Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Illustrious Red Light Issue - Eircom

• 12-01-2013 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have no idea what I can do. I have tried everything that I could think of and it's still showing that feckin red light.

Things I have tried: Disconnecting every cable from the router whilst off, then connecting them all back in. Nothing.
    Changed ends of the phone line, connected the end that goes into the DSL splitter into the router and vice versa. Still nothing.
    Tried both ends of the phone line wire plugged directly to the line without the splitter. Nothing, once again.
    Used another phone cable, to which I tried all of the above methods, and would you guess it? Nothing.

I'm watching my sisters house whilst she's away watching her pets, and I stream everything through Sky Go and Netflix, so I'm fairly screwed without internet. I don't think it is a problem with the exchange as I have texted a few people in the area who are connected to the same exchange, and they seem to be having no problems whatsoever.

PS. with the first cable, I was receiving the normal speed, something like 8000+/512 (don't have exact figures) but on the line I'm currently using it's displaying only 192/128 if that's any use.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PutureFrospect

Now it has progressed to the DSL blinking, and no light whatsoever under the internet light. I take it that has happened due to me tinkering around?

All this because a cat knocked the router over causing the power cable to fall out. :rolleyes:

EDIT before I hit the hay: Left it off for about an hour, now it's back to showing the DSL as a solid solid green, with the internet displaying a red light. Mickey mouse games at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Ask the Eircom reps. here: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Try a different router from a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Your router probably got damaged with the fall, try another one.

I've tried the same, possibly damaged router on a different line, in a different house and it's working fine (green light). :(

Don't have another one of those routers, how does it working getting a replacement one? Contact eircom, pay a fee and they post it out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Can you still log into the router? What are the line stats and sync state?

Spear wrote: »
    Can you still log into the router? What are the line stats and sync state?

All sorted now, but yes I could log in to the netopia settings. Slightly embarrassing reason as to why it was displaying a red light - the account has been overdue since August. :rolleyes: And that's why I always pay via direct debit.

Now onto another problem, the router is saying the dl/ul is 1376/160, it should be in the 8000/512kbps range, any ideas how I can get the speed back to normal?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Now onto another problem, the router is saying the dl/ul is 1376/160, it should be in the 8000/512kbps range, any ideas how I can get the speed back to normal?

We'll need line stats for that part then.

We'll need line stats for that part then.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Fast

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1344 160
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 7.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 58.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 223 1

Are they the right stats?

EDIT: Refreshed the settings and now I'm getting this.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Fast

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1248 160
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 6.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 59.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 24 2

The stats are pretty bad. Are you absolutely sure you had 8 megs before?

• Advertisement

The stats are pretty bad. Are you absolutely sure you had 8 megs before?

Absolutely positive. It's the first thing I checked when I first logged into this network. I could stream Netflix/Sky Go perfectly before it was disconnected, now there's no hope of having it buffer for more than about 2s, and in low quality. Is there anything I can do? The stats keep changing constantly. :confused:

Currently:
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1184 160
    SN Margin (dB) 6.50 6.00
    CRC Errors 1034 12

Restarted it once again and get these figures.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1120 160
    SN Margin (dB) 6.50 6.00
    CRC Errors 100 2

Restarted it once again and get these figures.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1120 160
    SN Margin (dB) 6.50 6.00
    CRC Errors 100 2

The stats will fluctuate slightly since they're at the limit of yours lines ability it seems. There's a few possibilities, maybe the modem was damaged, or the phone line/socket. Or something has happened to your line to the exchange. Was the line physically disconnected at the exchange for non-payment? Can you hear crackling on a handset?

The stats will fluctuate slightly since they're at the limit of yours lines ability it seems. There's a few possibilities, maybe the modem was damaged, or the phone line/socket. Or something has happened to your line to the exchange. Was the line physically disconnected at the exchange for non-payment? Can you hear crackling on a handset?

Definitely not the modem. I tried that on a different connection and it was getting full speeds. It could possibly be the socket perhaps, how can I check? Or do I just have to call eircom and get an engineer out? Perhaps they have throttled the connection?

One phone cable I had in (the original one that used to get over 8000kbps) kept getting a DNS error whenever I requested a web page. But when idle it was fine. I have another one in now, and nothing of the sort is happening so far.

We don't use a landline unfortunately, so there is no phone, is there any other way to find out if the line has been tampered at the exchange?

EDIT: The new line is now getting fractionally faster now at 1440/192. It wouldn't go past 1342/180 on the other line. :confused:

PS. when I say line, I mean the white cable that connects to the DSL/Phone splitter thing and the modem itself.

It sounds like an Eircom callout will be needed, but they tend to demand evidence in the form of line crackling before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 iPanda

Don't mean to hijack, but over the weekend, my speed dropped a few hundred and hasn't gone back up since.

It used to be aprox:
    Speed : 11000 kbps / 670 kbps

but now
    Speed : 7941 kbps / 670 kbps

It's not a huge difference but enough to notice. Could this be on Eircom's end or is it likely a hardware/connection issue on my end?

iPanda wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack, but over the weekend, my speed dropped a few hundred and hasn't gone back up since.

It used to be aprox:
    Speed : 11000 kbps / 670 kbps

but now
    Speed : 7941 kbps / 670 kbps

It's not a huge difference but enough to notice. Could this be on Eircom's end or is it likely a hardware/connection issue on my end?

You dropped by 3 megs. But as always line stats first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 iPanda

This has coincided with the entire network disconnecting after 20 minutes of online gaming. :/

DSL Mode : ADSL2PLUS
    Speed : 8271 kbps / 670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up) : 33.8 dB / 19.4 dB
    DSL Noise Margin : 6.1 dB / 18.5 dB

Bump. Rang Eircom yesterday and they're sending an engineer out sometime today or tomorrow, they said. I was just inspecting it closely moments ago, and there's a little box that the DSL/phone splitter is connected to, with these characters on the top of it:
    5 2 1 -- 4 5 3
    E1 R L2 -- L1 R L2

The lettered ones are directly below those with just numbers, and there's these peculiar type of pins coming out from just above the characters. There is one blue wire (that came from a cut open cable), connected solely to 5 E1, could that be where the problem lies?

Sorry if it's all over the place, it's not easy to type this out on my phone.

On the second page now... Bump!

• Advertisement
Advertisement