Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

D3V!L wrote: »
    Very interesting ! Has your driving style changed at all ?

She hasn't mentioned anything :p

But nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

She hasn't mentioned anything :p

But nope.

Driving , not riding :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Schools are off, I'm getting 20 more miles out of my tank at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    All done just waiting for my slave cylinder to arrive now.
    2nhepv7.jpg

Slave cylinder hasn't turned up so I got onto seller on eBay.
    They said yep, it was delivered on the 20th and signed for by "parcel motel".
    I said why would it be signed for by parcel motel when the address I gave was parcel wizard.
    Seller says oh well, it says successful delivery here so nothing we can do.
    If I have a problem take it up with royal mail and parcel motel.

I get onto PayPal and tell them I want a refund as my item was delivered to wrong address.
    They say don't worry,that they'll sort it.
    They get back to me and say they have finished review and have decided against me.WTF?
    Got back on to them and appealled so will have to wait but has me rightly pissed off now.
    I'm doubting now I'll get my money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Slave cylinder hasn't turned up so I got onto seller on eBay.
    They said yep, it was delivered on the 20th and signed for by "parcel motel".
    I said why would it be signed for by parcel motel when the address I gave was parcel wizard.
    Seller says oh well, it says successful delivery here so nothing we can do.
    If I have a problem take it up with royal mail and parcel motel.

I get onto PayPal and tell them I want a refund as my item was delivered to wrong address.
    They say don't worry,that they'll sort it.
    They get back to me and say they have finished review and have decided against me.WTF?
    Got back on to them and appealled so will have to wait but has me rightly pissed off now.
    I'm doubting now I'll get my money back.

never heard of paypal siding against someone like that, normally they are awful for the seller as they are so soft to refund money.. can you appeal again and attach pictures of the address you provided and the reply from the seller saying parcel motel signed for it etc?

• Advertisement

They had the right address on the packet FF.
    It looks like the postman delivered to the wrong place.
    They have all the proof but yet I'm the one left to sort and still might get shafted.
    1zcmzv7.jpg

There may be light at the end of the tunnel yet.
    I'm just off the phone to parcel motel and they said anything that arrives there for parcel wizard they pass it on to them and parcel wizard does likewise for them so kudos to them if it turns up.
    Sounded like postman fùcks it up regularly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There may be light at the end of the tunnel yet.
    I'm just off the phone to parcel motel and they said anything that arrives there for parcel wizard they pass it on to them and parcel wizard does likewise for them so kudos to them if it turns up.
    Sounded like postman fùcks it up regularly!

Try Addresspal, use the home delivery option if necessary I find their service very good.
    No Parcel in the title to get mixed up either!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Try Addresspal, use the home delivery option if necessary I find their service very good.
    No Parcel in the title to get mixed up either!
    I do use that as well CJ.
    It suits for some things but not always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If the delivery service THEY chose fcuks up, it's THEIR fault and the onus is on them to sort it out or refund you. FFS.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement

If the delivery service THEY chose fcuks up, it's THEIR fault and the onus is on them to sort it out or refund you. FFS.

Some bullshīt alright.
    Going by their logic they could hand the packet to their good friend John Smith down the road, he could sign his own name on it and I could basically go fùck myself.
    PayPal seem to agree with them.
    hwzhpk.jpg

I've 2 packets arriving later and if it turns up and my appeal with PayPal is successful,I've a good mind to tell them they can go chasing their money now, I won't be lifting a finger to help them.
    What goes around comes around.

Look what just turned up!
    Playtime! :D
    2w1z4eq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ah sh1t..gutted for ya mate, they sent you the tacky gold one instead of black...ah well.....:P

Ah sh1t..gutted for ya mate, they sent you the tacky gold one instead of black...ah well.....:P

Tacky??
    That's a work of art Max ya Looper!! :D

fns70o.jpg

The slave cylinders are starting to rack up now! :eek:

qospk9.jpg

Tacky??
    That's a work of art Max ya Looper!! :D

The slave cylinders are starting to rack up now! :eek:

qospk9.jpg

Looks like you snook into my parts bin.....:D

?? Thought that'd be a "rebuild every 5 or 10 years with a cheap seal kit" kinda job, so why so many? and why aren't there any rebuild kits?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

?? Thought that'd be a "rebuild every 5 or 10 years with a cheap seal kit" kinda job, so why so many? and why aren't there any rebuild kits?

2 bikes,Tuono +Mille.
    That MPL slave (gold and black one) was on the Mille when I bought it.
    Tried a used OE when that went but didn't last too long so then got a seal kit that lasted about a year.

And the other one off the Tuono.

The clutch cable on my bike is 14 years old.. just sayin' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

Mine is 38yo afaik...:P

• Advertisement

Mine is 38yo afaik...:P

FFS lads do they even get used??:pac:

Incidentally,while I was getting fluid for the clutch at the local bike shop there was an Aprilia RSV factory R there to get a slave cylinder seal kit fitted!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

what's the story with hydraulic clutches is it just to reduce the weight of the clutch pull because they have huge springs on the clutch for all the power?

It's a Triumph and it's the cable that came with the bike. The standard cables are teflon lined so they last a long time.

When you rebuild them with new seals do you use Red Rubber Grease or is the fluid not glycol based like brake fluid?

When you rebuild them with new seals do you use Red Rubber Grease or is the fluid not glycol based like brake fluid?

I only rebuilt once CJ, and I just put it on the rubber seal that pushes the rod.
    I think I put the outer seal into hot water before fitting though.
    I suppose it would be no harm though.

The general feeling with these Aprilia slaves seems to be,just bite the bullet and get an Oberon one and be done with it.
    I have 2 Oberon slaves now.
    So far so good.

Been waiting on an oil filter to finish off my Tuono.
    Out with the old..
    2uzow1u.jpg

See the o ring on the oil filter cover?
    I bought 2 of these.
    They fail after a while and when they do, oil sprays onto the rear tyre.
    I found this out coming into a bend one night under hard braking.
    Bike went all over the place.
    2uzpixh.jpg

Bit ridiculous not having a spin-on filter, I had a couple of bikes which didn't but the engine designs went back to the 70s/early 80s.

• Advertisement

Bit ridiculous not having a spin-on filter, I had a couple of bikes which didn't but the engine designs went back to the 70s/early 80s.

I thought you'd be more old skool and prefer cartridge over cannister!:pac:

I actually prefer the cartridge type.
    Better for inspection anyway.
    Also,I've bought a couple of bikes down though the years, that I've had to nearly butcher the cannister type ones to get them off.

Oh,forgot to mention, it's a dry sump.

Yeah but the o-rings often weep eventually and some people just whack gasket goo in there which isn't a great solution.

I've never had a spin-on filter weep or difficulty getting one off. I did accidentally overtighten one once but it came off easily at the next oil change with one of those three-pronged wrenches.

some people just whack gasket goo in there which isn't a great solution.
    To be fair that's a people issue more than a filter issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I've never had a spin-on filter weep

That might have something to do with them including a fresh new O-ring :D

I've never had a spin-on filter weep or difficulty getting one off. .

Oh boy are you in for a treat when it eventually happens. It is an absolute royal pain in the hole, and a little scary when you see this thing all minced up and still stuck to your sump, and you're scratching your head & wondering what next ~ then the relief when it finally turns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I washed my bike this evening for the first time in months. Just used a couple of buckets of clean water and got far better results than using a hose.

Some of the neighbours were dying to catch me with the hose :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm old enough to remember when you could buy c*r maintenance magazines* which actually recommended bashing a big screwdriver through the filter and then turning that :pac:

There is an official Triumph oil filter tightening/removal tool which is like a huge socket but made of plastic, I threw it into an order a few years back for a few quid when I was buying lots of other stuff. The idea is (presumably) that you can't overtighten the filter waay too much because the plastic will deform and it'll slip. Problem then is that if you try to undo an overtightened filter with this, it'll slip too. An unbranded version of this yoke sorted it out for me no problem, cost me a tenner at a classsic bike show.

457485.png

How it got overtightened in the first place was because, like a complete gombeen, I was tightening the filter like it says in the manual, using a torque wrench for some stupid torque level like 5 or 10 Nm. Unless you have a very small range torque wrench it's much too easy to not notice the click at such a low torque and just keep tightening. It took the oil filter incident and a stripped brake caliper pin before I decided to never use a torque wrench on low torque bolts again, and just go by what felt reasonable using as short a bar as possible.

* Hard to imagine these days but they actually advertised these on TV and presumably people actually bought them. Nobody can be bothered reading the handbook to find out what the idiot lights mean these days, it's hard to imagine that there used to be a market for buying a magazine every week for 2 years or so just to find out how to fix your cage, and people actually did their own work too. Putting air into the tyres is too much for most these days.

I'm old enough to remember when you could buy c*r maintenance magazines* which actually recommended bashing a big screwdriver through the filter and then turning that :pac:

That's the usual method, grand until the screwdriver starts to open the filter like a tin of beans but the thread remains stuck to the sump :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

That's the usual method, grand until the screwdriver starts to open the filter like a tin of beans but the thread remains stuck to the sump :mad:

How many lbs can you bench?

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    How many lbs can you bench?

lbs? Pfft!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

How it got overtightened in the first place was because, like a complete gombeen, I was tightening the filter like it says in the manual, using a torque wrench for some stupid torque level like 5 or 10 Nm.

Use a torque wrench? What Book of Lies was that? :D

5 Nm isn't even a "ah", even "uh" is about 20. "Hurrghhh" is about 100.

I never got on with those Manx :pac: -style removal tools. So I bought a fancy automatic band for working on the cars (given the types/accessibility of the ones I have):

23284151556_84a33f987b_c.jpg
    IMG_20150920_243702_049 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Then I bought a Berlin foot-warmer and found that they decided to bury the spin on canister in the casing (doh) so yet another tool was needed, so a Mahle OCS1 cup-type was bought. (There was a K&N filter with a nut on it, but I don't think much of their innards).

xcngiq.jpg

• Advertisement

lbs? Pfft!

Ibs are always bigger numbers :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Ibs are always bigger numbers :D

Please answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Maybe some people don't realise that the (canister) filter o-ring should be oiled before fitting. Hand-tight is more than tight enough.

A trick I've read about dealing with a seized filter is to place sandpaper between filter and removal tool - esp. effective with cup-type tool photo-ed above apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Maybe some people don't realise that the (canister) filter o-ring should be oiled before fitting. Hand-tight is more than tight enough.

A trick I've read about dealing with a seized filter is to place sandpaper between filter and removal tool - esp. effective with cup-type tool photo-ed above apparently.

A screwdriver rammed through the filter then beat with a hammer will get a fella back on the road to :). I’m using a k&n filter with a nut tacked on the seems solid enough.

Jackdaw89 wrote: »
    A screwdriver rammed through the filter then beat with a hammer will get a fella back on the road to :). I’m using a k&n filter with a nut tacked on the seems solid enough.

Not a 204 filter ?
    https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Thanks had me nervous their, nope the codes in the article don’t match mine. Sound out.

Guys can I get some advice. I drained something from my moped’s cooling system today. It was yellow with a very light hint of brown. Is that normal or can I put pink coolant into it that is also used in cars?

Generally for bikes you want silicate free coolant, do you have a manual for the bike?

Generally for bikes you want silicate free coolant, do you have a manual for the bike?

I don’t CJ.

The pink stuff is usually OAT which shouldn't be used unless the manufacturer recommends it, and it shouldn't be mixed with the glycol based stuff (usually blue)

Give the system a good flush out with a hose (wait until the hosepipe ban is over :p ) until only clean water comes out. It's usually worth flushing the rad in each direction or even removing it to flush it upside down depending on the amount of gunk in the system, it's likely the coolant was never changed.

Then fill up with the blue stuff (dilute the concentrate with distilled water, or buy pre-mix)

There might be a bleed screw in the water pump or top of the radiator that needs to be opened to get any air bubbles out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement