess, hope you make sense of it. At €100 I'd jump on them considering my Z1000 was coming up on needing a new 190/55 on the rear and PR5's and the new T31's were coming in at double that price.

Fair play.

Just going back to the Conti tyres, JD's put on Road Attack II's on my GS instead of the dual sport Trail Attacks lol.. Yup, a pure road tyre on a dual sport bike ~ sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Just going back to the Conti tyres, JD's put on Road Attack II's on my GS instead of the dual sport Trail Attacks lol.. Yup, a pure road tyre on a dual sport bike ~ sigh.

Did you get the blame that they were the wrong tyres ? More importantly theyre not wrong if you're the only one saying theyre wrong :P

On a more serious note. Check the manufacture date on the tyres, that model has been around for a good few years and has already been superseded.

went to a bike show today.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Did you get the blame that they were the wrong tyres ? More importantly theyre not wrong if you're the only one saying theyre wrong :P

On a more serious note. Check the manufacture date on the tyres, that model has been around for a good few years and has already been superseded.

I might do that actually (check the dates).

I'm not hugely peeved about it, or rather I'm not terribly surprised. But unlike a lot of GS riders I don't mind taking a bike off road onto light trails.

I've to go back to have the service and replacement battery marked up and stamped into the owners manual, depending on my mood (I'll be calling in on my way home from a 24hr shift on Tuesday, I'm not at my best after one of those shifts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Quite often I find myself thinking that I'd love to save up and get myself a nice GS or RT from one of the Motorads, and then I see so many posts just like yours that put me off so much.

You can spend 20 grand on a bike, or less if secondhand, and they can't even put on the damn tyres you ask for, and you can be damn sure they'll kick off about it too.

Lads, you're far more patient than me.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Quite often I find myself thinking that I'd love to save up and get myself a nice GS or RT from one of the Motorads, and then I see so many posts just like yours that put me off so much.

You can spend 20 grand on a bike, or less if secondhand, and they can't even put on the damn tyres you ask for, and you can be damn sure they'll kick off about it too.

Lads, you're far more patient than me.

I bought secondhand.. Tbh with you, and to be fair to JD's too they haven't been all that bad at all, its just small things which are annoying.

Pro's ~ their sales staff have been genuinely very helpful and pleasant to deal with when both my son and I bought our bikes recently.

He had a problem with his alarm, it had to go back to have the fob re-programmed. Not a big deal, but it had to go back again for the fab ~ but it turned out that the battery needed replacing, this could happen anywhere.

Both our bikes were secondhand, and we got 12 month BMW manufacturers warranty with European wide roadside assist.. Compare that to Bikeworld who offer a 3 month shop warranty lol.

I'm really delighted with the bike I got, and the 12 month warranty is a huge confidence boost.

I'd have preferred a dual sport tyre, but hey I'm really not losing sleep over it and tbh if I was going to do anything more than very light trails I'd buy spare rims with very good dual sport tyres ~ the beauty of the GS is that rims can be changed in minutes.

And hey when I bring the owners manual back to have the service stamped I'll get free coffee lol.

It make not reflect it here, but overall I'm happy with JD ~ I'd like to make that clear, and I would recommend them.

If I was to suddenly change my mind and wish to go new, or change my bike for a newer model I'd go straight to them, honestly.

went to a bike show today.

i was a bit disappointed with the show. Lots of nice new bikes, but not a lot in the way of gear - only visorshop really in attendance.

Did get to sit on the new h2 sx se which was nice.

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    i was a bit disappointed with the show. Lots of nice new bikes, but not a lot in the way of gear - only visorshop really in attendance.

Did get to sit on the new h2 sx se which was nice.

I sure did,lots of Kwackers and H2s on display.:)

Not a single Ducati though.

Tyre fitted and going back on now.
    Are they making tyres different these days or something.
    Last few tyres i got had no dot for balance and also didn't need to be balanced when fitted.

x0xm36.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tyre fitted and going back on now.
    Are they making tyres different these days or something.
    Last few tyres i got had no dot for balance and also didn't need to be balanced when fitted.

x0xm36.jpg

Tyre technology has moved on, very few tyres have yellow or red dots these days, the balance is pretty good straight out of the mould.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Tyre technology has moved on, very few tyres have yellow or red dots these days, the balance is pretty good straight out of the mould.

Tbf they're on every car tyre I've bought new recently

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf they're on every car tyre I've bought new recently

Car tyres are a different animal, closer to tractor tyres:D
    Michelin have the C3M process which is largely computer controlled and can make tyres on site, They were making their race tyres trackside back in the tyre wars.
    Lots of others have the same tech now as well, Pirelli have a version called MIRS.
    When they make them and cure them on the form they don't have the same problems as they used to with heavy layers starting and finishing at the same point.

• Advertisement

Air chamber arrived.
    This should be fun
    Size when up is 4.5m x 2m x 1.8m.
    2w54pzb.jpg

^^^^^ If it doesn't work, don't blame it on the sunshine, don't blame it on the moonlight, don't blame it on the good times. Blame it on the boogie

Today I fcuked my bike into the back of a van and sent it off down the road.

441075.jpg

Just an update on the Air Chamber.
    I'll start with the bad.

First, it's supposed to inflate fully when you plug it in.
    It didn't.
    It got to about 1/3 of the way and I think the air isn't powerful enough to push the weight of it up any further.
    Luckily there are 4 rings in the top corners so ended up tying it to the roof of the shed.

Secondly, I got into it and gave around 2 hours trying to fit all the poles in the right spots but no matter what I did, I seemed to be short on both sides.
    Turns out I am short some poles.

Now the good.
    Very well made and looks better in real life than it did on line.
    I put 4 very wet bikes into last night at 10pm last night and I checked them at 5am this morning and they were bone dry.
    So seems to do a fantastic job.
    Also,power consumption, from reading of others with one, it should work out between €10 and €20 per year.

Can tent poles be bought separately in shops as that's all the poles I'm missing are.
    It's up but fairly flaccid!
    1o3dvl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes they can, but cheaper online try eBay or Amazon

listermint wrote: »
    Yes they can, but cheaper online try eBay or Amazon

Ok thanks,I may just wait for the crowd I ordered it off to send them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hmm could be a solution for me as the dopes who owned this house before me never put a DPC in the shed floor :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

Hmm could be a solution for me as the dopes who owned this house before me never put a DPC in the shed floor :rolleyes:

Just an update with this.
    I have a serious condensation problem in my shed.
    There is a DPC and it's well ventilated.
    I think it's something to do with the dew point (maybe)
    I have been using different type bags with silica gel on bikes that I don't take out much over the winter.
    Problem is, I get the urge to ride one, it's a pain in the hole taking it out.

I went to the shed the other morning and the outside of the air chamber was covered in condensation.
    Entered it and there was condensation on 2 bikes..

Was thinking about sending it back.
    Thought I'd try one more thing.
    I switched off the fans and covered them up.
    I also threw a few bags of silica gel in it.

Yesterday, checked on it.
    Condensation on the outside again.
    Went in and bikes were bone dry.

So from my experience so far..
    Good to dry wet bikes as long as it is not very damp air that's being fanned into it.
    Not great at keeping bikes dry if very damp air in shed.
    Seems to work better sealed and silica gel used.
    I have 4 bags of this silica gel in it at the moment.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F281240594725

I have a bag with that, that I got off Louis.
    Must say, can't fault it.
    Had my mille in it all last winter and the bike came out as it went in.

• Advertisement

Today i collected my WP WSS front forks from Steve in NDM.
    The man is a suspension building guru.:)

441862.jpg

441864.jpg

441863.jpg

441865.jpg

Tell Steve to fill in that hole before someone sue's him............:D

Ok thanks,I may just wait for the crowd I ordered it off to send them.

You couldn't make this shît up...
    The poles that I was short for the air chamber arrived today.
    Well, when I say they arrived, I mean some of them arrived.
    Fûckin hole in the bag.
    2qdwwvk.jpg

What was that sellers name? Just so I can avoid buying anything from a useless shower.

What was that sellers name? Just so I can avoid buying anything from a useless shower.

Carcoversuk.
    I took that as car covers UK but now realize it is car cover suk! :pac:
    I was on the verge of claiming a refund off paypal when I called them to give them a bollocking.
    Your man's attitude made me cool down but last chance to get it right.

If I was sending poles in the mail, I'd be at least using rubber band to hold them together and then wrapping them, just throwing them loose in a bag is a recipe for disaster.

If I was sending poles in the mail, I'd be at least using rubber band to hold them together and then wrapping them, just throwing them loose in a bag is a recipe for disaster.

Exactly.
    They were also crammed in diagonally.
    Also a bit of packaging tape on sides for extra security wouldn't have went astray.

Time for some tasty CNC machining work.:)

441986.jpg

441987.jpg

441988.jpg

Time for some tasty CNC machining work.:)

441986.jpg

441987.jpg

441988.jpg

Nice, Neil Spalding makes nice stuff, pity he no longer commentates on MotoGP.

• Advertisement

Bit more carbon and better airflow

Things are taking shape now.:)

445614.jpg

The compressor I'm getting for my birthday is being delivered today. Ssssshhh, its's a surprise :) !!

I'm going to use it for applying ACF50 to our bikes and then learning to paint at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Nice
    Oh, and Happy B-Day too D3

Bit more carbon and better airflow

Reminds me of something...oh yeah....

zxenoraptor_from_pitch_black_by_dopepope-d6tee93.jpg

Bit of mapping today and testing race rad setup

Note the great use of the pliers....lol

Poxy Chinese rearsets missing a part to connect the shift rod and quickshifter,so cant be used.

445713.jpg

• Advertisement

Bit of mapping today and testing race rad setup

Note the great use of the pliers....lol

Poxy Chinese rearsets missing a part to connect the shift rod and quickshifter,so cant be used.

445713.jpg

Have to ask mate..have you raced before.??..seems like a HUGE amount of time and money going into the bike...

Here's me doing my best Bane impression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Have to ask mate..have you raced before.??..seems like a HUGE amount of time and money going into the bike...

Stewy is our resident mad man, this is what he does :D

D3V!L wrote: »
    Here's me doing my best Bane impression

Quite sinister looking alright!:pac:
    I'd be adding a water separator to that compressor before spraying anything.;)

Quite sinister looking alright!:pac:
    I'd be adding a water separator to that compressor before spraying anything.;)

You'll have to tell me what thats for ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement