Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a website

Options
  • 11-01-2013 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a website - I have registered a domain and procured hosting. I'm using NVU for webpage editing. I published to the FTP. It is showing up on the server folder but I can't view anything except for the domain name on the website.

What am I doing wrong? I'm really new to all this so appreciate any help.

Thanks - J x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Probably something got to do with the file library....
    I'm no expert... On my hosting all my pages were within a folder /web in the FTP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

If you upload to location ftp.mywebsite.com/publicfolder I think you need to have index.html visible inside that folder and not inside another folder there i.e.

ftp.mywebsite.com/publicfolder/index.html

NOT

ftp.mywebsite.com/publicfolder/mywebfiles/index.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

As Firblog says above, all servers will look for a file called index.html/htm/php/asp/jsp etc. depending on if you are using a scripting language or now. index defines a "main page" or homepage to the web server. You should upload your html documents to the htdocs folder if on apache, or wwwroot if on iis. Your web host may have a configuration like ./htdocs/www.domain.com/ so you would put your index and other html files in the "www.domain.com" folder. Then accessing your site should show the homepage. (if you have any content in the domain folder like an index.php or any other kind of placeholder, delete then before uploading your site), if not just place them in the htdocs folder. you may need to configure your hosting settings from the control panel (although I imagine it will have been pre-configured)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

1. On shared web-space, there is usually a public_html or www folder into which internet readable files are to be placed. This becomes the root of your site as far as visitors can see.
    If you can provide the company from whom you purchased the webspace then someone might know precisely what their setup is.

2. within this folder, there is probably a .htaccess file automatically created by your hosting provider which provides the name of the default page served. Usually this will be index.htm.

So just look for an existing index.htm file in your space using your ftp client, and that is probably where the files need to go.

Advertisement