Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

ropae2n.jpg

New screen and bar end mirrors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Lighter vented 2013 front mudguard fitted just now.

Chap in Honda said it no way it wouldn't fit........shows what they know....lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lighter vented 2013 front mudguard fitted just now.

Chap in Honda said it no way it wouldn't fit........shows what they know....lol.

Where's the problem?
    I can't make it out on my phone.

I like your discs btw. ;)

blade1 wrote: »
    Where's the problem?
    I can't make it out on my phone.

I like your discs btw. ;)

No problem.
    Just showing that the 2013 lighter and vented mudguard fitted with no problem at all.
    Yet Honda said I wouldn't be able to fit it to a 2006 bike.

Discs are Galfer 330mm wavies with Brembo M4 monoblock calipers,SBS Race Pads and Brembo 19-18 MC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'd say that slows down quite nicely now.

Nearly crashed again today about 5 back to back lock go lock fishtails. Don't know how I saved it but even a taxi driver came over and stopped when he saw me a minute later and said it was some serious save no idea how I didn't lose it.

I've no idea either but Michelin pilot road 4 strikes again. Utter ****e from my experience for giving feedback before it's going to let go.

I also need to drive 10x more carefully in the wet

Glad you and bike are on 1 piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Glad you and bike are on 1 piece.

Sounds like oil...

It has happened 4 times now at least

2 low sides, today's fish tail, and a decent kick out of the rear one day in kerry

Many other times it's been squirming around randomly but it feels perfect normally, so much that you ride without enough caution for wet grip and then the tyre just spins up like you're on ice.

Wish I had a video of today's one. I have a video somewhere of the one in kerry from someone following me. Today's was properly full lock to the left and full lock to the right over and over again and I kept changing the amount of throttle over and over as the angle got less and less. Wouldn't bet money I'd ever be able to repeat it successfully.

Went for a nice spin then Galway to ballyvaughan for a bit of food and coffee again. Every road in and out of there is great.

450512.jpg

450513.jpg

Stopped in a garage in ballindereen to borrow a 24mm spanner just to take a bit of slop out of the chain just so there'd be less lash on and off the throttle to make it less likely to break traction. Sound lad working there and his kids were up sitting on my bike fixing the kriega bags for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd say that slows down quite nicely now.

Nearly crashed again today about 5 back to back lock go lock fishtails. Don't know how I saved it but even a taxi driver came over and stopped when he saw me a minute later and said it was some serious save no idea how I didn't lose it.

I've no idea either but Michelin pilot road 4 strikes again. Utter ****e from my experience for giving feedback before it's going to let go.

I also need to drive 10x more carefully in the wet

I moved from Michelin annakee on mine to Bridgestone bt A40 the annakees are awwwwful in rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Driving around the Burren is one of my favorite. if you get a chance stop in The Burren Perfumery, the have a small coffee shop with an excellent home made carrot cake

https://burrenperfumery.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Riva10 wrote: »

Dick Emery had one of the first CB750s imported into the UK.

450532.jpg

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Many other times it's been squirming around randomly but it feels perfect normally

Mine used to feel the same now and again the back end would feel really loose, I wonder is it the rear shock? Once I changed mine out I never had the issue again, someone with more knowledge than me might know better but it could be that and not the tyres

I have noticed I have a raised edge on the back of all tread so could be something to do with suspension alright

Raised edge on the front of all treads actually I was thinking about it backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Raised edge on the front of all treads actually I was thinking about it backwards

I had an SV650 on PR4s and could almost say 100% I never locked the rear once. This is a torquey bike though with lots of engine braking so be careful not to hammer down through the gears, coming off the throttle gives lots of braking alone, maybe you need to blip on decel more and downshift less.

Check your pressures, I found there was a huge difference in a couple of PSI with this bike and tyre combo. The tyre would feel like it was squirming if PSI was even a little low and the feedback was all wrong, I checked the pressures weekly when I had the SV. I used to go one or 2 over the recommended.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    I had an SV650 on PR4s and could almost say 100% I never locked the rear once. This is a torquey bike though with lots of engine braking so be careful not to hammer down through the gears, coming off the throttle gives lots of braking alone, maybe you need to blip on decel more and downshift less.

Check your pressures, I found there was a huge difference in a couple of PSI with this bike and tyre combo. The tyre would feel like it was squirming if PSI was even a little low and the feedback was all wrong, I checked the pressures weekly when I had the SV. I used to go one or 2 over the recommended.
    Thanks
    I check pressure a lot and do 33 36r which has always been grand

I don't think ive have a problem with the engine braking it's always under acceleration I'm losing traction. Nearly always on bad road surface so I think I'll try a different rear shock. I'm constantly getting bounced out of the seat anyway so a different shock can't make it any worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Thanks
    I check pressure a lot and do 33 36r which has always been grand

I don't think ive have a problem with the engine braking it's always under acceleration I'm losing traction. Nearly always on bad road surface so I think I'll try a different rear shock. I'm constantly getting bounced out of the seat anyway so a different shock can't make it any worse

Sorry, you're description made me think it was on decel you were getting the slides. Well again, it is a torquey bike so can be easy to spin up the back on a greasy spot exiting corners and turns if powering down too much but I imagine you've considered this already.

Before you change the shock, play with the preload, this is probably why you're bouncing and also losing traction. That or the shock is a goner but adjust it before changing it.

zubair wrote: »
    Sorry, you're description made me think it was on decel you were getting the slides. Well again, it is a torquey bike so can be easy to spin up the back on a greasy spot exiting corners and turns if powering down too much but I imagine you've considered this already.

Before you change the shock, play with the preload, this is probably why you're bouncing and also losing traction. That or the shock is a goner but adjust it before changing it.

Took all the preload out this morning and there was still no static sag and there is nearly no rebound, takes a very long time to get back up to fully returned. Think the shock is definitely dead. Not sure what to replace it with that would suit my weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Took all the preload out this morning and there was still no static sag and there is nearly no rebound, takes a very long time to get back up to fully returned. Think the shock is definitely dead. Not sure what to replace it with that would suit my weight

Lots of options new, YSS, etc. The Shock factory will build a custom one for 350 stg. Wilbers and Hyperpro.
    If you don't want to spend on a shock it might be worth lookig for a secondhand one but that could be like yours.
    Its a lottery with secondhand suspension stuff unless its been serviced.
    servicing might be a better bet
    https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/suzuki-sv650-shock-absorber-rebuild-repair-service.html

The conversion chart is below, gsxr 750 k6/k7 looks like a decent swap and not much messing to fit, cheap on fleabay too

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IIrxmjyvwgXI-tWVbi4f0P5GhcMPC7CxXQCZ6dYVad0/edit#gid=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

Replaced Standard number plate holder with R&G Tail tidy and replaced exhaust with a stainless Slip on,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Changed brush plate in my KTM starter motor, cant believe the difference.

The starter had stopped working last week.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Picked up a puncture in my rear stock Pirelli Phantom after 17k kms. Yes! Finally a weak excuse to fit some new tyres. I thought the Phantoms would never die.

Searched this forum for recommendations and went with Pirelli Angels. First impressions excellent, pushed it a bit after 50k of easy riding and they feel great.

anyone fitted carbon frame protectors in the past? any tips? fitting ones monday/tuesday

cadete wrote: »
    anyone fitted carbon frame protectors in the past? any tips? fitting ones monday/tuesday

Use some tec7.
    Don't use much. You want to let rain water get out so don't just run a constant bead around them.

A few dabs here and there is all you need.

Then once in place use cable ties to secure and leave over night.

That's how I did the R1 and S1000rr.

Use some tec7.
    Don't use much. You want to let rain water get out so don't just run a constant bead around them.

