Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Same as.
    Engine and frame finish look smart!
    Shout of you wanna borrow those fans, extraction fan I replied to you about for operation paint it (black?)
    Maybe consider some footage of work or mid work like say balancing the carbs or mid way through painting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

My Memphis Shades fairing should arrive any day now for the Fat Bob.

Looking forward to longer rides without feeling exhausted after it. Will post pictures once it's on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

newmember? wrote: »
    I'm trying to service the centre stand on my deauville that has got stiff and doesn't return fully and needs a bit of a kick. The stand pivot has a hollow shaft running inside it that's fixed to the frame at either end. I need to clean all the rust and crap out of the stand pivot tube that rotates around this shaft. Does anyone know where I'll get a wire brush similar to a bottle or pipe cleaner that'd do the job that has wire bristles? Anything I've seen online is advertised as a wire brush but then when you look at it properly you see that it is indeed a brush made of wire but the bristles are actually nylon or whatever which wouldn't really be good enough for what I need.

What you're looking for are called tube brushes, often used in boiler maintenance.

Caulfield Industrial in Galway have a wide range:

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/c/schaefer/255

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gintonious wrote: »
    Looking forward to longer rides without feeling exhausted after it.

fnarr fnarr

today I... took delivery after three weeks of my fork bits and bobs! I ordered off CMSNL on 4th June, got a confirmation email, they charged my card the next day. Then nothing, complete radio silence. Despatch date on the site on successive days was 30th June, then 2nd July, then 3rd July... not getting any nearer. I got onto their online contact form a week ago asking what the story was. Turns out the fork cap o-rings (which I was debating as to whether I needed to order at all) are on back order and they were holding up the whole shipment without telling me. They agreed to ship the rest and will send on the o-rings by letter post when they get them.

On other sites like Wemoto you can see if they have something in stock before you order it, and they tell you what the expected wait time for anything is. CMS seem to run a very good operation otherwise but this is a thing they fall down on.

Cheeky, too, charging a card weeks before stuff is going to be despatched. Anywhere else I've used charges on despatch.

Should've ordered from Fowlers!

The irony is I busted my knee last weekend so there'll be no mechanicking by me for a week or two - so I might as well not have bothered complaining!

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

gn3dr wrote: »
    Just watched and liked. Looking good.

Cheers fella :)

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    Same as.
    Engine and frame finish look smart!
    Shout of you wanna borrow those fans, extraction fan I replied to you about for operation paint it (black?)

Cheers for all that. I might drop you a line about that fan setup you have! Yes, the bike is going back to its original black on black on black style!
    Maybe consider some footage of work or mid work like say balancing the carbs or mid way through painting?

That stuff is on my mind for sure. I'm hoping to knit some clips like these into my next video but I'm under some pressure to turn this bike around while the market is still there (I'm not planning to keep it after it's done!) and the learning curve for filming and editing is too steep to go do anything other than the POV single shot stuff I've been doing. I know it's cheesy but it's all I got for now. My buddy is trying to develop his channel too and he's up to his neck in editing software so hopefully by the time the Fazer's done, I'll be able to lean on his skills and do a few more tutorials or maybe give some more information on the products I use.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Yes, the bike is going back to its original black on black on black style!

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

I knew I was half asleep checking the air filter, but damn!!!!!!!

12-E2-EFD8-2450-4-A95-A281-C5-AE6-D33-F943.jpg

Bagster fitted

76604756-1-C07-479-F-B694-77758-B0-D474-E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I knew I was half asleep checking the air filter, but damn!!!!!!!

12-E2-EFD8-2450-4-A95-A281-C5-AE6-D33-F943.jpg

Bagster fitted

76604756-1-C07-479-F-B694-77758-B0-D474-E.jpg

You need to heat the bagstar before fitting so it takes the sale of the tank ;)

blade1 wrote: »
    You need to heat the bagstar before fitting so it takes the sale of the tank ;)

Never did that before. Just stick it on the radiator? Hardly a hairdryer?

• Advertisement

Never did that before. Just stick it on the radiator?

I put mine in front of an electric heater.
    The cover will go all floppy.
    Then fit on bike and tighten straps.
    It will then stay in shape for good.
    I can see by the pic that it's not fitting perfectly.

I put mine in front of an electric heater.
    The cover will go all floppy.
    Then fit on bike and tighten straps.
    It will then stay in shape for good.
    I can see by the pic that it's not fitting perfectly.

Yeah it’s not 100%

I’ve no electric heater though. Radiator?

Yeah it’s not 100%

I’ve no electric heater though. Radiator?

Hang it on a chair in front of it so.
    Get the cover heated all over.
    You'll know when to fit as it should be softer all over.

IMG-0101-zps4h0wjpzq.jpg

I also have a proper bagstar tank bag (35litre I think)

Hang it on a chair in front of it so.
    Get the cover heated all over.
    You'll know when to fit as it should be softer all over.

I’ll give it a go. Does it take long to heat up?

I’ll give it a go. Does it take long to heat up?

Can't remember.
    15 min maybe in front of electric fire.

Can't remember.
    15 min maybe in front of electric fire.

Not too bad, I’ll try it tomorrow so.

Have you a Corbin seat on that bike?

Not too bad, I’ll try it tomorrow so.

Have you a Corbin seat on that bike?
    Nah, gel one made by a French crowd called topsellerie.
    Nice and comfy.

Nah, gel one made by a French crowd called topsellerie.
    Nice and comfy.

That’s class.

Screenshot-20200630-220302.jpg

• Advertisement

Screenshot-20200630-220302.jpg

I’ve just looked at the site, those seats are very reasonable, seen one with the red stitching but it wouldn’t suit the colour of mine. I might get it for Christmas :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fitted a new exhaust to the MSX, didn’t take that long as access is good. Saves a bit of weight but is too loud without a dB killler.
    Quick ecu reset and it’s all running well again.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Fitted a new exhaust to the MSX, didn’t take that long as access is good. Saves a bit of weight but is too loud without a dB killler.
    Quick ecu reset and it’s all running well again.

Cool! Didn't know you had a grom, would love one, what's it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A lot of fun, I put knobbies on it changed the fork springs to suit a gentleman of my stature and have been enjoying it a lot. It’s a really easy bike to own. Small in footprint for easy storage and it handles really well once I changed the springs out. It could probably do with a shock upgrade but that can wait for a while.

107388384_10218068353440978_3467732455532073999_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=o8iG2iJgl8kAX_oRjO1&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=e6d7a0640ef154d2c5d18e01521e5b3f&oe=5F2A5A87

Memphis Shades Roadwarrior fairing. Took it for a spin on Saturday and the improvement on the highway was insane. More parts arrive over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

107388384_10218068353440978_3467732455532073999_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=o8iG2iJgl8kAX_oRjO1&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=e6d7a0640ef154d2c5d18e01521e5b3f&oe=5F2A5A87

Memphis Shades Roadwarrior fairing. Took it for a spin on Saturday and the improvement on the highway was insane. More parts arrive over the next few weeks.

Very nice :)

Have you found any practical luggage options for the bike ?

D3V!L wrote: »
    Very nice :)

Have you found any practical luggage options for the bike ?

Nothing that I like just yet, mostly leather saddlebags, a sissy bar might help a bit too for strapping a bag to.

Totally gone off Harleys but that's one nice looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

That’s an absolutely savage machine :D

• Advertisement

Holy toledo, 114 inch cubed is well over 1800cc lol, hoooge! Does she run twin spark heads?! What's mpg like? What's the bore and stroke? You'd think it's gotta be a square motor at that cc Harley dont rev high so probably a long stroke yeah?

Took a look at my project SV650S' front end - will need a speedo sensor rotor, caliper seals, and some prep for paint to refresh to the forks. Much more to do but should be smooth enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Took a look at my project SV650S' front end - will need a speedo sensor rotor, caliper seals, and some prep for paint to refresh to the forks. Much more to do but should be smooth enough...

Is the Fazer done or is this a parallel project?
    Edit:
    Scratch that - I posted before I watched the video and see nowthat you talked about and showed the Fazer towards the end of the video.

Holy toledo, 114 inch cubed is well over 1800cc lol, hoooge! Does she run twin spark heads?! What's mpg like? What's the bore and stroke? You'd think it's gotta be a square motor at that cc Harley dont rev high so probably a long stroke yeah?

Twin spark yeah, 8 sparks in total for the twin, hence the name Milwaukee 8 :)

I get about 280-300 out of a tank, lower in the city though which can bring it down a good bit.

Bore x stroke is 4.016” x 4.5, gives out 118 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm as well which is the fun part. Has a stage 1 on it (just the exhaust and fuel flow). Feels like a turbo on the road and it is addictive as hell to ramp it up.

memphis-shades-road-warrior-lens-fxfb-83002958_2765651043517109_8574588612804148291_n__45858.1582826079.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

Not my bike, but I added the lens over the headlight today, so it fills in the gap in front of the light and stop the garbage pilling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Rear brake master cylinder service,caliper clean and a bleed with RBF racing fluid.
    S1000RR has a proper rear brake again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

Progress on my Honda CB550 cafe racer has really slowed down but I made a short video showing how I made a new points cover for the engine.

Fox Mulder wrote: »
    Progress on my Honda CB550 cafe racer has really slowed down but I made a short video showing how I made a new points cover for the engine.

What can I say! Soo cool:)

What can I say! Soo cool:)

That is very cool. What CAD do you use?
    What was the total machining time on that?

Is the Fazer done or is this a parallel project?
    Edit:
    Scratch that - I posted before I watched the video and see nowthat you talked about and showed the Fazer towards the end of the video.

Indeed. I'm mad to get back on the Fazer but I should get this one off the bench first. At least now, the last of the Fazer parts should roll in in the meantime. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

That is very cool. What CAD do you use?
    What was the total machining time on that?

I use CREO (PRO/ENGINEER). Anyone can download the academic version off their website and it has all the functionality except you cant transfer parts between two different users. The machining takes a while as my mill is very small and will only take modest cuts.

• Advertisement

Progress on my project SV650...

520466.jpg
    520467.jpg
    520468.jpg
    520469.jpg

520466.jpg
    520467.jpg
    520468.jpg
    520469.jpg

Good ol Suzuki paint n plating eh!
    Looking great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Good ol Suzuki paint n plating eh!
    Looking great!

Was probably like this after the first week on the road.

Looks good, nice job.

So true but I'll still always regards myself as a Suzuki guy!!

Cheers, gang!!

So true but I'll still always regards myself as a Suzuki guy!!

Cheers, gang!!

Three in the garage myself, they are fun machines.

I use CREO (PRO/ENGINEER). Anyone can download the academic version off their website and it has all the functionality except you cant transfer parts between two different users. The machining takes a while as my mill is very small and will only take modest cuts.

Thanks. I use Bobcad which includes CAM also. I have the same problem with modest cuts as my machine is also small (a Syil X4) . I've be been offered an old Bridgeport CNC recently for refitting with more modern controls. Not sure I need another tool project though.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

520466.jpg
    520467.jpg
    520468.jpg
    520469.jpg

What did you use to tidy them up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Fabio

I like your videos. I don't often watch stuff on Youtube but well done on yours! I've made a couple myself but haven't had the guts to go upload them yet...

What did you use to tidy them up?

+1. what prep work did you do, sanding? primer? top coat? lacquer or not?

Looks like you just masked off hoses, oil filler and window, wires, and sprayed everything else, bolt heads and all? I was thinking of having to remove the engine side covers to do it which would be a pain.

SV1000 engine cases could do with the same treatment once I get the forks done. The forks aren't in bad shape at all, but seeing as though I'm taking them off and apart anyway I should look into taking the opportunity to redo the finish.

Doing physio and my knee is getting a little bit stronger every day so I might be back on the road this summer, yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Replaced the mirrors today, then when they were fitted I noticed something. I'd left the bubble wrap on unyil id finished fitting so as not to damage so never saw the crack

• Advertisement
Advertisement