Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WordPress, how & where do the homepge photos reside

Options
  • 11-01-2013 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi There ,

I hope someone can help here. I have a website using a 'teampro' theme running on wordpress 3.x.
    I have 8 images using the slideshow function on my front page. All I want to know is where these images are located. I have a strange directory structure as follows webspace/siteapps/34252/htdocs/wp-content/themes/teampro
    Is there a location that the home images that are used for a slideshow must reside in or what? I can locate the images for the galleries ok but cannot seem to locate the ones for the homepage. I am aware I have to FTP these , I remember the designer saying this to me.
    Thanks a lot for that

Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

The folder /webspace/siteapps/34252/htdocs/ is the document root for your website. All publicly accessible files reside there.

In Wordpress images are uploaded to wp-content/uploads. The exact location depends on Wordpress upload settings and on the slideshow software. You should be able to use the Wordpress media uploader to upload images. That should be easier than using FTP.

Check the theme settings for exact instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Thanks a lot for that , I'll have to go check. Diden't know that it was possible to upload rather than ftp with regard to the home page slideshow. I'll give it a go.
    Thanks again

Rich

Hi There

Ok, well I'm able to upload files and photos etc but I need one bit of information which is driving me more frustrated the more time I spend on it. I see the location of my 8 images that are being displayed when I actually 'right click' on the image on the site home page. It tells me its in the themes/teampro/images and then gives slider no. from 1 to 8. Great. When I go to the actual location via the website provider I dont see any sign of them??? Are they hidden.
    ALL I simply want to do is know the location of these images and change them for some new ones. So If I cant locate them how do I even do this. I cant believe I'm spending this much time on something that should be simple....HELP..!!!

It all depends on the slider. There should be documentation with the theme telling you how to change the slider images. It is a commercial theme (isn't it?) so support should be available.

If you post a link to the website I can see where the images are. However that will not necessarily tell you how to change the images. Don't simply FTP images to the theme folder. When the theme is updated your customisations will be overwritten.

Thanks for that, www.richardkillianwoodwork.com is the link

• Advertisement

Well, the images are in /wp-content/themes/teampro/images/.

The quick and dirty way to change the images is to upload new ones overwriting the old ones. However there must be a better way of customising this theme.

If you do upload images to the theme folder you will have to redo all your edits every time the theme is updated.

If you can't find the "proper" way of doing things, then you should consider hiring someone to do it for you. The amount of work required is very small - an hour tops at a guess.

Unfortunately without seeing the wp-admin interface for the theme I can tell you specifically how to accomplish what you are looking to do.

Thanks,

I don't know the full 'ins & outs' of wp as I just havent had the time to read up on it. I did think it might be easier than this. I'm not all that sure of whats possible with wp , can one for instance just change themes without loosing all the information in the website? I don't understand that?
    I haven't had the time either to read up on web sites and the difference between 'htdocs' and .ph extensions. That's about 1 weeks worth of reading to me, and although I would love to do it and well capable of it, I just cant justify the time for some small web site I want to keep going as a woodwork hobby. So I guess I need a quick crash guide...lol.
    Ok, but getting back to the photos being stored in images....I do remember that this was indeed the place they went. I just cant see any reference to them. I wonder do I need to look using filezilla , I may try that. Anyway, the guy who did it also said he used a package called 'gimp' free photo editing . Do the names of the jpg's tat get loaded into the images folder keep the name , there's a load of other small files with .ph extensions, whatever they are.

Hi,

My hunch was correct. I have to FTP into the images section under themes in order to see my images. Mad, I cant see them if I go in via my web provider, I have to use filezilla.
    So its clear as mud now...:)

richiek67 wrote: »
    can one for instance just change themes without loosing all the information in the website? I don't understand that?
    Yes you can.
    I haven't had the time either to read up on web sites and the difference between 'htdocs' and .ph extensions... ...I just cant justify the time for some small web site... ...Do the names of the jpg's tat get loaded into the images folder keep the name , there's a load of other small files with .ph extensions, whatever they are.
    Well, there is a small learning curve, but for a Wordpress user you should not need to concern yourself with these details.
    A well designed theme shouldn't require the use of Filezilla.
    I'm afraid (as with everything) you need to do a little RTFM'ing, especially if you are unfamiliar with the technologies.
    I have to FTP into the images section under themes in order to see my images. Mad, I cant see them if I go in via my web provider
    FTP is a standard protocol, so you would expect to see your files. The web providers interface is not. Again it is difficult to tell exactly what is going on from your description. I'm glad you got sorted though.

Thanks for the other information by the way, got the site sorted,

Cheers

Rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm not sure if it is related to the OP's issue but I found that with my current Wordpress 3.5 project I had to change permissions for the uploads folder to see the images. I don't develop in WP so perhaps everybody knows this already :)

Advertisement