A few dabs here and there is all you need.

Then once in place use cable ties to secure and leave over night.

That's how I did the R1 and S1000rr.

Nice one! Photos incoming!

I'd be wary of those if buying a secondhand bike, good way to hide dings in the frame...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Ordered lots of parts for the bike...updates as the work commences... :)

So finally finished my fairings, rattle can and stickers, looks ok from a distance, up close is a bit ropey :o
    Fitted upgraded ohlins rear shock, new front goodridge lines, upgraded k-tech springs, brembo m/c, quick shifter and pc3, can’t wait to see how she handles now

yYvOBda.jpg

mixhMaU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Iv been getting a rattling noise from my bike for the last few days, I thought maybe my cam chain tensioner or clutch was giving up but lucky enough it was just the disk in the Leo Vence slip on rattling. So while the spanners were out I put in new chain and sprockets, oil and filter and a coolant flush and change. Lube and adjusted clutch and throttle cables to. All sorted for another year of neglect:)

• Advertisement

..and a €2 toggle switch.....oh the shame of it.....:P

I washed my bikes today and got 6 months.................

My front brakes were gone to shit and I didn't have time last weekend for a full strip and clean, thought doing one side would be enough to get me out of jail for a while :) so I unbolted one caliper and freed up the pistons, unfortunately (aftermarket very small master cylinder) I uncovered the brake fluid inlet and drew air into the system. Bled the side I was working on, the right hand side closest to the master cylinder, got a couple of small bubbles out but the lever feel was still shyte. So I bled the other side, which I hadn't disturbed and by gravity no air should have entered, and got a shitload of bubbles out, go figure, but the lever feel is now rock solid. Still need to strip the other side, put new pads in on both sides and put the fabled red rubber grease in, but in the meantime I'm slightly less likely to kill myself :)

Scrap the cap!

I'm a strong believer in the protective powers of a layer of dirt! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

Scrap the cap!

any recommendations on what rear tyre to go for next

have a pilot road 4 front on with plenty of life left

pilot road 4 rear which is properly down to next to no tread in the centre but plenty left on the sides however I was doing a good bit of dual carriageway stuff which I don't do anymore so a super hard centre isn't really too high on my list

options seem to be
    PR4: 138 euro
    PR5: 148 euro
    Metzler m7 rr: 147 euro
    Michelin Power RS: 149 euro

anything else worth looking at?

160/60 size on an sv650s

any recommendations on what rear tyre to go for next

have a pilot road 4 front on with plenty of life left

pilot road 4 rear which is properly down to next to no tread in the centre but plenty left on the sides however I was doing a good bit of dual carriageway stuff which I don't do anymore so a super hard centre isn't really too high on my list

options seem to be
    PR4: 138 euro
    PR5: 148 euro
    Metzler m7 rr: 147 euro
    Michelin Power RS: 149 euro

anything else worth looking at?

160/60 size on an sv650s

A lad down the road from me got the Michelin RS' a few weeks ago.
    He told me they are unreal.

I'm a strong believer in the protective powers of a layer of dirt! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

I use the same analogy with my neck....................:P

ordered pilot power RS front and rear

160/60 R and 120/70 F. I had a 120/70 profile front before and way preferred it to my current 120/60 that I have as a pilot road 4

tempted to just take off the pilot road 4 front for the summer and put it back on later in the year

it is expensive but not worth saving 30 euro for something per corner that lasts a year for me and makes such a big difference to the handling of the bike IMO

I need to replace a fork seal and sort out my rear shock, it's way too hard there is zero static sag with the bike and it's generally just bouncing me out of the seat. Also need to do engine oil change, might do that today.

since I'll be holding onto the sv for another year at least I am tempted to put a gsxr front end on it or get cartridge inserts for my standard forks etc. Front end is expensive but it's new brakes too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Hi, Im taking apart my K1200S. Anyone know how to remove this or what tool is needed?

30ikkza.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

jamescd wrote: »
    Hi, Im taking apart my K1200S. Anyone know how to remove this or what tool is needed?

30ikkza.jpg

It's a special tool, either available from a bmw dealer or modify a socket to put 4 teeth on it

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Today I tested my new Silverline torque wrench supplied by Amazon. I managed to shear the final drive shaft oil filler cover on my deauville 700.
    Tomorrow I will search around for the deauville oil cover OR a c50-90 tappet cover OR a cbr500 etc etc ... It's widely used it seems. But I need bike running on Friday.
    I'm in Limerick and the nearest one I've found is 90km away.
    I'm sending the wrench back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mopi wrote: »
    Today I tested my new Silverline torque wrench supplied by Amazon. I managed to shear the final drive shaft oil filler cover on my deauville 700.
    Tomorrow I will search around for the deauville oil cover OR a c50-90 tappet cover OR a cbr500 etc etc ... It's widely used it seems. But I need bike running on Friday.

Are you confident the Torque values you have are accurate. There is alot of nonsense on the Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

The oil filler cap has an O ring, I wouldn't bother with a torque wrench on it. Just nip it up, check for leaks.

If you're using a big torque wrench at the bottom end of its range, it's very easy to not feel the click. You need a small torque wrench for small jobs (if you really need one for small / non-critical fasteners at all...)

Scrap the cap!

I would hazard a guess that you didn't set the torque correctly, you dont need torque wrench for what you did. You need a torque wrench for internal engine parts and wheels, everything else should be common sense

Put up a link of the wrench you bought and what NM you set it to..

When I google silverline torque wrench it says the minimum NM it will do is 22 which is way too high for a bolt on oil cover

• Advertisement

yesterday got two new tyres on. michelin power RS 120/70 front and 160/60 rear

wore the tyres around my waist like hoola hoops and it was actually handy enough. Brought the spent tyres home the same way

I had been putting wd40 on my rear shock preload adjustor rings for a week once or twice a day and with the help of the guy who was doing the tyres and a big hammer and punch now I have the preload wound all the way out on the shock and it actually squats when I sit on it now and when I go over a bump the rear tyre stays in contact with the ground

bike feels great. fresh brake fluid few weeks ago, oil and filter the day before yesterday, rear shock softened up to a usable level and now 2 new sticky tyres.

Next thing to do is fork seals. Not sure which kit to get but the guy out the road is doing them for me for a seriously sound price if I bring him just the forks and new seals.

Still haven't booked the track training day at mondello because all this stuff is pretty expensive at the moment so not sure if I'll be able to

455574.jpg

Can't believe you were effectively riding a hardtail :pac: good that you got it sorted.

Scrap the cap!

Can't believe you were effectively riding a hardtail :pac: good that you got it sorted.

Was barely at all able to compress the shock even jumping up and down with the bike on the paddock stand it was only moving a tiny bit

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

wore the tyres around my waist like hoola hoops and it was actually handy enough. Brought the spent tyres home the same way

I had been putting wd40 on my rear shock preload adjustor rings for a week once or twice a day and with the help of the guy who was doing the tyres and a big hammer and punch now I have the preload wound all the way out on the shock and it actually squats when I sit on it now and when I go over a bump the rear tyre stays in contact with the ground

bike feels great. fresh brake fluid few weeks ago, oil and filter the day before yesterday, rear shock softened up to a usable level and now 2 new sticky tyres.

Next thing to do is fork seals. Not sure which kit to get but the guy out the road is doing them for me for a seriously sound price if I bring him just the forks and new seals.

Still haven't booked the track training day at mondello because all this stuff is pretty expensive at the moment so not sure if I'll be able to

455574.jpg

Any pictures of you talking the tires home😂

455574.jpg

Ya b0ll0x....couldnt get a 20" tyre around my waist.............:(:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement