Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

In relation to my scooter, that did end up in the repair shop, the reason for it cutting out was the engine was getting too much air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those oil cooler pipe unions don't look great. I had one let go on me last year (Triumph) due to corrosion but luckily it was only a pinhole and happened very close to home. Still covered the back tyre in oil though.

Scrap the cap!

Those oil cooler pipe unions don't look great. I had one let go on me last year (Triumph) due to corrosion but luckily it was only a pinhole and happened very close to home. Still covered the back tyre in oil though.

I genuinely haven’t a clue on what looks average or ok, should I change the pipes as well as the flywheel cover?

As always advice is sincerely appreciated.

I’m having no trouble from the bike, just some cosmetic stuff needs improving of course.

A bit of surface rust on the flat areas is only cosmetic but have a good look at creases / folds / welds on those pipes like the arrowed part, this is where you might eventually have trouble.

461255.png

You have to hold the hex head area with a spanner when loosening/tightening the banjo bolt, otherwise you could distort or crack the oil cooler as they're not that strong. That and use new copper washers. Apart from that it's an easy job when doing an oil change.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Covers to go over those parts? It looks poor (the paint) I admit.

Yeah paint isn't ideal

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Suzuki/DL650_V-Strom/2004_to_2012/KEC0043BK/

These

Dunno why the picture disappeared in my previous post, fixed it now.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

blade1 wrote: »
    Paint flaking a lot for what seems a fairly new bike.

Very common on the Vstroms for some reason.

Although mine was spotless just about every other were similar or worse than the pix here.

BMW boxer engines are the same.

I found the paint on the frame welds on the Vstrom pretty thin too.

listermint wrote: »

Might well invest in that, looks good. Would someone like myself be able to fit it or does the old cover have to come off?

A bit of surface rust on the flat areas is only cosmetic but have a good look at creases / folds / welds on those pipes like the arrowed part, this is where you might eventually have trouble.

461255.png

You have to hold the hex head area with a spanner when loosening/tightening the banjo bolt, otherwise you could distort or crack the oil cooler as they're not that strong. That and use new copper washers. Apart from that it's an easy job when doing an oil change.
    New bolt and pipe basically to improve the look?

Very common on the Vstroms for some reason.

Although mine was spotless just about every other were similar or worse than the pix here.

BMW boxer engines are the same.

I found the paint on the frame welds on the Vstrom pretty thin too.

Did you have to clean yours up to make it spotless of did it just come that way? There's 33,000 miles on mine. Only done 300 miles since I bought it but still plan on adding a few more bits to it. I only get out for around 6-8 hours a week on it, it was parked up for about 4 weeks when I first got it due to work etc, so you could really say 300 miles in one month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Did you have to clean yours up to make it spotless of did it just come that way? There's 33,000 miles on mine. Only done 300 miles since I bought it but still plan on adding a few more bits to it. I only get out for around 6-8 hours a week on it, it was parked up for about 4 weeks when I first got it due to work etc, so you could really say 300 miles in one month.

Luckily enough mine was spotless when I bought it, but I've serviced a few for friends and they all had that corrosion on the engine.

Mine had a few small rust spots on the frame at the rider foot pegs and the pillion foot peg hangers, and most other's I've seen had the same.

That aside they're a fantastic bike. Like I said I loved mine and there's not a day I that goes by when I'm reminded how good it was, and how I regret getting rid of it.

I love my BMW R1200GS and have said I'll be replacing it with another, but I'd never rule out another Vstrom ~ in fact I looked at one in Bikeworld only recently, they've a DL1000 over there but I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my BMW.

Enjoy your bike.

Might well invest in that, looks good. Would someone like myself be able to fit it or does the old cover have to come off?

I'm not entirely sure on fitment if original bolts come out and hold them on. But anyone with a socket set could do it. These are covers so they cover the old one not replace

I finally bit the bullet and handed the scooter in to get the decals fitted, will have it back after the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Bought this from ALiExpress for €31.25. Plugs into the diagnostics port. Works really well (couple of seconds delay) . Good value!

315e7hf.jpg

Cheap way of getting two extra speeds in the gearbox :p

Scrap the cap!

Cheap way of getting two extra speeds in the gearbox :p

Yeah that 8th gear's really suited to motorway riding.;)

In Fairness the phone camera doesn't do it justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If I had an extra gear for every time I looked for 7th gear, I'd probably have enough gears to stop looking to change up in top...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If I had an extra gear for every time I looked for 7th gear, I'd probably have enough gears to stop looking to change up in top...

How many false neutrals would that give you though?

Bought a set of V35 cases today for the bike,saved myself a few hundred quid. Thanks to Blade1 for pointing me in their direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

No idea why my pics are uploading sidewards...

Anyhoo, The fins are getting crusty after 17 years which ain't too shabby. I didn't want to go to town on this so a little high-temp black on the top fin to stave off the years a bit. I'm fairly pleased with the result.

463407.JPG

463408.JPG

463409.JPG

Interesting choice of reading material :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Interesting choice of reading material :p

Put to good use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cut thin strips of blue masking tape and lay them across the edges of the fins and give it another blast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Fit the Termi Evolution slip on and Sprint P08 filter. This bike can be a right pain to work on. Some difference with the exhaust though - biggest gains I’ve experienced on anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

My NC750X is about to hit 60k. Not one days trouble in all that.
    I checked the valve clearance and gave it a service with oil and filter. Ill remove the brake pads and give them a good clean before the winter really kicks in.

ie1kz7.jpg

• Advertisement

DIY valve servicing and Honda practicality and reliability are starting to look quite tempting for my next bike :)

Scrap the cap!

Having already changed out one oil cooler pipe and the oil cooler itself, i've decided to change the smaller one as well just to be safe. Fowlers provide an excellent service.

2dowlx.jpg

2howtix.jpg

Gear Indicator
    Got this as well but i suspect it wasn't fitted correctly, i had it done by a workshop.

Gear Indicator
    Got this as well but i suspect it wasn't fitted correctly, i had it done by a workshop.
    Is it plug and play? Connects to the diagnostic port? I bought on off ali express for the sv650 and it works just fine. That's the top of the range you have they have made a mistake somewhere.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Is it plug and play? Connects to the diagnostic port? I bought on off ali express for the sv650 and it works just fine. That's the top of the range you have they have made a mistake somewhere.

Cost me €130 plus labour (€50+vat) to fit it, the tank on my DL650 had to be removed to fit, plugs straight in is what was explained to me, i've sent the workshop that video as well, what is the most likely cause? connections weren't done right?

Is that a good brand? I'm really clueless on certain brands for bikes. I got it because i kept going for a 7th gear on the dual carriageway.

• Advertisement

Cost me €130 plus labour (€50+vat) to fit it, the tank on my DL650 had to be removed to fit, plugs straight in is what was explained to me, i've sent the workshop that video as well, what is the most likely cause? connections weren't done right?

Is that a good brand? I'm really clueless on certain brands for bikes. I got it because i kept going for a 7th gear on the dual carriageway.
    That's supposed to be the creme de la creme of gear indicators . Mine cost €31.25 . fitted myself. Its a Chinese clone. working well though.;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108249257&postcount=3715

That's supposed to be the creme de la creme of gear indicators . Mine cost €31.25 . fitted myself. Its a Chinese clone. working well though.;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108249257&postcount=3715

It’s working perfectly, just seems to be how it’s wired up is the issue, on the journey home I seen the number 2 appear twice, once I wasn’t even in second gear.

Fair play for wiring it yourself, I’d be afraid of my life to go messing with electrics.

It’s working perfectly, just seems to be how it’s wired up is the issue, on the journey home I seen the number 2 appear twice, once I wasn’t even in second gear.

Fair play for wiring it yourself, I’d be afraid of my life to go messing with electrics.

To be fair. I only had to plug it into the diagnostic port and route the wire. Some of them need to be "trained" or to "learn" which gear they are in when first installed, some of the more mechanically minded on here might know how thats done.

To be fair. I only had to plug it into the diagnostic port and route the wire. Some of them need to be "trained" or to "learn" which gear they are in when first installed, some of the more mechanically minded on here might know how thats done.

The bike shop that fitted it rang me back about 10 minutes ago, the mechanic who installed it is adamant that it was working perfectly before i took the bike away, they asked me do i want to try and sort it myself or do i want them to do it, it's a GI PRO ATRE but i have no idea how to reset it as it was wired into the ignition system and not the battery directly. My gear is if i try something myself that i could be voiding any potential warranty on it.

The bike shop that fitted it rang me back about 10 minutes ago, the mechanic who installed it is adamant that it was working perfectly before i took the bike away, they asked me do i want to try and sort it myself or do i want them to do it, it's a GI PRO ATRE but i have no idea how to reset it as it was wired into the ignition system and not the battery directly. My gear is if i try something myself that i could be voiding any potential warranty on it.

Bring it back to them. They have been well paid to fit it.

The Diagnostic Port is near the battery, Tank does not have to be removed. Fishing the cables up with fishing gear would mean the tank does not have to be removed. If its a plug and play into the Diag Port then you could fit one in a 20 minutes.

listermint wrote: »
    The Diagnostic Port is near the battery, Tank does not have to be removed. Fishing the cables up with fishing gear would mean the tank does not have to be removed. If its a plug and play into the Diag Port then you could fit one in a 20 minutes.

3 hours labour I was charged :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

3 hours labour I was charged :rolleyes:

Was it the same mechanic we spoke about recently? A lad by Innishannon?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Was it the same mechanic we spoke about recently? A lad by Innishannon?

PM Sent

Had a look at a few videos showing the install of that particular model. In fairness theres a bit more than plug and play to it. the bit at the end stands for timing retard eliminator. [SIZE=-1]Some of the Features
    - Disables speed limiter
    - Allows full timing in all gears
    - Senses neutral for smooth idle control
    - Improved throttle response and driveability
    So it could have taking a while to install.;)

[/SIZE]

• Advertisement

Had a look at a few videos showing the install of that particular model. In fairness theres a bit more than plug and play to it. the bit at the end stands for timing retard eliminator. [SIZE=-1]Some of the Features
    - Disables speed limiter
    - Allows full timing in all gears
    - Senses neutral for smooth idle control
    - Improved throttle response and driveability
    So it could have taking a while to install.;)

[/SIZE]

Would any of that explain why it is skipping 2nd gear?

By the sounds of it, it is complicated then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

aTRE tricks the bike into thinking it's in 5th gear except when it's in neutral.

Didn't know you could get gear indicators that still worked like that

Would any of that explain why it is skipping 2nd gear?

By the sounds of it, it is complicated then.

I think it needs to be trained. there's a button on the top of it for setting it up. I'd just bring the bike back in and get them to sort it.

aTRE tricks the bike into thinking it's in 5th gear except when it's in neutral.

Didn't know you could get gear indicators that still worked like that

It just seems to be 2nd gear that is the issue, no idea why it happens though.

I think it needs to be trained. there's a button on the top of it for setting it up. I'd just bring the bike back in and get them to sort it.

Didn't see any button, that's the odd thing :confused:

Didn't see any button, that's the odd thing :confused:
    Think it's a touch sensor.

Think it's a touch sensor.

Will check it again so in the morning, i'm hoping it's a simple fix.

Will check it again so in the morning, i'm hoping it's a simple fix.

You Could try this yourself!:eek:

5.3. Starting the Auto-Learning procedure
    If the display does not indicate the gears selected correctly, start the Auto-Learning procedure:

1. If you have a stand, raise the rear wheel off the ground. Otherwise, sit on the bike.

2. Activate the display (refer to section 5.1). Make sure that the side-stand is up and the engine stop switch is in RUN position. Do not start the engine.

3. Select Neutral.

4. Press the button and keep it depressed until “L” (Learning) appears on the display.

5. Release the button. If the gear box is in Neutral, “L” starts blinking and Auto-Learning procedure starts.

6. After a few seconds, the next gear to be learned is blinking on the display (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6). Select the gear indicated on the display. In order to change gear with engine off, you may need to move the rear wheel back and forth while pushing the gear selector. “L” is blinking while the selected gear is being learned.
    Repeat this step until all gears have been learned.
    If you’d like to start over the process, press the button once, then go to step 3.

7. If all six gears have been learned, “U” (Update) is blinking on the display for a few seconds. If your bike has less than 6 gears, press and release the button. The unit saves the new gear positions to Flash memory, then the display goes back to normal operation.

You Could try this yourself!:eek:

5.3. Starting the Auto-Learning procedure
    If the display does not indicate the gears selected correctly, start the Auto-Learning procedure:

1. If you have a stand, raise the rear wheel off the ground. Otherwise, sit on the bike.

2. Activate the display (refer to section 5.1). Make sure that the side-stand is up and the engine stop switch is in RUN position. Do not start the engine.

3. Select Neutral.

4. Press the button and keep it depressed until “L” (Learning) appears on the display.

5. Release the button. If the gear box is in Neutral, “L” starts blinking and Auto-Learning procedure starts.

6. After a few seconds, the next gear to be learned is blinking on the display (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6). Select the gear indicated on the display. In order to change gear with engine off, you may need to move the rear wheel back and forth while pushing the gear selector. “L” is blinking while the selected gear is being learned.
    Repeat this step until all gears have been learned.
    If you’d like to start over the process, press the button once, then go to step 3.

7. If all six gears have been learned, “U” (Update) is blinking on the display for a few seconds. If your bike has less than 6 gears, press and release the button. The unit saves the new gear positions to Flash memory, then the display goes back to normal operation.

Definitely for the one i have? There is a g1 & g2 but the box didn't say which it was.

• Advertisement

Definitely for the one i have? There is a g1 & g2 but the box didn't say which it was.

That's for the G2, Would think the process is the same for both. Im thinking when she flashed for 2nd they didn't select the right gear. seems straight forward enough.:D
    I'll see can i find the instructions for the G1.

Advertisement