Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

blade1 wrote: »
    If u can take a close up pic of your rear tyre that's shows wear from center out to your chicken line.

Tyres can show what's going on,even sometimes you can tell if your suspension is set correctly by wear on the tyre.

Here's a better picture of the rear tyre

2d85qbd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

That look fine Prisoner!.
    Basically you want your suspension and not your tyre, doing the work over bumps.

That look fine Prisoner!.
    Basically you want your suspension and not your tyre, doing the work over bumps.

Thanks for that :D

I'll check the pressures on it later so and hopefully I can ride on :cool:

BTW, Fowlers got back to me, they were able to trace the cable through the engine number and gave me the part code. £14 + vat so when converted and delivered about €25.

Just waiting for confirmation that they will deliver to R.O.I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

use revolut to buy if you have never heard of it before...

Result!
    They do post to Ireland as I got stuff from them about 2 weeks ago.
    If you are ever stuck getting parts because of being in Ireland you should use Parcel Wizard, Address Pal or similar.

I use them sometimes even if the seller ships to Ireland, as often it works out cheaper.

• Advertisement

But don't order something oversize through any of them. nightmare to return if something is wrong

But don't order something oversize through any of them. nightmare to return if something is wrong

Wise words!;)

I’ll be utterly potless from bikes I’d say. I recognise the Fowler’s site and think that the bike shop who order my cable ordered it from the same place. I’ll know for certain in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I tried to purchase the cable in the link and it says they don't deliver to my Irish address.

Will email them and see what they come back with. :)

They can deliver it there and then on to you.

If you haven't used these services your missing out :) it's a UK address for delivery

Edit. Seen that this was mentioned above

I’ll be utterly potless from bikes I’d say. I recognisethe Fowler’s sure and think that the bike shop who order my cable ordered it from the same place. I’ll know for certain in the morning

You could be spending it on worse!
    These keep me out of the pub (most of the time :pac:)

vdmvsp.jpg

• Advertisement

You could be spending it on worse!
    These keep me out of the pub (most of the time :pac:)

vdmvsp.jpg
    Impressive collection you have, are they all garaged?

Only most of the time? :D

I don't drink or smoke so cars and bikes are my bad habit :pac:

I will confess that I am on the look out for 1 more bike,even a bit of a project if necessary.

Did you sell your triumph to a dealer by any chance? Seen one like yours on the Lee Motorcycles website earlier on.

listermint wrote: »

They can deliver it there and then on to you.

If you haven't used these services your missing out :) it's a UK address for delivery

Edit. Seen that this was mentioned above

That is all new to me, accept my apologies in advance now for anything I may not know that appears to be common sense.

I did have a Moped and a Bandit years ago but i'm only really getting into it big time now.

Impressive collection you have, are they all garaged?

Only most of the time? :D

I don't drink or smoke so cars and bikes are my bad habit :pac:

I will confess that I am on the look out for 1 more bike,even a bit of a project if necessary.

Did you sell your triumph to a dealer by any chance? Seen one like yours on the Lee Motorcycles website earlier on.
    Yeah they are garaged.
    I sold the triumph privately.
    I put it up on donedeal on a Saturday evening and the phone started hopping after a couple of minutes.
    I had 7 fellas wanting to call but I had to hold 6 off as they would have all been traveling from far enough away.
    Needless to say the first lad that called went away delighted with the bike.
    It was in beautiful condition.

Edit:that's an 800 tiger for sale in Lee.
    Mine was a 1050.

Some amount of gunk on the scooter. I'll have a busy Saturday evening after F1 qualifying.

rsbdx5.jpg

2mnuv.jpg

I'm like a fcuking pig then over this mark :mad: must have happened when I parked it at the bike park in the repair shop. Have to get the panel done again, thank god i'm good friends with the painter.

Can't get the stickers reapplied now until this is sorted :(

2ryndxe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Did a quick service on my Yamaha Dragstar 125, i bought this bike to learn on and how to do basic maintenance etc.. ive only got about 600 into it:P
    I changed the oil and oil filter put in a hiflo filtro and took out the same although well used brand filter to my suprise:D,
    The oil was defiantly in need of replacement :eek:
    Replaced the spark plugs with the recommended NGK ones
    I also removed and cleaned the air filter
    Prior this the bike had a habit of stalling when going into first gear i noticed the idle speed was set low so i adjusted that up slightly and its stopped.

My next job is to tackle cleaning the carburetor though im not quite brave enough yet:o

Dl1xINy.jpg
    3PPQu6L.jpg
    G3B6QTJ.jpg
    PQmAeog.jpg

Looks like a serious amount of condensation in your oil.
    If it was water cooled it would look like a blown head gasket.

Looks like a serious amount of condensation in your oil.
    If it was water cooled it would look like a blown head gasket.

I was quite perplexed as to what was going on with it alright
    If i have to sunder it to check the engine i will but id prefer not to what do you think might be going on, when i bought it it had sat for a while i kept it in a dry shed and ran it from time to time since i got it , havnt got it out on the road yet as ive to do my IBT.
    I plan on fixing anything that needs doing well before i bring it out
    XS3mYgh.jpg

I'm assuming it's just moisture.
    It's just more than I've ever seen in any bike I've ever had.
    As the bike is air cooled(it is isn't it?) it's not coolant that leaked into the oil through the head gasket.
    See how it goes with the new oil.
    It's not out of the ordinary to see a little bit of moisture in the oil over winter.

I'm assuming it's just moisture.
    It's just more than I've ever seen in any bike I've ever had.
    As the bike is air cooled(it is isn't it?) it's not coolant that leaked into the oil through the head gasket.
    See how it goes with the new oil.
    It's not out of the ordinary to see a little bit of moisture in the oil over winter.

Yeah sorry i should've said the bike is a little air cooled v-twin 125cc engine
    It sat for 3-4 months from February to July when i bought it so id say it couldve collected the moisture over that time alright
    Thanks for the advice ill keep a eye on how the new oil goes

Have one myself on the garage it's a project il get to. Running perfect just want to turn it to a bobber.

• Advertisement

Have one myself on the garage it's a project il get to. Running perfect just want to turn it to a bobber.

Im thinking of keeping this when i move up to a A2 licence and turning it into a bobber too:D

Just a small job today
    This switch keeps getting pulled out of the clutch lever when turning on full lock..
    Added an extra inch to the wires.

29e242w.jpg

All done

2z9iihz.jpg

Decided i'll kit out my V-Strom, I am right here in that it is the Crash Bars & Engine guard for that money yeah?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/ENGINE-GUARD-and-CRASH-BARS-HEED-for-SUZUKI-DL650-V-STROM-2004-2016-black/292690731790?hash=item4425ba230e:g:~LAAAOSw9mFbBT7S

I've made a start on the downpipe of the V-Strom with Harpic. I won't get the rest of it finished tonight though.

25t9c81.jpg

se3qx1.jpg

1z1d3wg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've made a start on the downpipe of the V-Strom with Harpic. I won't get the rest of it finished tonight though.

Make sure you really, really wash off that Harpic afterwards. While it's great for removing rust, not cleaning it off fully can eat through the metal with time.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Make sure you really, really wash off that Harpic afterwards. While it's great for removing rust, not cleaning it off fully can eat through the metal with time.

Yeah I gave it a good scrubbing to get off what but I actually did put on it.

On a separate note I have ordered crash bars and an engine guard from heed. Just hoping that it fits underneath as I have a Centre stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yeah I gave it a good scrubbing to get off what but I actually did put on it.

On a separate note I have ordered crash bars and an engine guard from heed. Just hoping that it fits underneath as I have a Centre stand.

The Heed stuff fits like a dream.

Fit the crash bars first then the bash plate because the bash plate bolts onto the crash bars.

Put some copper grease onto the bash plate bolts because you'll need to remove it to drain the oil at a service.

If I recall correctly the bracket which bolts onto the bike at the center stand is the only bit that requires a little work.

Where are you located?.

The Heed stuff fits like a dream.

Fit the crash bars first then the bash plate because the bash plate bolts onto the crash bars.

Put some copper grease onto the bash plate bolts because you'll need to remove it to drain the oil at a service.

If I recall correctly the bracket which bolts onto the bike at the center stand is the only bit that requires a little work.

Where are you located?.

I posted the link to the pair of them a page back here.

They're for a DL650 from 04-16, so safe to assume with a 2011 I should be ok.

Just a tube of copper grease from a motor factors or something?

Looking up youtube video's it looks like the bracket for the engine guard and the centre stand are both in the same place, so the stand might have to come off? I need to look at further video's before they arrive of course.

Currently living in Cork City, unsure if I will ever return home (Dublin) to live at this stage.

I doubt i'll get anymore off the exhaust, I've gone over it 3 times today with Harpic and due to the heat it ended up drying in at one stage.

2iqmjy0.jpg

345zax4.jpg

2r5aplj.jpg

• Advertisement

Try this type scouring pad on it.
    2z4xtl1.jpg

Try this type scouring pad on it.
    2z4xtl1.jpg

I'll head out there and get one. Also my stuff from HEED is after being dispatched, somewhere between the 10th-17th September i'll have the.

Use aluminum foil and coke to get the rust off, loads of YouTube videos on it. Think it might have to be diet Coke whatever is in it

I wouldn't bother scrubbing anymore that is more clean than mine was when I did autosol

get a long rag or old t shirt etc, pass it around the back of the pipe then with the two ends cross them back into the opposite hands and floss left to right and just keep adding autosol and twisting onto a fresh piece of rag every now and again.

no more than 20 minutes and the whole pipe will be done

I wouldn't bother scrubbing anymore that is more clean than mine was when I did autosol

get a long rag or old t shirt etc, pass it around the back of the pipe then with the two ends cross them back into the opposite hands and floss left to right and just keep adding autosol and twisting onto a fresh piece of rag every now and again.

no more than 20 minutes and the whole pipe will be done

Autosol is a type of metal polish isn’t it? Can that be gotten in Halfords?

The scrubbing got me nowhere, it was left too long I’d say before I got to it.

Have all the rags for around the back of the pipe.

On a side note, can anyone recommend good hand guards or even a site that does them?

SW Motech do them for €130, thought I’d get cheaper than that?

I got it on amazon for a couple of euro but halfords do it for 7.50

• Advertisement

I got it on amazon for a couple of euro but halfords do it for 7.50

I’ll drop in there tomorrow, want to sort it before the engine guard goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Use some Autosol with a rag and elbow grease = shiny!

zubair wrote: »
    Use some Autosol with a rag and elbow grease = shiny!

Are those exhausts chrome plated do you know? It looks like it is half chrome half standard metal. I've used up most of my elbow grease this week I think with the harpic :pac:

What stops this going back to rusty in about 2 weeks though ?

After all the effort?

Mines as bad as that, never bothered to clean it because it will rust straight away.

After all the effort?

Mines as bad as that, never bothered to clean it because it will rust straight away.

Weekly polishing?

Didn’t think of what will happen down the line. I won’t be using it once the bad weather starts anyway. So I’m hoping that will help ease the issue.

• Advertisement

For my money, this is something you do if the bike is garaged and not used often.If its used commuting or parked outside. Then its really a tough ask.

After all the effort?

Easy!!!
    Full stainless steel exhaust system!!
    Akrapovic will do nicely. :D

Easy!!!
    Full stainless steel exhaust system!!
    Akrapovic will do nicely. :D

You’re some man blade1

Any suggestions on websites for handguards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You’re some man blade1

https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/givi-handguards-suzuki-dl1000-v-strom-hp3105-60995-p.asp

Not sure if they'll fit on the DL650 though?

You’re some man blade1

I may!! :pac:
    What's more important?
    Block the wind?
    Heat?
    Protect your levers?
    Looks?
    Price?
    All of the above?
    None of the above?
    Some of the above? :D

I may!! :pac:
    What's more important?
    Block the wind?
    Heat?
    Protect your levers?
    Looks?
    Price?
    All of the above?
    None of the above?
    Some of the above? :D

Is that multiple choice? :pac:

Sure we’ll try all the above and see how much strain the piggy bank can take :o

Sonics2k wrote: »

Will give them a bell, are they not the same bike bar the engine?

Thanks for that :)

Is that multiple choice? :pac:

Sure we’ll try all the above and see how much strain the piggy bank can take :o

Should have added..
    If all of the above, they don't exist. :p

I think there is a second hand pair of bark busters on eBay.
    They may have a mark on them but they are good guards and he maybe open to offer.

I must check them out again.

You can get Polisport ones for €30-€40 but they'll only keep a bit of wind off.
    I have them
    2yn5aop.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Best check on a DL650 forum buddy as you'll find many handgurads will prevent you from going full lock on the bars. Heated grips are a better investment if you don't have them already.

On the down pipe, in my experience with an SV, that down pipe will be back to a nice orange hue again in a few weeks. But its worth doing as it really ages a bike in my opinion. Finish it off with some autosol, you've done the hard bit already. Get a fenda extenda.

• Advertisement
Advertisement