Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Forum Awards 2012 - Song of the Year

Options
  • 12-01-2013 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

And the winner is:

State of Non-Return by Om

State of Non-Return beat of it's contenders with a whopping two votes :P
    Again, this was a fairly spread out category. Thanks to all who voted.

Did you vote for Om? Tell us why!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I was one of the two that voted for this.:p

I actually wanted to vote Advaitic Songs as one of my albums of the year but it doesn't really fit into either the rock or metal category.

But, I just love this song. Kinda the prefect balance between the Om of old, still with Chris on the drums, and the new Om that's kind of leaning more towards a world music style, dropping some of their old drone style. But, this song, I think, mixes that old drone style with the new style brilliantly. Still kicking myself that I missed out on their gig in the Button factory in September.

Also, I prefer this fan music video for the song rather than the official video:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I was the other voter!

There's no doubt that State of Non-Return was my song of last year. For one thing, I listened to it most days as background music to a set of push-ups, but seeing them perform it live in The Button Factory last September was a special moment, the entire album was great live, it was one of the most enjoyable gigs I've been to. It's a shame that you were unable to make it Knifey Spoony; it was you who got me into Om when you first posted about them in the 'Now Listening to' thread.

As regards the song itself, I really like the drumming, and as with all Om tracks, it has a knack of taking me out of a logical thought process because the lyrics he's singing don't reasonably fit together and he sings them in a tranced and monotone way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I listened to it while going through stuff for the awards, could definitely see myself getting into them.

I'll have to give the album a listen. Interesting what you were saying Knifey about it having a bit more of a world music sound as they progressed. Definitely something a bit different to try out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I listened to it while going through stuff for the awards, could definitely see myself getting into them.

I'll have to give the album a listen. Interesting what you were saying Knifey about it having a bit more of a world music sound as they progressed. Definitely something a bit different to try out

Yeah, they were never really overtly world music before they switched drummers, they would have been classed as more drone with hints of a eastern influence coming out in Al's bass playing and the very spiritual based lyrics. Kind of like in this song:

But, in the last two albums they have gotten used to having different instruments in their songs, cutting back on the bass distortion and really turning up that world music vibe.

Advertisement