Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Clonmel

Options
  • 11-01-2013 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    myself and my wife will be heading to Clonmel shortly for a few days. can anyone recommend things for us to do. we wont have our child with us so adult-y things would be good, can you also recommend a good Indian and Chinese in the town
    we will be getting the train down so can you tell me how to get into the town from the station too
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

dont know if theres anything on in town during Jan, I think thers the National Coursing early Feb and the races, but i thin Jan is pretty quiet! Theres lots of pubs to visit :)

Straight across from the railway station is a pretty ok Chinese place 'Pagar Garden' and a good Indian restaurant (Planet Spice) in Mary Street near the town center. You'll see lots more in the main area of the town also.
    The town center it's about a Kilometer away, usually you can get a Taxi at the railway and i'm sure if you look up taxi service Clonmel in the Golden Pages you'll find some to put in your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Hi guys,
    myself and my wife will be heading to Clonmel shortly for a few days. can anyone recommend things for us to do. we wont have our child with us so adult-y things would be good, can you also recommend a good Indian and Chinese in the town
    we will be getting the train down so can you tell me how to get into the town from the station too
    thanks

The town is only about 1km away. Where are you staying?

Good Indian is Planet Spice on Mary Street or Emperor Palace (I think) on Parnell Street opposite the Credit Union. Food in Pagar Gardens is nice but no atmosphere at all. A really nice restaurant is The Stonehouse, just around the corner from the railway station (when you come to the front of the station it's on your left by the off licence) The food and service here is great. Can be expensive but the early bird is amazing value.

It's a pity you don't have a car as alot of Clonmel's attractions are the surrounding mountains.The Main Guard in the middle of the town is a well restored old courthouse with a good history of the area. The county musuem near the library, post office and swimming pool has some good exhibits. It's a small town, 3 main streets. Hearns Hotel has some good memorbilia from the days of Bianconi and the stage coaches and the bar and open fire is good for a drink.

There's nice walks down by the river and in the park on the other side of the banks. You can walk the whole way to the nearest town along the old tow paths or if you're feeling lazy just to the nearest village Killsheelan. About a mile out of town is the Bulmers factory but there's no tours. In town is the old Bulmers bewery just off the quays. One lane over is also The Francisian Friary which has some 16th century cross slabs and graves within the church which are worth a look.

Aside from that we have a good multiplex and some really nice bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thanks for the tips so far folks, can you do a tour of the bulmers factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

thanks for the tips so far folks, can you do a tour of the bulmers factory?

no afraid not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

DaveJac wrote: »
    no afraid not

now there's an idea but sadly its another case of irish tourism at its best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I know a girl from up that way if it helps

Advertisement