Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The massive return of David Bowie

Options
  • 12-01-2013 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

One of the greatest people to ever grace the music scene with his sheer genius, Bowie had gone off the radar for almost 10 years music wise, and out of nowhere pops back up with, what i've come to describe as, the best song he's ever recorded, Where Are We Now , from his March released new album The Next Day. I never believed that his cover version of Wild Is The Wind could be bettered for me, but this new track has done it. It must have, i don't have a playlist on my mp3 player filled with an hour's worth of Wild Is The Wind. I think it's fantastic that a 66 year old man who's been absent from the music scene for 10 years can come back suddenly and within a few hours, tops the iTunes chart with not only his new single, but his new album's preorder, in no less than 6 countries and top 5 in at least another 20. With legends like Bowie returning with a bang, i can only fear for the new bloods trying to make it, they don't stand much of a chance.

As well as my love for the song, i also adore the video that comes with it, right down to it's onscreen lyrics, it's a wonderful video.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

for such a big fan you seem to be about a week late. There's already a thread about this.

And the new song is nothing spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

lordgoat wrote: »
    for such a big fan you seem to be about a week late. There's already a thread about this.

Agreed, i'm a huge Bowie fan but..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

lordgoat wrote: »

Twitter had the benefit of my rant on Bowie's birthday, i only started posting here again last night.

Each to their own i guess, but i adore it. A moving, gorgeous, original song with lyrics i both don't understand and completely understand. And the U2 sound only serves to add another dimension to it, i'd swear Edge is playing lead guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    Twitter had the benefit of my rant on Bowie's birthday, i only started posting here again last night.

Each to their own i guess, but i adore it. A moving, gorgeous, original song with lyrics i both don't understand and completely understand. And the U2 sound only serves to add another dimension to it, i'd swear Edge is playing lad guitar.

U2 & Bowie in the same sentence:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is Bowie really that big outside of this hardcore support?

I like to think I like a good range of music, and I don't think Bowie has released anything good in a long, long time. Also don't think this single is as great as many are saying.

Of course all his fans will say he's a genius and this song is great but is it really if you looked at it from a slightly more neutral point of view?

For me he is the male equivalent of Kate Bush.

• Advertisement

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    U2 & Bowie in the same sentence:eek:

Yeah, total shock, not as if Bowie ever worked with Brian Eno or anything...

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is Bowie really that big outside of this hardcore support?

I like to think I like a good range of music, and I don't think Bowie has released anything good in a long, long time. Also don't think this single is as great as many are saying.

Of course all his fans will say he's a genius and this song is great but is it really if you looked at it from a slightly more neutral point of view?

For me he is the male equivalent of Kate Bush.

Bowie is the male Kate Bush ?

Bowie hasn't released anything good in a long, long time? (Like, 10 years maybe?).

His fans will say he's a genius? Is that not why he has fans?

On a sidenote, from any point of view, that song is a work of art. Even if i hated Bowie, i'd love that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    Bowie is the male Kate Bush ?

Bowie hasn't released anything good in a long, long time? (Like, 10 years maybe?).

His fans will say he's a genius? Is that not why he has fans?

On a sidenote, from any point of view, that song is a work of art. Even if i hated Bowie, i'd love that song.

I would go with you some of the way. I think it is a very good song - a quite haunting, not to mention melancholic and wistful, ballad. It is a surprising yet brilliant comeback single. Where I would disagree with you is on the question of whether or not it is the best Bowie song ever. It is not, in my opinion. (Don't ask me which one is!) It could well fit into the Top 20 Bowie songs of all time alright.

In relation to the video, I am in two minds about its atmosphere and the faces superimposed on puppets. I do like the way it shows the lyrics - I now know he's not saying "Jungle"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Its a lovely, haunting song. Very melancholic.

Reminds me of the Film Wings of Desire for some reason.

Advertisement