Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Best auto mechanic\diagnostician ive seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnXu1tLJT8M

Brilliant.

You'd nearly go looking for broken stuff after watching that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Bought two new tyres off the net and have established (for anyone in the Dublin/Wicklow area) that Maddocks in Bray will balance for a tenner a wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

newmember? wrote: »
    Bought two new tyres off the net and have established (for anyone in the Dublin/Wicklow area) that Maddocks in Bray will balance for a tenner a wheel.

He'll also balance whatever pole he used to remove the rear wheel (250nm) into your fairing, scraping it and then swear blind that the mark was there when the bike was left in. One experience with the shop, and they were a$$holes
    Never again :mad:

Wheels off myself usually but just didn't have the required leverage on the first tyre change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

batman_oh wrote: »
    He'll also balance whatever pole he used to remove the rear wheel (250nm) into your fairing, scraping it and then swear blind that the mark was there when the bike was left in. One experience with the shop, and they were a$$holes

Wheels off myself usually but just didn't have the required leverage on the first tyre change!

Leverage.. pffffft

Muscles man , muscles

:)

listermint wrote: »
    Leverage.. pffffft
    Muscles man , muscles
    :)

3 year old tyres and 250nm aren't a great combo! :pac:
    Bought a 400nm rated impact wrench that failed miserably after 3 days of trying (good hearing damage though) and eventually managed to find the perfect solution - a 7 foot lump of scaffolding pole that either opens the bolt or breaks the breaker bar head. Win! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Freshly rebuilt and power coated rims brought to a shop in Cork under the assumption he was tidy and wouldn't scrape them...and he scraped them.
    Ever since i saved for a manual tyre changer, alloy mate bar and balancer. Bought all the professional kit for mushroom patches too. Enough was enough.

Get yourselves one of these lads
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Static-WHEEL-BALANCER-Portable-STAND-UK-SP/183992370857?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40744%26meid%3D8350b6ab6f514b349fe8713194d45f68%26pid%3D100935%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D312796772612%26itm%3D183992370857%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2332490&_trksid=p2332490.c100935.m2460

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

You're not inspiring me with confidence so I'll have to see how I get on with him. I'll just be bringing him the wheels. Was posting mainly for those buying tyres off the internet with nowhere to get their wheels balanced.

newmember? wrote: »
    You're not inspiring me with confidence so I'll have to see how I get on with him. I'll just be bringing him the wheels. Was posting mainly for those buying tyres off the internet with nowhere to get their wheels balanced.

I'm sure he'll be grand with just the wheels. Hard to make a balls of that! Although possible :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Over the years I've learnt that everybody can make a **** up, reputation or not.
    It's the cover up or denial that make them pricks in my book.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Over the years I've learnt that everybody can make a **** up, reputation or not.
    It's the cover up or denial that make them pricks in my book.
    Second that!

As yer all waiting with baited breath for an update lol

20191001-210055.jpg

20191008-180215.jpg

20191018-185100.jpg

20191013-130202.jpg
    Busa can transplants a success.
    Will go up the main jet to 125 to be safe but it runs fantastic and loves the backpressure. Louder than stock by about 15% but only in bass, sounds sweet actually. Clears the caliper through full stroke too.

20191019-191526.jpg
    Stock arrived for the caliper adapter Im using on the 4 potter. Sh1te brakes be gone!:)

Nice job H_Lime.
    You wouldn't be any good to get a dent out of an exhaust by chance?
    Or know someone that could.
    The Ti Evo I bought during the summer got damaged on the way to me.
    The lad I bought it off left the strap on the exhaus and just wrapped it in a load of cling film.
    Something either was dropped on top of it or it was dropped but the the bit of the strap where the bolt goes got pushed into the exhaust.

Nice job H_Lime.
    You wouldn't be any good to get a dent out of an exhaust by chance?
    Or know someone that could.
    The Ti Evo I bought during the summer got damaged on the way to me.
    The lad I bought it off left the strap on the exhaus and just wrapped it in a load of cling film.
    Something either was dropped on top of it or it was dropped but the the bit of the strap where the bolt goes got pushed inito the exhaust.
    Ah sh1te! Nothing worse opening something poorly wrapped knowing it's gona be damaged:mad::rolleyes:

Any pics?

If its creased it will always show a crease to some extent especially being ti.
    Drill the rivets (they're stainless on them i think) and pull the end off and the core out with all the packing. You should have a hollow ti skinned can now.

My advice at this point is bring it to one of those many paintless dent removal places and see what he and his spoons can do. From experience this is more of an art than most imagine.

Shouldnt charge you much and as he can get right in behind the dent I'd imagine he will surprise you. As it's a rare piece its worth going to this effort i reckon.

Theres always the option of using a wider exhaust strap to hide any remaing marks (assuming the damage is where she mounts?)

Good opp to repack with stainless and ceramic wool before re riveting. Obviously coat the rivet with exhaust sealant before inserting, unlike the Eyetalian fellas assembling my gpr:(

galwaytt wrote: »
    Today, well, Sunday really........I broke an engine case bolt.

That's just bloody great :cool:

493020.png

Howd you get on with that bolt ye sheared buddy?

H_Lime wrote: »
    Ah sh1te! Nothing worse opening something poorly wrapped knowing it's gona be damaged:mad::rolleyes:

Any pics?

If its creased it will always show a crease to some extent especially being ti.
    Drill the rivets (they're stainless on them i think) and pull the end off and the core out with all the packing. You should have a hollow ti skinned can now.

My advice at this point is bring it to one of those many paintless dent removal places and see what he and his spoons can do. From experience this is more of an art than most imagine.

Shouldnt charge you much and as he can get right in behind the dent I'd imagine he will surprise you. As it's a rare piece its worth going to this effort i reckon.

Theres always the option of using a wider exhaust strap to hide any remaing marks (assuming the damage is where she mounts?)

Good opp to repack with stainless and ceramic wool before re riveting. Obviously coat the rivet with exhaust sealant before inserting, unlike the Eyetalian fellas assembling my gpr:(

Screenshot-20191024-192653.jpg

If only the strap was where it should have been when the damage was done it would be covered but it was back a couple of inches.
    Even so, I'd want the genuine strap with the exhaust.
    It's probably rarer than the exhaust :o
    I asked some car dent crowd in Midleton but they weren't interested.
    I wouldn't be well up on who does this kinda work.
    Yep stainless rivets.
    And definitely repack will be done if it's opened up.

If only the strap was where it should have been when the damage was done it would be covered but it was back a couple of inches.
    Yep stainless rivets.

Maybe he reckoned on having to dismantle the can himself? You present that dismantled and most places would have a crack off it. They should be able to sort the profile back but you'd wonder will it still show evidence of having being worked? I've seen some of the work these lads do and the tidy ones are miracle wokers so you never know. Deffo worth a shot.

• Advertisement

Yep stainless rivets.

I'd just buy a metal sticker for it. Any design that takes your fancy and stick it down using heat resistant glue.

A logo a symbol whatever.

So yesterday went to replace the Countershaft seal and clutch piston seal. As I was getting excessive oil leaking around the area. Wasn't sure which was gone so replaced both.

In doing so had to remove the clutch action mechanism it's a coil mechanism translates turning motion into pushing motion. Found some bearings inside it had gotten lost and also the clutch cable was loose when I put it all back together. It just seemed too stretched.

So an oil seal change turned into a clutch cable, clutch mechanism spring and clutch mechanism bearings change.

Tbh it's much tighter now on the clutch so probably due anyway. Money well spent.

Have to wash it in the morning it's been dirty for two months haven't had the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ever since Mountjoy closed, there's no hope of getting bits like that off the shelf, so a small job turning into a bigger job needing parts is a nightmare when you've one bike and need it to get to work.

Scrap the cap!

I'd just buy a metal sticker for it. Any design that takes your fancy and stick it down using heat resistant glue.

A logo a symbol whatever.

You didn't by any chance use to run a motorbike shop did you? :pac:

You didn't by any chance use to run a motorbike shop did you? :pac:

No was that what he told ya ?

Tbh it's the most logical choice.

Also it may sound bad but the cans a bit... Boring so maybe something over it will improve it ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

A heat guard?

Also it may sound bad but the cans a bit... Boring so maybe something over it will improve it ? :)

No it wasn't what he told me.
    Your method of sorting dents just reminded of a bike that came out of a bike shop after a service years ago that had a sticker put on it.

You might think it's boring but I want it the way it was made.
    If I saw a sticker on one of those exhausts I'd think it's pretty naff.

No it wasn't what he told me.
    Your method of sorting dents just reminded of a bike that came out of a bike shop after a service years ago that had a sticker put on it.

You might think it's boring but I want it the way it was made.
    If I saw a sticker on one of those exhausts I'd think it's pretty naff.

Fair enough. It's a bit boring though :P

I didn't buy it for its looks I admit.
    It definitely doesn't sound boring.:pac:
    It was part of a racekit that comes with the bike originally.
    I'd like to have the whole kit.
    Have most of it but still missing a couple of nearly impossible to find bits.

The lad I bought the exhaust off was gutted and put in a claim off the courier's.
    Even though it wasn't in the condition it was when I paid for it and I was disappointed when I saw the dent, I told him forget about it.
    Unfortunate but **** happens.

Yeah if it was like made out of something heavier and weaker, and shorter or maybe longer, and if it had a cool name like blue flame, delkevic or dan moto...then it would be less boring:D
    Hard man to please Lister lol.

Yeah if it was like made out of something heavier and weaker, and shorter or maybe longer, and if it had a cool name like blue flame, delkevic or dan moto...then it would be less boring:D
    Hard man to please Lister lol.

No I just prefer some design on the side or a better holder. It's an awful large lump of flat steel takes away from the bike tbh.

No I just prefer some design on the side or a better holder. It's an awful large lump of flat steel takes away from the bike tbh.
    Ah this wont do at all!!:)
    The pipe is that length because Michel Kadenacy said so. If it were longer or shorter the magic wouldnt happen. The flat steel is that rather saucy light and strong gear from the exotic side of the periodic table.
    Your penance is spark plugs on a zx12r and a valve clearances on a nc30. Go in peace my son:p:)

It's titanium I'll have you know :D

And seeing as you've stepped forward as a judge of boring exhausts, what flamboyant exotica have you for an exhaust on the V Strom?

Ah this wont do at all!!:)
    The pipe is that length because Michel Kadenacy said so. If it were longer or shorter the magic wouldnt happen. The flat steel is that rather saucy light and strong gear from the exotic side of the periodic table.
    Your penance is spark plugs on a zx12r and a valve clearances on a nc30. Go in peace my son:p:)

You'd think he'd know more about back pressure carrying the chip around :pac:
    When you ask for someone to repair a dent and someone pipes up suggesting a sticker,they must be taking the piss.

It's titanium I'll have you know :D

And seeing as you've stepped forward as a judge of boring exhausts, what flamboyant exotica have you for an exhaust on the V Strom?

No sure the vstrom is boring but Less so. It has a heat guard. Which was also boring. I had the head shield sprayed black. Decent contrast on it now.

I am the exhaust visual god

• Advertisement

No sure the vstrom is boring but Less so. It has a heat guard. Which was also boring. I had the head shield sprayed black. Decent contrast on it now.

A HEAT SHIELD SPRAYED BLACK?????
    Fùck me why didn't you say so? :pac:

So,can anyone recommend a nice sticker to cover a dent on an exhaust please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Exhaust-Pipe-Tip-Muffler-Silencer-Rotating-Gatling-Gun-32-5mm-Inlet-/153102894147
    Very not boring!!:eek::pac:

A HEAT SHIELD SPRAYED BLACK?????
    Fùck me why didn't you say so? :pac:

So,can anyone recommend a nice sticker to cover a dent on an exhaust please?

https://m.banggood.com/Motorcycle-Exhaust-Muffler-Heat-Shield-Strip-Anti-scalding-Protector-Cover-p-1389480.html

Cover dent breakup the flat titanium

Just giving you ideas fella. Body shops not going to straighten out a titanium exhaust for you. Or you could look at it all the time giving out :)

Fück sake, had to change it.
    Conscious now of going around with a boring exhaust.
    Hope the new one is better :D

IMG-20191026-170929.jpg

That looks unreal man

Also kudos for the note toasting this jolly with a beer :) :P

That looks unreal man

Also kudos for the note toasting this jolly with a beer :) :P

Or maybe the Akrapovic?
    I don't know it's a tough one :pac::pac:

IMG-20190709-110201.jpg

Not sure. Theres stickers on that one

Not sure. Theres stickers on that one

So u think the Ti Evo with the dent could do with a sticker even if it had no dent?

So u think the Ti Evo with the dent could do with a sticker even if it had no dent?

Nah who needs stickers

• Advertisement

Nah who needs stickers

I had a deal done with a lad in UK for a set of shotguns but he reneged when he found someone else that could pick them up so he couldn't be bothered sending them to me.

I'm onto a guy In Italy at the moment trying to buy these.
    I photoshopped to see what they'd look like

I like em!
    Screenshot-20191028-154829-01.jpg

Screenshot-20191028-160420-01.jpg

Pretty nice alright

Rode a mille with them and they look/sound sweet but I remember they foul your heel. Literally had to put toes on outside of the peg and heel out kinda arseways. My rene dual underseat was the same but less so:(

Rode a mille with them and they look/sound sweet but I remember they foul your heel. Literally had to put toes on outside of the peg and heel out kinda arseways. My rene dual underseat was the same but less so:(

Yeah I don't see a heel guard on them which the ones I was supposed to be getting had.
    This are the ones I was meant to get.
    Came with chip,carbon hanger and paperwork.
    And they were only £100
    Screenshot-20191028-171449.jpg

There were other designs of dual mount with a token scallop to allow some of your heel. That design in your pic there is what i remember riding and it was a bit of a fly in ointment. Mightnt be an issue for you though. 100 yoyo gamble for them is worth a roll I reckon

There were other designs of dual mount with a token scallop to allow some of your heel. That design in your pic there is what i remember riding and it was a bit of a fly in ointment. Mightnt be an issue for you though. 100 yoyo gamble for them is worth a roll I reckon

He told me he'd box them up and send them to me.
    Few hours later they were marked sold and when I contacted him he said too much hassle to send.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Just fitted a set of Oxford grips.
    I tested them out with the bike on and I couldn't really notice a difference with 25%-100%. Also I could of swore when I fitted a set of these years ago,the 100% was too hot to touch with my bare hands ., I could be imagining that tho.
    Can anyone confirm that has Oxford heated grips if there's actually much difference between the lowest and highest setting?

honda boi wrote: »
    Just fitted a set of Oxford grips.
    I tested them out with the bike on and I couldn't really notice a difference with 25%-100%. Also I could of swore when I fitted a set of these years ago,the 100% was too hot to touch with my bare hands ., I could be imagining that tho.
    Can anyone confirm that has Oxford heated grips if there's actually much difference between the lowest and highest setting?

Last time I used them the hottest setting was way to hot to use for more than a few minutes.

Replaced the fugly touring screen the previous owner had on the bike, it developed a crack, which I was quite happy about. The usual scenario of finding lots of non standard bolts happened, who knew halfords did windscreen screws?!

Fair play to givi, the screen fits around the handguards on full lock by mm.

493953.jpg

Nice result on the screen re lock to lock. Is this one much different in terms of wind protection, any buffeting?
    There's precious few "modern" bikes I'd consider worth owning but that's one of them. How do you rate it, in particular the ergos, fuelling and suspension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

I fitted a Healtech gear indicator to my Fz6 (https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gipro/gpxt/). Even though I'd kind of gotten used to not having it, it was something I found useful on the MT07 I did the IBT on plus it was fun to get in under the tank for the first time!:D

A combination of Haynes manual and a bit of Youtube were a massive help locating the crankshaft position sensor wire. The instructions with the kit recommended programming while on a stand. The bike has a centre stand but I didn't fancy risking it, particularly on a gravel driveway! So once fitted I went for a spin down a nice straight road to work up through the gears. Quite pleased to say it works flawlessly.:D:D

I was also glad I didn't put it off as I discovered when I lifted the tank that what I think is the fuel tank drain hose (one of the small hoses that pushs onto the barbs under the tank - this one on the kickstand side) had become disconnected. This had almost definitely occurred when I dropped the bike :o:o the week before (first and hopefully last time but that's probably naive!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement