Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Money To Canada?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys how are you getting your money to Canada? or how did ye do it in the past? i don't fancy bringing $5K with me in my wallet especially staying at a youth hostel for the first couple of nights:D. anyone bring cheque's? or if transferring money from an Irish account how long would this take?:D Was thinking of of bringing maybe 1k and trying to transfer the rest:D but than again would this be enough to survive till my money came through:rolleyes:
    Thanks Ross:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Spiderlfc

Just bring your bank card, will work no bother over here along as it's Maestro, Cirrus

Takes a bit of time to set up an account so using your Irish one is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Cheers mate:)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Didn't know you could do that either, cheers.

Yea i checked ulster bank who i am with. and they said they charge a transaction fee wonder what kind of money that would be:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I have the UlsterBank debit card. The Visa one with the chip and pin and that dosn't work everywhere, only some ATMs and even fewer POSs.

I think its $1.50 per transaction.

Once you have an address and SIN you can set up your bank account in a day, cards and everything just be sure you tell them your staying in the hostel for the next few months or have your permenent address.

The trouble is getting your Irish bank balance over, theres going to be a time when you won't be able to access that money as your canadian bank won't clear it. If you lodge cash it will clear straight away, a canadian cheque (maybe a travellers cheque???) can take up to 5 working days, an Irish cheque up to a month. Maybe do it in 2 halfs?

• Advertisement

What are the chances that's the card i have great. I suppose i am just going to bring maybe 1k with me then transfer 2k then when that has cleared transfer my remaining money in my Irish account. at least if it takes longer then expected on my first transfer i can always use my Irish card to get money:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

You could always get someone in Ireland to Western Union the money to you in instalments - it's an extremely fast service.

Have looked in to western union seems the best bet will have the money in minutes and theres only a charge of 20 euro:)
    Cheers Mrs McSweeney:P

• Registered Users Posts: 41 emec

Most bank cards work in bank machines here as far as I know. They wont work in shops and stuff unless they are visa debit.

We used our cards here for first few weeks. Got charged around $10 per withdrawal - the banks here charge you for using their machines as well as your own bank!

There is also a maximum daily withdrawal set by your own bank, think it was $500 for us. (Bank of Ireland)

We set up our bank accounts using the hotel address, there was no problem doing that. We had our SIN numbers. (this took 15 minutes to get, also used hotel address)

We transferred money using banking online, it only cost €5 per transaction with bank of Ireland, max of €3000 a time.
    Very easy to do! Think it took 3 working days to clear so very handy to get the bulk of your money over..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

emec wrote: »
    Most bank cards work in bank machines here as far as I know. They wont work in shops and stuff unless they are visa debit

My Ulsterbank visa debit card has been refused in every restaurant/shop I tried to use it in. It only works in the larger bank's atms. I've used it the odd time for online purchases because HSBC won't allow us apply for credit cards until we've been with them 3 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement