Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Either the part is wrong or the gap on your bike has become bigger somehow I think.
    RRX and RRW are the same Bike only different colour schemes.

Have you the part no. of that part you got.
    It should be on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

blade1 wrote: »
    Either the part is wrong or the gap on your bike has become bigger somehow I think.
    RRX and RRW are the same Bike only different colour schemes.

Have you the part no. of that part you got.
    It should be on it.

I never looked at it, it’s on the bike and everything put back together, the old one was literally in several pieces held together with tie wraps. The gap wasn’t there when I removed the old part. Apparently you can’t get that part new anymore. They are rare

I never looked at it, it’s on the bike and everything put back together, the old one was literally in several pieces held together with tie wraps. The gap wasn’t there when I removed the old part. Apparently you can’t get that part new anymore. They are rare
    Something doesn't add up anyway as 98 and 99 are the same.

Some extra info for you.
    If you don't secure that gap and you do lots of wheelies your front sub frame will start to bend downwards and your lights will end up only lighting up a few feet in front of you. :)

Something doesn't add up anyway as 98 and 99 are the same.

Some extra info for you.
    If you don't secure that gap and you do lots of wheelies your front sub frame will start to bend downwards and your lights will end up only lighting up a few feet in front of you. :)

I’ve cut the relevant piece off the old part to put on it. Wheelies? Christ I’d be divorce if she knew :pac:

I’ve cut the relevant piece off the old part to put on it. Wheelies? Christ I’d be divorce if she knew :pac:

I had a brand new front sub frame here for years.
    I think I threw it out with the rubbish eventually.
    Cost €145 if I remember correctly :o

I had a brand new front sub frame here for years.
    I think I threw it out with the rubbish eventually.
    Cost €145 if I remember correctly :o

€145? Fecking hell :eek:

€145? Fecking hell :eek:

The pound was very strong at the time

The pound was very strong at the time

There’s a guy selling one on Facebook at the moment for £40 I think, it’s mint. Does Tyner break bikes do you know? He might have a part for that.

There’s a guy selling one on Facebook at the moment for £40 I think, it’s mint. Does Tyner break bikes do you know? He might have a part for that.

He'd have bits and pieces.
    What about PTS in Ringaskiddy?

• Advertisement

He'd have bits and pieces.
    What about PTS in Ringaskiddy?

I’ll give them a shout, forgot all about them :o

That part is from an RRW Fireblade, baffling

That part is from an RRW Fireblade, baffling

Better to get the part no.
    You'll be spot on then.

Is this the part?
    If so it's the same part no. for 1998 (RRW) and 1999(RRX)
    It's 64325-MAS-E00ZA

Screenshot-20200313-212033.jpgru image host

Yeah that’s the part. What site are you on there? I’ve sent you an email as well with the photo of what came off it

Would a french bike be different?

Yeah that’s the part. What site are you on there? I’ve sent you an email as well with the photo of what came off it

Would a french bike be different?

Here.
    You can pick what market and whatever year

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/900-MOTO

• Advertisement

Just looking at the part you bought again.
    That looks like a piece is broken off it.

Just looking at the part you bought again.
    That looks like a piece is broken off it.

I've had another look at it, it doesn't look broken, or even feel it unless soneone went to the bother of expertly cutting, very unlikely

Italy :eek:

Should be clear of Corona virus by the time it gets to you! :pac:

• Advertisement

I've had another look at it, it doesn't look broken, or even feel it unless soneone went to the bother of expertly cutting, very unlikely

That's exactly what someone has done.
    There is no part for any fireblade that shape.

That's exactly what someone has done.
    There is no part for any fireblade that shape.

It's very strange. The Italian crowd don't have the part i'm looking for, it's sold

It's very strange. The Italian crowd don't have the part i'm looking for, it's sold

Because they break there when people fall off I suppose.
    There's a lad in Tullamore called Paddy Costello.
    Give him a call as well and see has he one.

I should have his number but it's not in my phone.
    I can get it for you later if you can't look it up.

Because they break there when people fall off I suppose.
    There's a lad in Tullamore called Paddy Costello.
    Give him a call as well and see has he one.

I should have his number but it's not in my phone.
    I can get it for you later if you can't look it up.

My bike was never dropped from what i can see, but that part was well broken, i'll give him a look up there and see what i get.

Edit:

Fire on the phone number when you get a chance, can't find it at all

My bike was never dropped from what i can see, but that part was well broken, i'll give him a look up there and see what i get.

Maybe the indicator stalk breaks them if bike dropped.
    Just guessing though.

Maybe the indicator stalk breaks them if bike dropped.
    Just guessing though.

Now that you mention it, it does, my brother had a 98 blade in 03, he hit the indicator stalk off the side gate and broke it, back then though it was easy to get the panel as they were still reasonably new. I've seen some guys replace those indicators with LED''s, make sense now why. Even for 99 those things are big and bulky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Now that you mention it, it does, my brother had a 98 blade in 03, he hit the indicator stalk off the side gate and broke it, back then though it was easy to get the panel as they were still reasonably new. I've seen some guys replace those indicators with LED''s, make sense now why. Even for 99 those things are big and bulky

I swapped out the originals on my blade for the same reason

Also,take a screenshot of the ad for the one you bought on eBay.
    Handy to have if there is any dispute about condition when it was sent.
    Also take a pic of it and the good one side by side so seller can see what it should be like.

Also,take a screenshot of the ad for the one you bought on eBay.
    Handy to have if there is any dispute about condition when it was sent.
    Also take a pic of it and the good one side by side so seller can see what it should be like.

Screenshot of the one i bought done, I'll take a photo of the other one once it arrives,i'll be sending it back to France anyway.

Separately i have sold the top yoke and petrol cap that originally came with the bike, so i got my money back for the new ones i bought :D

I could nearly strip that blade down in my sleep now and i only have it 3 months :pac:

Think i'll tackle the radiator next :o

mamax wrote: »
    I swapped out the originals on my blade for the same reason

It is something i might consider, i don't want to be spending money every time one of the kids hit off the indicator. Would you have a link by any chance? In saying that i know where there is a scrap one of them with all 4 on it, but didn't look at them properly.

• Advertisement

Personal taste and all that but I find especially the older they get, bikes usually look better with original gear.
    Crash bungs are another option.
    It's your bike though.

Personal taste and all that but I find especially the older they get, bikes usually look better with original gear.
    Crash bungs are another option.
    It's your bike though.

You're a wise head blade1 i'll always take on board what you say :D I prefer it to look as original as possible. Any recommendations on crash bungs? All i know is R&G

You're a wise head blade1 i'll always take on board what you say :D I prefer it to look as original as possible. Any recommendations on crash bungs? All i know is R&G

I wouldn't take on board what I say too much.
    I've plenty of busted bones,scars,chunks missing and bits of metal in me to tell I'm a disaster.
    Always put fun before safety and now I'm getting too old.
    That's not getting sense, it's the body getting too old. :pac:

I wouldn't take on board what I say too much.
    I've plenty of busted bones,scars,chunks missing and bits of metal in me to tell I'm a disaster.
    Always put fun before safety and now I'm getting too old.
    That's not getting sense, it's the body getting too old. :pac:

You've enjoyed yourself a bit too much then? :D:pac:

Lord god what have I taken on

AA966-A49-CE1-B-47-BA-861-B-CBAECD478-F42.png

AD8-D05-CC-6-B91-4081-91-D4-0-F6-E27351712.jpg

06-B7549-D-B2-C4-4416-B9-C3-F9453593-D094.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Piece of piss! :D
    No better time than now to learn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Piece of piss! :D
    No better time than now to learn.

I’ve been at it since 11 this morning doing a few bits, I’ve driving the wife mad :pac:

I've being meaning to do this job with 5 years.
    Sidestand on my Mille is useless.
    Everytime I go somewhere I have to put something under it incase it topples over.

Picked up a Honda Blackbird stand.
    As seen in pic,the hole for the sensor are in different locations so just had to drill a matching hole.
    Blackbird stand on left in first pic (obviously).

Screenshot-20200319-172551-01.jpg

And the difference when done is fantastic

IMG-20200319-153502.jpg
    IMG-20200319-161542.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Marked difference there Blade for sure. Is there an alternative longer factory stand for the mille? Was it the euro stand? I can't remember but my old mille had it.

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    Marked difference there Blade for sure. Is there an alternative longer factory stand for the mille? Was it the euro stand? I can't remember but my old mille had it.

Not sure about that.
    Loving the blackbird one though.
    It's practically a weight off my mind as the bike has nearly being knocked over a few times by people coming over looking at it and just putting their hands on the handlebars.
    Nearly fell over a few times on myself when I had it first.
    A right pain.
    Some dont seem to suffer from it.
    My 03 Tuono is fine and that's the exact same bike only naked.

The only hiccup was when I fit it, it was hitting the fairing in the up position so I put a little JB weld on the bracket where it stops the stand.

It fine now as pictured but I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if the JB weld is tough enough to stop the stand eventually digging into it over the force of the spring.

IMG-20200319-175158.jpg

Cool, that's another factory wrong righted then eh:) We get to do that a lot with apes!
    Jb has its uses alright but if you could run a beade of weld along the stop instead it would last. I reckon if you allow the spring free reign to twonk the stand against the Jb it will flake off in no time. If you don't have a welder handy drop it to me whenever and we can do it.

On my own front operation DRastic took another tiny step forward last night. My barrel and head were rattle canned at some point by a PO.
    So I bought this Draper 3/4" sand blasting kit. Drapers fairly meh imo, but at about 80 yoyos it's in the upper to middle range of the more hobbyist/amateur set ups. Like you can buy a kit like this for as little as 15 quid.
    So from this
    IMG-20200216-170620.jpg

To this in a couple mins
    IMG-20200319-204947.jpg
    I'm not looking fir bare alloy here, just the sh1tty aerosol off and a decent key thereafter.

IMG-20200319-204914.jpg
    It certainly has its limitations, with my compressor I empty the media container in about 60 seconds but Deffo a handy yoke to have kicking about.

Thanks for the offer H Lime, it's well appreciated,I'll certainly keep it in mind.
    The Mille spends most of its life with the stand down and only gets taken out about 10 times during the summer so I'll see how it goes.

What size compressor you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What is it with Italian bikes and shyte sidestands? Do Dukes still have the suicide stands?

Doesn't the reduced lean angle make it more likely to tip over?

Can't crow too much though as the sidestand on the SV is the worst on any bike I've owned, push the bike forward 2cm and it's at risk of toppling. Needs to be angled further forward as well as a bit longer.

Nice job on the blasting H, how did you keep the sand out of where it shouldn't go?

My younfla now thinks I'm a mechanical genius, cause I took his older sister's former pushbike apart, spray painted it to de-girlyfy it, and managed to get it all back together and it's now his :) and I now have an idea of how to assemble head bearings :pac:

Fûck makers of genderified toys, wànkers trying to make us buy twice, three €3.99 Lidl rattle cans in white, light and dark grey gave it an urban camo paint job :D

Scrap the cap!

What is it with Italian bikes and shyte sidestands?

No it's solid as a rock now.
    I don't think there is any difference in the lean angle.
    I think the original stand is too straight that's the problem.
    Where the stand rests on the ground was too near the bike resulting in the bike being on a tiny balance point.
    It is then also short so the bike wouldn't be standing too straight.
    Just to be clear the bike was wanting to fall over on the side with the stand,yeah?

It's perfect now.
    Stand cost £30.
    Surprised how happy I'm now with something that shouldn't even have to cross anyone's mind.

• Advertisement

What is it with Italian bikes and shyte sidestands? Do Dukes still have the suicide stands?

Can't crow too much though as the sidestand on the SV is the worst on any bike I've owned, push the bike forward 2cm and it's at risk of toppling. Needs to be angled further forward as well as a bit longer.

Nice job on the blasting H, how did you keep the sand out of where it shouldn't go?

My younfla now thinks I'm a mechanical genius, cause I took his older sister's former pushbike apart, spray painted it to de-girlyfy it, and managed to get it all back together and it's now his :) and I now have an idea of how to assemble head bearings :pac:

Fûck makers of genderified toys, wànkers trying to make us buy twice, three €3.99 Lidl rattle cans in white, light and dark grey gave it an urban camo paint job :D
    The only thing I did was mask off the gasket surfaces. It's about the only internal engine part I would feel safe blasting as is. There's just the cylinder sleeve and the cam chain tunnel, all open and smooth castings internally without blind passageways or places grit can hide.
    It got a couple tanks of compressed air and then..

IMG-20200319-210354.jpg
    If you eat at my place the dishes taste of 1040:pac:.
    No it's solid as a rock now.
    I don't think there is any difference in the lean angle.
    I think the original stand is too straight that's the problem.
    Where the stand rests on the ground was too near the bike resulting in the bike being on a tiny balance point.
    It is then also short so the bike wouldn't be standing too straight.
    Just to be clear the bike was wanting to fall over on the side with the stand,yeah?

It's perfect now.
    Stand cost £30.
    Surprised how happy I'm now with something that shouldn't even have to cross anyone's mind.

Thats the main problem. The apex of the triangle is too close to the centre of mass. My falco was the same and my etv had stand problems too that I had to reweld. I also had to fix the stand on the Dr big too, stand frenzy! My blackbirds stand however is great:)
    If you want a wee line of weld where that Jb is Whip it off the bike and pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorted two electrical gremlins. Front indicator left side and then dash was knocked off.

Fuse and a connector block up behind radiator cleaned out and down .

Back to normal. Happy days.

Pulled a late one and engine is back together at last. She's had upgraded cct and spring, rehone, decoke and skim, clutch release bearing, plates, valves reground with oil stem seals.
    Just the valve clearances to do then seal her up and blast/paint and back in she goes. Once that happens operation DRastic will hopefully be ready for summer if the plague doesn't wipe us out.
    IMG-20200322-011852.jpg

Ready for paint
    IMG-20200326-232544.jpg
    Been reading those links and more on isocyanates, yer right GalwayTT/CJ, very bad mojo and I'm gona pass on the home brew 2k. Bummed about it but not worth the risk unless I go full bore on ppe and respirator which I wasn't going to so off to the pros!

IMG-20200329-134201.jpg
    Koyo mmmm fook no name "Japanese quality" shyte from weewee moto.

IMG-20200329-212046.jpg
    Bolting shyte on for a change lol

IMG-20200329-222756.jpg
    Factory brass rivets be tidy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement