Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

In a fit of lockdown fever I decided to change the head bearings in the blade last weekend (I had the aprts for a while but kept putting it off), pretty straightforward tbh, that and a full service within a day, now what's next?????

IMG-1998.jpg

IMG-1999.jpg

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

bladespin wrote: »
    In a fit of lockdown fever I decided to change the head bearings in the blade last weekend (I had the aprts for a while but kept putting it off), pretty straightforward tbh, that and a full service within a day, now what's next?????

IMG-1998.jpg

IMG-1999.jpg
    Nice work!
    Swinger and linkage bearings if yer thirsty for more?

lennymc wrote: »
    I can vouch for this

Im a diamond in the rough:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

H_Lime wrote: »
    Quiet man here put up a link to your bike vid. Anxiously awaiting the next instalment:)

Fair play to yis!!
    Will you weld up the hole in the subframe lower rail?

I can't weld myself (yet!!) so it's difficult to arrange things given the way of the world at the moment but there's plenty else to get on with for now. I'll carry on with as much frame prep as I can in the meantime :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

cantdecide wrote: »
    Fair play to yis!!

I can't weld myself (yet!!) so it's difficult to arrange things given the way of the world at the moment but there's plenty else to get on with for now. I'll carry on with as much frame prep as I can in the meantime :cool:

Did welding in FAS (Remember them?:pac:) 20 years ago, you'd pick it up quick enough, i wish i was as gifted as you guys with this stuff, looking forward to the next installment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did welding in FAS (Remember them?:pac:) 20 years ago, you'd pick it up quick enough, i wish i was as gifted as you guys with this stuff, looking forward to the next installment.

They were on the radio the other day talking about setting up an online group for people that were in Fás.
    Fásbook. :pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    They were on the radio the other day talking about setting up an online group for people that were in Fás.
    Fásbook. :pac:

You nearly had me looking for a minute :o :pac:

Fair play to yis!!

Are you tempted to drop the motor and coat the frame?
    It would delay things a lot for you tho and yeah this feckin bat virus is a major bike build downer on top of all the real issues. Thankfully I got mine done prior to all this but still waiting for the engine to come back:( I'm slow to start building up the chassis as it's just so damn easy to lower the frame over the engine if laid on its side and bolt er in, no scraped no drama. Lifting her in is a 68kg ballache.
    Next time scaldi balls or diddles are selling a stick welder buy one! Fun blowing holes in metal. I'm a novice but am getting better and had a go of mig which I loved!
    Get the next vid up!!!!

Ps yer blessed with all the spares!

Was sorting out the rear carrier for my bike, cleaning it,acf50 etc, when I discovered the brackets holding it to the bike were covered in electrical tape, i unravelled it and this is the result, some pieces of scrap metal put to use. Might as well polish and paint them

7-C8-F1-EA5-775-B-452-F-A173-96-B6946-F9095.jpg

BCE54-C7-B-7279-4-B4-A-A5-B9-D46103802-B13.jpg

Are you tempted to drop the motor and coat the frame?

Always tempted but there was a few reasons not to this time. We used the parts bike for a practice run and we confirmed what we'd read elsewhere; getting the engine out of the frame is a pain on these bikes. Even if you dropped the frame over the engine, there would be a lot of risk to your new finishes. In this case, a "restoration" is a bit of a stretch, it's really a cosmetic restoration of a low mileage bike so the valve clearance check is as far into the engine we need to go. I believe it won't be difficult to get a good, reliable finish.

• Advertisement

Fazer update... if I rub it any more, I may go blind.

Fazer update... if I rub it any more, I may go blind.

All good, and very organised;) Puts my chaos to shame:pac:
    The white boards a good idea.

What's your thoughts on the subframe repair, cosmetic or structural?
    Temptation is fill the sides till she's closes, grind back and spray over.
    I suppose if it were mine I'd seek someone with better skills than myself to weld a section of half tube faced over the hole expending up and down to assure myself that it would not want to fold. This would more than likely be a visible repair tho yea?
    How thin is the metal in the corroded area around there?
    Perhaps pm a link of some pics of it to "gn3dr" on here and ask his opinion?

Love to see your plating efforts. It's something I'd like to do but I'm lazy and I've not done it before. Bought a load of oem fasteners there from megazip today. Christ it doesn't be long adding up. Like a complete nerd I even bought the warning stickers and all the bespoke clips and rubber bits for around the bars. These little bits are all in sight every time your on it so said I would.

Re your dinged tank, is it bad? If not this may be of use to ya, worked well for me
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111940314&postcount=4077

Mad the airbox is captive without engine removal!

Frame refinish is continuing. My beloved Hammerite Smooth black does the biz once again. I've layered on a coat over the scabbiest bits to seal the bare metal and I'll join the dots later for the final finish.

All good, and very organised;) Puts my chaos to shame:pac:
    The white boards a good idea.

I'm fond of a good list!
    What's your thoughts on the subframe repair, cosmetic or structural? How thin is the metal in the corroded area around there?

It needs some grafting but it's fine. I think I have someone (...acceptable given the current circumstance) to sort it out. The hole is very localised so I'm not worried about it. It's just steel at the end of the day.
    Love to see your plating efforts.

Stand by. I really need to see if the chems are going to be available. I think it doesn't seem to be that difficult as long as you have the right stuff and follow the method.
    Re your dinged tank, is it bad? If not this may be of use to ya, worked well for me
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111940314&postcount=4077

It's got a very stiff crease and will need bodyworking for sure. I'll send it out for bodyworking but we'll paint it ourselves :)

I’m about to embark on an acf50 mission, to say I’m nervous about the stand is an understatement

108-E79-C6-F38-F-40-F7-836-E-BDA3-B2-AA7219.jpg

I’m about to embark on an acf50 mission, to say I’m nervous about the stand is an understatement

108-E79-C6-F38-F-40-F7-836-E-BDA3-B2-AA7219.jpg

Why, won't go anywhere as long as the hooks are in the bobbins correctly.

Why, won't go anywhere as long as the hooks are in the bobbins correctly.

My first time :pac:

If you're using the U-shaped pads (rather than the hooks for bobbins) there is a risk the stand will start inching forward. It's just a matter of keeping an eye on it and not dragging the bike one way or another

Iirc which I often don't I struggled with my paddock stand (cups) on the busa as the brake torque arm fouled it or at least made it finnerickity.

Thanks CD & H.

The photos aren’t the greatest but here are the hooks into cups

F57-FBEDA-1-A88-425-B-A3-CC-090-C733392-D5.jpg

92032927-B38-A-4-F29-88-D7-0-FD8-E3-DD32-AC.jpg

• Advertisement

With or without the grab rail?

9-FDB8-C66-9184-4-F2-F-AF6-C-EA493945-E2-FE.jpg

Without grab rail if you won't be using it.
    Hooks are very close to swing arm.
    Will they scratch it?
    They should hang down more.(the one on the chain side anyway.

Yeah something wrong there I do not like the look of that.

Yeah something wrong there I do not like the look of that.

Back to the cups for the meantime I think.

Tbh I don't trust them hooks for two reasons. First is there's scrape potential and second is that design hook seems bloody poor.
    The fully rubberised cups cannot scrape a swinger.

Without grab rail if you won't be using it.
    Hooks are very close to swing arm.
    Will they scratch it?
    They should hang down more.(the one on the chain side anyway.

It’s millimetres from the swing arm

Tbh I don't trust them hooks for two reasons. First is there's scrape potential and second is that design hook seems bloody poor.

Any link to the cups? This area is completely new to me

She’s back down off the stand now

3-F670-E99-E304-4-FF9-89-DB-6684-C802868-F.jpg

Mine is a micron stand I bought 20 yrs QM. I'd say it will last me out.

• Advertisement

Mine is a micron stand I bought 20 yrs QM. I'd say it will last me out.

Similar to this?

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/11532

I think it's the swingarm is the biggest problem here.
    The way it is slanting inwards.
    The hooks normally would be the better method.
    This is how it should be, though on a slightly different hook system.

IMG-20200423-165043.jpg

IMG-20200423-165106.jpg

I think it's the swingarm is the biggest problem here.
    The way it is slanting inwards.
    The hooks normally would be the better method.
    This is how it should be, though on a slightly different hook system.

IMG-20200423-165043.jpg

IMG-20200423-165106.jpg

That looks straightforward on your bike.

Would these be a better solution in this case? I take on board what cantdecide says as well

4-A39-A972-A823-4500-83-E6-B2-B7-C960995-A.jpg

Were the holes for the bobbins there already and you bought bobbins?

The rubber one u posted would be good for stopping scratches but can be awkward because of your rear brake.
    Especially on a bigger bike.

Personally I'd try and figure out a bobbin solution but may be more work.

You could always use 2 axle stands and a metal rod through the swingarm pivot to keep the bike up.
    Put back on the grab rail and hang the bike off the roof :D

Were the holes for the bobbins there already and you bought bobbins?

The rubber one u posted would be good for stopping scratches but can be awkward because of your rear brake.
    Especially on a bigger bike.

Personally I'd try and figure out a bobbin solution but may be more work.

You could always use 2 axle stands and a metal rod through the swingarm pivot to keep the bike up.

It came with the bobbins already attached,

I’m experimenting with the rubber ones at the minute.

If all else fails I’m looking at an ABBA stand

Edit:

I have a pair of bobbins that were intended for the blade, they are slightly wider than what’s already on the busa so swapped them out, will try it after

Try a couple of washers on each one as well to get them out a little further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I fit a luggage rack to my cbr 600 last night, I was lucky to find one second hand on adverts.

I just need to trim the fairings a bit now to fit. I was just going to use a file, any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

definitely without grabrail.

There is a handy mod that allows you convert the mahoosive seat hump into storage - this one (https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/hump-storage-modification.58576/) was the option I was going to do. It would give enough space for waterproofs, tools etc.

edit - no joy on the manual btw (although i will keep an eye out - we moved house last year and i am still finding stuff)

I had a Busa the exact same colour. I'm not a big fan of seat humps in general (I know I'm in a minority on that). I bought mine with just a hump and an aftermarket seat so I went to the effort of finding a pair of standard seats and a grab rail for my one.

The blade went straight up on the stand on the rubber mounts

F99-B645-A-F5-B6-4252-AFA1-BACC287785-D4.jpg

AFFA306-D-4204-466-E-B21-F-255-A1-A772-B73.jpg

There’s no hardware store open :pac:

All I have is copper ones.

• Advertisement

There’s no hardware store open :pac:

All I have is copper ones.

scottoiler, cover and lube tool turned up, so tomorrow ill be fitting scottoiler, lubing, and covering up!

definitely without grabrail.

There is a handy mod that allows you convert the mahoosive seat hump into storage - this one (https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/hump-storage-modification.58576/) was the option I was going to do. It would give enough space for waterproofs, tools etc.

edit - no joy on the manual btw (although i will keep an eye out - we moved house last year and i am still finding stuff)

Yeah was thinking the same. The chances of me having a pillion are a million to one,

Will definitely check out that link.

Not to worry on the Manual. If you ever do come across it don’t forget me ;) :pac:

I had a Busa the exact same colour. I'm not a big fan of seat humps in general (I know I'm in a minority on that). I bought mine with just a hump and an aftermarket seat so I went to the effort of finding a pair of standard seats and a grab rail for my one.

I’ll drop you a PM there cd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

scottoiler, cover and lube tool turned up, so tomorrow ill be fitting scottoiler, lubing, and covering up!

Which scottoiler did you go for, standard vacuum or electronic yokes?

Something I've been thinking of doing for a while (and I have the time now :rolleyes:) but to be fair the centre stand on the fazer makes chain maintenance a bit easier....

Which scottoiler did you go for, standard vacuum or electronic yokes?

Something I've been thinking of doing for a while (and I have the time now :rolleyes:) but to be fair the centre stand on the fazer makes chain maintenance a bit easier....

i ended up going for the standard one over the electric one - finances have taken a battering this month as i bought lots of other stuff that i did and didn't need, and it was less than half the price of the electric one!

The fitting looks simple enough on them - a lot of it is getting the routing of the tubes right. Will take a few pics and see how it goes.

model specific fitting guides at http://kbvps.scottoiler.com/category/model-specific-install-guides/3/

Hhmmmm

47-A3-A2-FD-FEE1-47-C2-B090-E9-B63-BADF2-A9.jpg

Kids in bed so might as well give Bella Blade a going over

8-C369057-3-CA0-43-B0-A41-E-2-E1-F0-C9-C9-B55.jpg

Hhmmmm

47-A3-A2-FD-FEE1-47-C2-B090-E9-B63-BADF2-A9.jpg

It looks like it's been murdered by a serial killer:)

Kids in bed so might as well give Bella Blade a going over

8-C369057-3-CA0-43-B0-A41-E-2-E1-F0-C9-C9-B55.jpg

I dig these, lookin sweet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement