Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Forum Awards 2012 - New Band of the Year

Options
  • 12-01-2013 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

And the winner, by a landside, is:

Storm Corrosion!

The super duo of Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt and Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson released their first, self titled, album Storm Corrosion in May 2012.

As a massive fan of both Opeth and PT, I was super excited about Storm Corrosion, and I was not disappointed. They managed to create something different from their other projects, and even though I was expecting it to be... interesting... I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

Here's my favourite track from the album, Ljudet Innan

Did you vote for Storm Corrosion? Tell us why!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Like you, I was keen to hear what this collaboration would sound like, and I wasn't disappointed. I like how the album is difficult to categorise, it doesn't sound like Porcupine Tree or Opeth, its experimental disposition makes it an unusual, but rewarding listen. My favourite tracks are Storm Corrosion and Ljudet Innan.

I love the drawn out nature of Ljudet Innan, it couldn't be more laid-back, and I picture these two heavy weights of the rock and metal world, in Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt, passing a joint back and forth as they compile this tune in a free-flowing fashion (but that's just my imagination). I'd compare it to when Maynard James Keenan and Chino Moreno collaborated on Deftones' song Passenger; two greats recorded in the same place at the same time, for a quality song.

Any other thoughts?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Another fan of both bands, and had every confidence they could produce something with a different sound from their previous work that was just as good. As far as I'm concerned they delivered. Fantastic album to sit back and chill to, one I keep going back to listen to.

Only downside is it's unlikely they'll tour with it, may not even release another album.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement