Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Suppose it should be as good as new when repaired, but could be a message from the bike gods telling you it ..
    Serves you right for not buying an African twin ��

Just got this from the dealer.

524270.jpg

I could have swore my bike was bigger :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Make the next one a nice Suzuki DL , bulletproof.

listermint wrote: »

Yep, a nice reliable Jap bike will be next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Jesus, you havent had much luck with bikes. Hope you get sorted!

Is that engine casing scratched already? :eek:

GBX wrote: »
    Jesus, you havent had much luck with bikes. Hope you get sorted!

Is that engine casing scratched already? :eek:

No, no I haven't. Only bikes I've had no problems in my 20 years on them have been Jap machines. Might go that way in the future. The GS is my daily driver. I'm a key worker and I need to be mobile at the drop of a hat. So reliability is key.

I'm hoping thats a grease mark. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jaysus D3V!L, haven't you had problems with your last GS?

It's bloody awful to see happen with such an amazing looking (and expensive) bike.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Jaysus D3V!L, haven't you had problems with your last GS?

It's bloody awful to see happen with such an amazing looking (and expensive) bike.

Last one was grand, well apart from the back wheel needing replacing. Oh and BMW themselves damaging it when it was recovered to Cork for an engine knocking.

So , no problems :pac:

Walking is great for your health isn't it , might start that instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    No, no I haven't. Only bikes I've had no problems in my 20 years on them have been Jap machines. Might go that way in the future. The GS is my daily driver. I'm a key worker and I need to be mobile at the drop of a hat. So reliability is key.

I'm hoping thats a grease mark. :(

You should have kept the ZZR1400.
    That was over 10 years ago yeah?

blade1 wrote: »
    You should have kept the ZZR1400.
    That was over 10 years ago yeah?

Yep., you've a great memory. Faultless machine, took me across Europe in -20 Celsius temps in the height of winter without issues.

I don't think my back would last long on one these days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Last one was grand, well apart from the back wheel needing replacing. Oh and BMW themselves damaging it when it was recovered to Cork for an engine knocking.

So , no problems :pac:

Walking is great for your health isn't it , might start that instead :)

Just don't start cycling! :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Just don't start cycling! :pac::pac:

:o

Got swingarm removal adaptors for my abba stand.
    They bolt into your front foot hanger bracket.
    Very handy to have.
    There's also an arm and strap you can get which allows you have the bike in front wheel or both wheels off the ground positions.
    You can then have both wheels, swingarm and front forks off the bike all at one time.
    Think I'll purchase.

IMG-20200819-173058.jpg

IMG-20200819-173142.jpg

So the kit arrived for lifting the front.

The Verdict..... It takes a bit of effort to push down the back of the bike and tighten the strap at the same time.
    I'll have to try it on my ZZR to see is it manageable on a big bike.
    Maybe it's only a problem when using the swingarm removal adaptors as this means the pivot of the bike is a little further back.

Two wheels off the ground on my Tuono
    IMG-20200826-132334.jpg

Is the dolly the next step? hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That looks the job. I need a workspace, my front garden isn't cutting it.

Today I wired in the heated grips and made a neat job of the wiring. I had wanted to source power from somewhere other then going directly to battery then decided I wasn't arsed and I'd trust the grips to switch themselves off if I forget to.

Refreshed the brake fluid too, front not a bother apart from the screws on the reservoir being rung, some donkey bet them in with the wrong size screwdriver, i had to re-use them but they'll be replaced over the next week. Then the bleed nipple on the rear caliper sheered off, felt cross threaded when I opened it and i just went with it, when I closed it off the last time and announcing 'job done' it came off. It sheered but in the closed position so brake is functioning but will be replaced in the next day or so. Drilling it out will be tremendous fun.

I'll rebuild the whole caliper and change the pads while it's off. Might do the same with the fronts while I'm at it, rebuilding calipers is such a satisfying job

That looks the job. I need a workspace, my front garden isn't cutting it.

Today I wired in the heated grips and made a neat job of the wiring. I had wanted to source power from somewhere other then going directly to battery then decided I wasn't arsed and I'd trust the grips to switch themselves off if I forget to.

Refreshed the brake fluid too, front not a bother apart from the screws on the reservoir being rung, some donkey bet them in with the wrong size screwdriver, i had to re-use them but they'll be replaced over the next week. Then the bleed nipple on the rear caliper sheered off, felt cross threaded when I opened it and i just went with it, when I closed it off the last time and announcing 'job done' it came off. It sheered but in the closed position so brake is functioning but will be replaced in the next day or so. Drilling it out will be tremendous fun.

I'll rebuild the whole caliper and change the pads while it's off. Might do the same with the fronts while I'm at it, rebuilding calipers is such a satisfying job

Get someone to tack a bolt head on it. Come off in a second. Screwing be a pain in the hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Refreshed the brake fluid too, front not a bother apart from the screws on the reservoir being rung, some donkey bet them in with the wrong size screwdriver, i had to re-use them but they'll be replaced over the next week

Do yourself a favour and invest in a Vessel Impacta screwdriver, yes they are not cheap but if you work on Japanese bikes they are a massive timesaver.
    You can beat the head and it turns 12° like the old style impact drivers but these are designed for JIS screw heads not Philips or Pozi.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vessel-Megadora-Impacta-P2x150-Screwdriver/dp/B003BGZ9CO/ref=asc_df_B003BGZ9CO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205341469171&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10273344919706108538&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007835&hvtargid=pla-420694736819&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Get someone to tack a bolt head on it. Come off in a second. Screwing be a pain in the hole

I have a good set of extraction tools and I'll do it on the bench, have just bought a snap on drill so need to justify the spend on that anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Screwing be a pain in the hole

Ooh matron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

524270.jpg

Story boss, any update on operation cut the bike in half and replace the bogey bit with a hopefully less bogey bit?
    Did they give you a loaner?

H_Lime wrote: »
    Story boss, any update on operation cut the bike in half and replace the bogey bit with a hopefully less bogey bit?
    Did they give you a loaner?

No replacement bike as its up with Belfast BMW and their insurance doesn't cover bikes outside of the state. I have my wifes RNineT in the mean time.

Its had a replacement gear box and should hopefully be back with me this morning. Fingers crossed everything is ok :)

No replacement bike as its up with Belfast BMW and their insurance doesn't cover bikes outside of the state. I have my wifes RNineT in the mean time.

Its had a replacement gear box and should hopefully be back with me this morning. Fingers crossed everything is ok :)

Now I know what BMW means!

Borrow My Wife's! :D

• Advertisement

Now I know what BMW means!

Borrow My Wife's! :D

I understood it to mean Bring More Wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I understood it to mean Bring More Wallet.

Ever been shopping, then you'll know that Borrow My Wife IS the same as Bring More Wallet

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ever been shopping, then you'll know that Borrow My Wife IS the same as Bring More Wallet

I think there is an important distinction between Borrow my Wife and Borrow My Wife's:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think there is an important distinction between Borrow my Wife and Borrow My Wife's:D

Well you have to cover the substantial bill somehow...

They ain't hanging round turning her around in that time frame.
    Have a buddy who's a beemer tech in UK who services police fleet bikes, he's done that more times than he cares to remember. Must ask him how many hrs labour it takes and what the costs would rack up to out of warrenty. BMW lube would be required for the rodgering you could expect.
    Wonder do they know exactly the cause of the failure, knowing bmw I bet they do.
    Ride the hole off her when you get her back;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Suzuki... Bulletproof? They're made of chocolate.

LOL XD

zubair wrote: »
    Suzuki... Bulletproof? They're made of chocolate.

LOL XD

Chocolate... Absolutely bullet proof. I've seen gxr go to the bottom of a lake. Be picked up some days later and fired up straight away after emptying the cylinders of water.

Suzuki's are bullet roof. My own takes an immense amount of abuse. Nearing 90,000 miles on mine. Yes miles and she's drives like it has a tenth of that.

As with any bike there's areas of rust on extremities like oil coolers and exhaust piping . But that's to be expected it gets driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I've seen gxr go to the bottom of a lake.

Went in a gsxr, came out a gxr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Chocolate... Absolutely bullet proof. I've seen gxr go to the bottom of a lake. Be picked up some days later and fired up straight away after emptying the cylinders of water.

Suzuki's are bullet roof. My own takes an immense amount of abuse. Nearing 90,000 miles on mine. Yes miles and she's drives like it has a tenth of that.

As with any bike there's areas of rust on extremities like oil coolers and exhaust piping . But that's to be expected it gets driven.

I’ve had one Suzuki bike, and it’s put me off them for life. The greatest piece of sh1te that I’ve ever wasted money on

• Advertisement

I’ve had one Suzuki bike, and it’s put me off them for life. The greatest piece of sh1te that I’ve ever wasted money on

My first bike was a suzuki. It was only a little marauder 125 but after a few months parts were falling off it. Got rid of it for a yamaha and never looked back.

I'll refer you to D3v!L woes above.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

524270.jpg

Tell you what though- the fact they have a special jig to hold the motor, and that it looks well used (i.e. not shiney...) is very telling ....

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    Tell you what though- the fact they have a special jig to hold the motor, and that it looks well used (i.e. not shiney...) is very telling ....

Its the main dealer for NI so id say the jig is well used. I drove the bike home from Belfast yesterday evening in torrential rain and it didn't miss a beat. The lads up there are bang on and really know how to look after their customers. I couldn't say the same for BMW breakdown recovery.

Its the main dealer for NI so id say the jig is well used. I drove the bike home from Belfast yesterday evening in torrential rain and it didn't miss a beat. The lads up there are bang on and really know how to look after their customers. I couldn't say the same for BMW breakdown recovery.

Yer sorted so, a speedy resolution, then again it's a brand new machine that sh@t itself so one would expect that. Did you ask them or a new bike and what if it does it again out of interest?
    Is there a lemon law here?

Yer sorted so, a speedy resolution, then again it's a brand new machine that sh@t itself so one would expect that. Did you ask them or a new bike and what if it does it again out of interest?
    Is there a lemon law here?

There is a lemon law and I had a cursory glance. I think they have 2 times to fix something in 6 months. Ive spent a fair few quid on extras so I'd be more inclined to get this fixed.

The gear box is smooth now, like my wife's RNineT. My GSA was never like this from day one so there must have been an underlying issue with it.

• Advertisement

There is a lemon law and I had a cursory glance. I think they have 2 times to fix something in 6 months. Ive spent a fair few quid on extras so I'd be more inclined to get this fixed.

The gear box is smooth now, like my wife's RNineT. My GSA was never like this from day one so there must have been an underlying issue with it.

Did they tell you what the issue was or what they suspected it was?

Did they tell you what the issue was or what they suspected it was?

Nope, they don't do strip downs of the gear boxes. The unit is delivered by BMW and they just swap them out. The R series bikes are fairly modular. If the engine had an issue , funny ticking or something BMW would just replace the whole unit.

My first bike was a suzuki. It was only a little marauder 125 but after a few months parts were falling off it. Got rid of it for a yamaha and never looked back.

No offence but budget piles of ****e are budget likes of ****e in any brand. Whether it's poor metals or poor steels they are all cheap so your experience isn't really valid. Maurader lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

20200603-162121.jpg

Yeah sure they practically fall apart after a few months. FFS.

20200603-162121.jpg

Yeah sure they practically fall apart after a few months. FFS.

Did she sell Paddy? Looks sweet.

• Advertisement

Nope, they don't do strip downs of the gear boxes. The unit is delivered by BMW and they just swap them out. The R series bikes are fairly modular. If the engine had an issue , funny ticking or something BMW would just replace the whole unit.

Crazy, did you ask em what they thought the fault may have even been?
    Anyway, glad yer sorted Devil, hope she's groovy for you here on but tbh if I was a betting man I'd say we will see another pic of her in her natural habitat again, the van. In fairness to you you don't hide the good from the bad. Good luck.

No offence but budget piles of ****e are budget likes of ****e in any brand. Whether it's poor metals or poor steels they are all cheap so your experience isn't really valid. Maurader lol..

Valuable input there mate thanks. Yes a little marauder hilarious, but we all couldn't start out on gixxers or ducatis unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Did she sell Paddy? Looks sweet.

No, I had two bikes on dungdeal, I took both adds down, people ring with a long questionnaire then say it's out of their budget and fire a lowball offer. I don't know but there seems to be the perception if your selling you're desperate. Might change next year if the suzi doesn't fall apart in the shed.

Valuable input there mate thanks. Yes a little marauder hilarious, but we all couldn't start out on gixxers or ducatis unfortunately.

I was pointing out how you based a single entry level bike which has the cheapest parts in it as the basis for an entire Marque.... Valuable input there mate indeed.

I was pointing out how you based a single entry level bike which has the cheapest parts in it as the basis for an entire Marque.... Valuable input there mate indeed.

Yes I know, but the equivalent yamaha entry level bikes were much higher quality for pretty much the same money. The lol at the marauder was annoying

No, I had two bikes on dungdeal, I took both adds down, people ring with a long questionnaire then say it's out of their budget and fire a lowball offer. I don't know but there seems to be the perception if your selling you're desperate. Might change next year if the suzi doesn't fall apart in the shed.
    Fellas be thinking that alright what with the rona and people falling on harder times. Yours is an honest bike in super nick but unfortunately you have the chancers to deal with too:rolleyes:

Yes I know, but the equivalent yamaha entry level bikes were much higher quality for pretty much the same money. The lol at the marauder was annoying

I know it was intended to wind ya up :P

Point still stands, you made a blanket post so i wanted to 1 call you out and 2 give ya a little windup.

Look its friday we're all friends here.

I know it was intended to wind ya up :P

Point still stands, you made a blanket post so i wanted to 1 call you out and 2 give ya a little windup.

Look its friday we're all friends here.

Fair enough, I could have made my point a bit clearer at the start. The marauder was a ball of ****e, got rid of it after 9 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I’ve had great results selling on Facebook marketplace recently. Posted my TZR125 up On fb at 11.30pm on a Thursday night and it was on a trailer at 11.30am the following morning. Quite a few interested people I had to disappoint.
    Had the same stuff up on dung deal and had nothing but time wasters.

Brake fluid day today, Flushed the MSX and the Deauville front and back.
    I used ATE SL6 because the MSX has ABS and low viscosity fluid is supposed to be good for them.
    I stuck it in the Deauville because fresh fluid is always better than old stuff.
    The MSX is a bit of a pain you have to strip half the bodywork away to get to the rear master cylinder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement