Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question On Dinasours

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

This is very simple.

A reason that there is no mention of dinasaurs in the quran is that when the men who wrote/put together/compiled the quran in or around the 8/9th century who lived in or around Palestine/Jordan probably did not have any knowledge about dinasaurs.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hitchhiker42

iba wrote: »
    This is very simple.

A reason that there is no mention of dinasaurs in the quran is that when the men who wrote/put together/compiled the quran in or around the 8/9th century who lived in or around Palestine/Jordan probably did not have any knowledge about dinasaurs.

Regards

Riiiiight.... I'm guessing you didn't catch the subtle sarcasm inherent in my question, but thanks for the polite reply.

Speaking of people living in the 8th century, they also probably didn't have any knowledge about distant galaxies, nuclear fission, the periodic table, electrical engineering or microbiology. However modern religious individuals have no problem believing in:
    * the Hubble telescope
    * Du Pont Corporation
    * light bulbs
    * the need for antibiotics & hand sanitizer.

So why people need to ask, "Should we believe in dinosaurs?" is beyond me, especially when they are willing to believe in so many other things discovered through the scientific method. Religious fundamentalists are willing to accept quantum field theory and the existence of subatomic particles, but somehow *dinosaurs* are a tough concept to fathom? Really?

That's what I don't get. Why dinosaurs? People are willing to ignore much more difficult scientific theories and concepts (you don't hear priests & Imams complaining on about String Theory) but they have this weird hangup with lizards. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Riiiiight.... I'm guessing you didn't catch the subtle sarcasm inherent in my question, but thanks for the polite reply.

Speaking of people living in the 8th century, they also probably didn't have any knowledge about distant galaxies, nuclear fission, the periodic table, electrical engineering or microbiology. However modern religious individuals have no problem believing in:
    * the Hubble telescope
    * Du Pont Corporation
    * light bulbs
    * the need for antibiotics & hand sanitizer.

So why people need to ask, "Should we believe in dinosaurs?" is beyond me, especially when they are willing to believe in so many other things discovered through the scientific method. Religious fundamentalists are willing to accept quantum field theory and the existence of subatomic particles, but somehow *dinosaurs* are a tough concept to fathom? Really?

That's what I don't get. Why dinosaurs? People are willing to ignore much more difficult scientific theories and concepts (you don't hear priests & Imams complaining on about String Theory) but they have this weird hangup with lizards. Go figure.

Hi Hitchiker,

I was not referring to your post whatsoever - if I was referring to your post I would have quoted it (like Im doing now). My post was a general post to the thread.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I suspect that it's not dinosaurs in themselves that cause some followers of revealed religions problems but what a belief in the conventional scientific understanding of dinosaurs might imply.

The first of these is the age of the earth and/or the universe - accepting the existence of dinosaurs as a life form some 70-200 million years ago makes it impossible to hold to a "young earth" view that the world was created around 6,000 years ago. Such a view tends to be associated with Christian fundamentalists and is less common among Muslims.

The second is evolution - belief in dinosaurs tends to go with belief in evolution and rejection of creationist accounts. As I note in an earlier post, Muslims tend to accept a "theistic" account of evolution, although many make an exception for humans, who are considered to have been directly created by God.

Advertisement