Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing question!

• 11-01-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I need to remove this valve from the qualplex pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5edkkghjlxu9jl/2013-01-11%2021.46.28.jpg

Firstly, I assume I need to drain all the water out into a bucket from here by opening the valve?

Do I need to have the other rads closed or open before I do it?

Also should I turn off the water to the boiler?

Then when I refill the system is there anything special I need to do?

Then is it possible to replace the valves on those plastic pipes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

quarryman wrote: »

Firstly, I assume I need to drain all the water out into a bucket from here by opening the valve?

What's wrong with valve why change it
    You need to drain the complete heating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Qualpex crimping tool. Woodies. About 10 quid. Very handy. And no need to drain the system.

Question remains, why change the fitting. Faulty ? Or fitting a TRV perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

dodzy wrote: »
    Qualpex crimping tool. Woodies. About 10 quid. Very handy. And no need to drain the system.

Question remains, why change the fitting. Faulty ? Or fitting a TRV perhaps?

I need to remove the valve to thread the pipe back through the board and relocate.

I'll have to look at this crimping tool but how do I remove the valve without draining down the system and water going everywhere?

I need to remove the valve to thread the pipe back through the board and relocate.

I'll have to look at this crimping tool but how do I remove the valve without draining down the system and water going everywhere?
    The tool I am referring to will not allow you to thread the qualpex back through the board unfortunately. Unless you can access the underside of the floorboard and fit the crimp there. It consists of 2 small metal blocks which are placed on each side of the pipe. The 2 blocks are then joined by 2 x M6 bolts which when tightened, will close the 2 parts together ( basically a clamp ) thus stopping the flow of water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Very simple turn off all the rads tight turn off water going to the system then you are just draining the pipes going to that rad fitting.
    Move the pipes refit turn on the water and bleed the system should only take an hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

I would cut the pipe with a rachet cutter and slam on a blank. There will be a bit of water but if you're fast it won't be much. Is that rad upstairs or downstairs?

Tectite_Push_Fit_4cd3d6dfaf394_120x120.jpg

Looking at your picture, and what you need to do, the floorboard will most likely need to be lifted. If that's the case, then that crimp tool will work, as long as your new location is centre of the floorboard joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ok job done. Thanks for all the help.

I did the following:
    1. Turned off all the rads, both sides.
    2. Opened up the valve pictured and drained what was there. Very little came out, I realized it was the out-take not the intake (so less water I'm guessing?).
    3. Disconnected the qualpex at a point about 3 feet back under the floorboards.
    4. Discovered that the nut was on the inside of the olive connection so I couldn't thread it back through the narrow hole in the floorboards. Cut the qualpex from behind olive connection.
    5. Pulled the pipe out.
    6. Drilled new holes to new location in floorboards.
    7. Removed the "ferrule" from the old qpex connection (the part that stops the qpex from getting crushed when it is compressed by the nut).
    8. Threaded pipe back and reconnected it to the qpex again.
    9. Turned the rads back on
    10. Added water back the system (had lost very little since the rads had been off).
    11. Turned the heating back on and all seems well.

However since there is no rad on the pipes yet this part is not getting much pressure. I'll need to keep an eye out for leaks when the rad is added.

For the poster that asked, this was upstairs. Made life easier for draining, less water to worry about.

Advertisement