Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radamel Falcao couldn't lace RVP's boots!

• 11-01-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

According to Paul Merson...

"The difference between Manchester United and everybody else this season has been Robin van Persie.

For me, he's the best centre-forward in world football. I wouldn't class Lionel Messi as a centre-forward and Radamel Falcao couldn't lace his boots. He plays in a completely different league and I'd like to see him come to England and score 30 or 40 goals in a season".

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,15205_8389175,00.html

What a crazy statment to make, surely nobody agreees with him? Not saying RVP isn't class though but it'd be a tight call between either imo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

paul merson is an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

RVP scored more than 30 once?

Merson is an idiot +1

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Stoke, night time, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Apart from Gary Neville, there isn't a single person on Sky who's opinion should be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

It must be Merson having a laugh, to see what response it would generate, surley to god he's not that thick/blind. I had to read it twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

redzerdrog wrote: »
    paul merson is an idiot

Possibly the biggest dope on Sky, he really shouldn't be employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How does that clown get paid good money to talk about football on TV? He's fúcking clueless! Honestly, pick a random poster on here and they probably know more than that fool.

Christ, he really does annoy me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

its true though rvp is the reason for man utd's dominance in league this year

about comparison of falcao and rvp thats up to personall preference they cant really be compared but id side with rvp myself at the moment

its true though rvp is the reason for man utd's dominance in league this year

about comparison of falcao and rvp thats up to personall preference they cant really be compared but id side with rvp myself at the moment

That's fine, but to hold an opinion that Falcao couldn't lace his boots? If Falcao came to the PL with City or Chelsea, I bet within a few weeks Merson would pretend that he has always said he was brilliant and up there with the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Probably on the sauce again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Falcao and RVP are on a similar level.

The thing about RVP being the difference is, United aren't hugely better off points wise than they were last year. RVP is the only player who has really come in, considering Kagawa's injury. He hasn't made a huge change to United but he has been the focal point and has scored the goals. I suspect we'd be doing similarly well if he wasn't at the club. Maybe not as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Every time Paul Merson speaks on television, a baby hedgehog dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Just another pundit who only watches English football.

I doubt Merson has ever seen Falcao play.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Just another pundit who only watches English football.

I doubt Merson has ever seen Falcao play.

exactly what i was tinking, i seriously doubt he has seen Falcao play 120+ mins of football, he is a moron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

the same Falcao who destroyed Chelsea in the super cup at the start of the season.? merson talks some amount of shyt to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Translation:
    RVP plays in the Premiership, Falcao doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

On current form, RVP is the better player - but that comment is just crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Michu can lace RVP's boots this season so Falcao certainly could. It's a very silly comment unless he was looking to generate this kind of reaction, in which case it was an inspired comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

On current form, Falcao wipes the floor with RVP! Merson is a sensationalist commentator who talks out his arse hole....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

On current form, Falcao wipes the floor with RVP! Merson is a sensationalist commentator who talks out his arse hole....

Oh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Falcao might well score 40 in the EPL going by the defensive standards on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Both players are playing at world class standard at the moment but the majority of English commentators and sports reporters believe the PL is head and shoulders above every other league in the world. They also believe unless a player plays with Madrid or Barcelona they need to play in the PL before they can be considered a top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Merson was probably drunk when he said that, they are the two best strikers in the world at the moment with Falcao marginally ahead.

imagine the two of them in the same team? carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

That is some horse sh*te statement. It's like the same crap that gets spouted about the EPL being such a though league and that players would struggle to keep up with the pace of it if they were to make the switch from La Liga where as in reality players such as Mata, Silva, Cazorla, Aguero, Michu, Torres and others made the switch and took the league by storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Merson was probably drunk when he said that, they are the two best strikers in the world at the moment with Falcao marginally ahead.

imagine the two of them in the same team? carnage.

it would work too RVP playing off him with Rooney lurking about.

jaysis.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

How hard can it be to find that know what they are talking about or make pundits do their homework as part of their contract

dsmythy wrote: »
    Falcao might well score 40 in the EPL going by the defensive standards on show.

If he continues at his current rate he won't fall far shy of that in La Liga this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Cienciano wrote: »
    Translation:
    RVP plays in the Premiership, Falcao doesn't.

Bingo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

justshane wrote: »

"The difference between Manchester United and everybody else this season has been Robin van Persie.

For me, he's the best centre-forward in world football. I wouldn't class Lionel Messi as a centre-forward and Radamel Falcao couldn't lace his boots. He plays in a completely different league and I'd like to see him come to England and score 30 or 40 goals in a season".

What a crazy statment to make, surely nobody agreees with him? Not saying RVP isn't class though but it'd be a tight call between either imo.
    He works for Sky, hes writing for Sky Sports website, its probably in his contract to inflate all opinions of anyhing EPL related. Id take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Ha reminds me of the time I heard a Sky pundit (forget who) claim that Cazorla was a great find by Arsenal. The lad only has 50 caps for Spain like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It's amusing because Sky has actually got the license to show the best league in the world yet they attempt to ridicule it at any given opportunity. Madness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

BASHIR wrote: »
    Ha reminds me of the time I heard a Sky pundit (forget who) claim that Cazorla was a great find by Arsenal. The lad only has 50 caps for Spain like.

Fairly sure it was John Moston that said that. Beggars belief how clueless some football pundits are.

In reality, these pundits are probably a reflection of a large portion of football fans. The only time that a lot of EPL fans see the likes of Falcao play is when he's playing against an English club in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Fairly sure it was John Moston that said that. Beggars belief how clueless some football pundits are.

In reality, these pundits are probably a reflection of a large portion of football fans. The only time that a lot of EPL fans see the likes of Falcao play is when he's playing against an English club in Europe.

Ya know what I think your right might of been match of the day.
    Still though goes to show how bad some are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

justshane wrote: »

The point where I stopped reading, didn't blink, turn away and carried on with my normal life. As someone said, Neville aside, the rest are eejits and shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

darced wrote: »

replaced mersons comments as the silliest on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

You are spot on. United got 89 points without him last year and have since lost Berba and Park, hardly crucial first team members. Not much has changed so logic dictates that they would have picked up points somewhere. They may not be 7 points clear but they'd be there or thereabouts.

You are spot on. United got 89 points without him last year and have since lost Berba and Park, hardly crucial first team members. Not much has changed so logic dictates that they would have picked up points somewhere. They may not be 7 points clear but they'd be there or thereabouts.

Hard to see how anyone could argue the point really.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Hard to see how anyone could argue the point really.

I'm sure you and Dub would find a way :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im hoping we see falcao in the epl next season, just to watch him wreak havoc to any defense. Imo he iis close to RVP, but hard to judge in a different league. But Im sure if he came to the EPL he would easily keep up with persie. Probably the two best out and out strikers in Europe either way

RvP is peaking now, he's 30 next bday.

Falcao is 27 next bday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rarnes1 wrote: »
    RvP is peaking now, he's 30 next bday.

Falcao is 27 next bday.

He would have peaked long ago only for injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I would make the argument that United have been absolute turd this year in most games, and defensively all over the place. Performance level has been so much worse than last year, leaving Van Persie to make up the difference. Rooney couldn't have bailed out United this season the way Van Persie has.

L'prof wrote: »

He would have peaked long ago only for injuries.

Yeah probably true alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Somebody should strap merson to a chair and force him to watch the athleti-deportovo game from a few weeks ago where falcao scored 5 of athletis 6, it was absolute bliss watching him that night and any other time to be fair, and his goal against barca, sweet jesus! Both are easily the 2 best number 9s on the planet, merson you just went full retard son,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2 best strikers on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

2 best strikers on the planet.

Very little to call between them. Each has qualities the other doesn't have. Both are quality.

I totally disagree that United would be where they are or close to where they are without RVP this season. United have started leaking an alarming amount of goals this season (far more than last) yet stay at the top of the pile due to their attack. RVP is the centre of that attack.

Also United have scored a ridiculously high 17 goals from set-pieces this season, far more than any other team in the league. The average is about 7. I'm not sure how many are a direct result of RVP, but his delivery from corners is quality and he carries a set-piece threat too.

I imagine United would be about 6 or 7 points worse off with no RVP this year, although it's really hard to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

There's only one way to settle an comment/argument like that

Mrs. Falcao ......................................................... .................................................................................. Mrs. Van Persie

natalia-velez-13-d.jpg Vs. Bouchra_van_Persie.jpg

Eden Hazard only thought Javi Garcia had it good :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement