Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which iPad To Purchase?

• 11-01-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be getting an iPad soon but at the minute I'm stuck on which one to get?

I don't want to get the iPad Mini, but is it worth paying the extra €100 + to get the retina display iPad over the iPad 2?

16GB is fine for me and I don't need 3G, WiFi is perfect, so it looks like my decision is whether to pay €400 for the 16GB iPad 2, or €509 for the 16GB retina display?

Prices are from the Apple Store, but are they cheaper elsewhere, in stores for example?

Also, I'll need to get a case for it. Are the smart cases on the Apple website fine to do the job or am I better off looking at something else? Any recommendations?

Cheers for any advice :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Do you know anybody going to the US?

The prices are pretty much the same across all platforms, online, stores, direct from apple etc

I got mine in the Powercity sales for €484 though, so keep an eye out for sales.

iPad 2 is a fantastic piece of kit but the retine display is very nice on the 4th Gen, also the increased power of the newer chip makes it worthwhile, but heres a spanner to throw to you.

If you dont want to spend the €110 more for the 4th Gen, you can get the 3rd Gen for €460 and that has retina display - http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-34&cat=TV,%20DVD,%20Camera,%20Laptop,iPad&action=brandstory

Smart cases are great too, they auto put the ipads to sleep etc, i got mine on adverts and theres many there for half the apple price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kceire wrote: »
    Do you know anybody going to the US?

The prices are pretty much the same across all platforms, online, stores, direct from apple etc

I got mine in the Powercity sales for €484 though, so keep an eye out for sales.

iPad 2 is a fantastic piece of kit but the retine display is very nice on the 4th Gen, also the increased power of the newer chip makes it worthwhile, but heres a spanner to throw to you.

If you dont want to spend the €110 more for the 4th Gen, you can get the 3rd Gen for €460 and that has retina display - http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-34&cat=TV,%20DVD,%20Camera,%20Laptop,iPad&action=brandstory

Smart cases are great too, they auto put the ipads to sleep etc, i got mine on adverts and theres many there for half the apple price.

Much appreciated response, cheers :)

I thought the 3rd Gen ones had been discontinued so had given up all hope of picking one of them up really, that with the retina display for that price would be very tempting.

Is there much of a difference between the 2nd gen and 3rd gen iPads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

It might be worth your while buying an iPad 3 or 4 alright.

I know that Siri is not available for the iPad 2, you can only get it on the iPad 3 and 4.

There may also be other apps that need the extra grunt of the iPad 3/4.

You're definitely future proofing yourself more by avoiding the iPad 2.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I had an iPad 2, sold it and got a mini!

Much easier to carry the mini around, that was my problem with the big iPad, too awkward to carry about the place. I personally don't think you should totally rule it out as a choice! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement