Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cava Staff Put on Protective Notice :( Could be closed in 2 weeks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I don't know the inner details of this situation. (Although I've only been here since 2007, and I think I have a vague memory of Cava opening sometime since then - could be mistaken though.)

However anyone who thinks that landlords can just sit back and watch the cash flow in has clearly never managed property.

During the worst recession, when companies just weren't hiring for my kind of IT job, I did a lot of temping gigs. Looking back, almost all of them involved some sort of property management - not the sexy up-front development, but the boring long-haul operations / maintenance in some way or another. (Issing parking permits, reception for shared offices, admin for a housing association, filing for a property-lender, etc). These people would not have needed me if they did not have things to do. And they most certainly would not have been hiring if the work could have been left un-done.
    My own comments have been coming from the perspective of professional experience in this area as well and, while I don't disagree with what you are saying, I think it is only of limited relevance to this example. Sure managing a residential development is hands on and running a shared office compex is a business that has more in common with the tenants in this example than the landlord. I think it's fair to say that the type of restaurant lease in place for Cava or any similar business in Galway is going to require minimum day to day involvement by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

The was some hipster place in Dublin, "Shebeen Chic" ?, that had the same complaint. The did not want to pay the rent and the landlord wanted them out. I remember the staff had a sit-in for a while, and they got a lot of media attention for some time as well, but I am certain that the business man left the premises. As someone who has an indirect involvement in a hospitality business that rents its premises on a short enough lease I understand a lot of the problems that the renter faces.
    Hopefully rents both commercial and residential might come down to sustainable levels in Ireland soon, and we might then then have a better society in which to do business and live in. What is very sad, and indeed fairly nasty to see, is the tendency of business owners to use their workers (often on modest pay) as a bargaining chip in their dealings with their landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd love to know the rent they are paying down there. I'll bet its damn all and they are trying to get it even lower at the 5 year break/review.
    They make a fortune there already, some tenants can be right asses too, not paying rent etc. What if it was a family member who owned the building and if they didnt get the rent owed, they would loose their home. Happening all over ireland folks. That building would be filled in no time by someone else, busy area of town now, rents are on the up down there I'd say.

Believe me. Very few restaurants make a "fortune".

People see a relatively busy restaurant and assume it's a goldmine. What they don't see is that a restaurant is very expensive to operate once you take in all the overheads and running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I really hope this is resolved. I went to Cava for a 'special occasion' meal last Friday night and had no idea this stuff was going on behind the scenes. The service was as friendly, and the food as delicious, as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

wonder88 wrote: »
    Hopefully rents both commercial and residential might come down to sustainable levels in Ireland soon

I can tell you one thing for certain and that is residential rents in Galway City will not be coming down in 2013. (The same could be probably said for the rest of the country, but I will only speak on an area I have experience of) Maybe in the long run when credit becomes available again for people to purchase units we will see rents come down, but at the minute, demand for (decent) residential units in Galway City is at an all time high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

They've just confirmed... :(
    Cava will close on the 25th of January. We want to thank all our customers, staff and suppliers who have made the last five years possible.

https://www.facebook.com/CavaTapasBar/posts/10151282031807949

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

This is a real shame. A lovely place to eat, a big loss to the area.

Hopefully they can relocate.

Also, and i don't know the details but, IF this is as a result of stubborn landlord greed then i hope it sends out a message. Business can't survive in 2013 paying 2007 type rent.

Do we want a vibrant town that can thrive and grow into the future, or do we want to slowly strangle ourselves for a few extra short term pence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

So sad to hear this.

Doubt there's any chance of getting a table between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

McTigs wrote: »
    This is a real shame. A lovely place to eat, a big loss to the area.

Hopefully they can relocate.

Also, and i don't know the details but, IF this is as a result of stubborn landlord greed then i hope it sends out a message. Business can't survive in 2013 paying 2007 type rent.

Do we want a vibrant town that can thrive and grow into the future, or do we want to slowly strangle ourselves for a few extra short term pence?

Perhaps the tenants were being greedy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah those greedy tenants, not wanting to pay more than their already very high rent despite the fact that the country is in the **** economically, their overheads are rising every day and they employ 28 people.

*shakes fist*

• Advertisement

I doubt it

They are restaurateurs, it's what they do and now if they want to do it they have to find a new location and go to all the very considerable direct and associated costs and effort to open again. It's the absolute last thing they would want to do and if they could have been viable on the landlords terms they would have stayed and paid.

Clearly they couldn't

It's very hard to draw that conclusion at this stage. If it was possible to pay the rent being asked and still make money then, if the tenants were being greedy, you would expect them to just grit their teeth, pay the new rent and get on with it. That fact that they are pulling the plug suggests that is not the case.

It's very hard to draw that conclusion at this stage. If it was possible to pay the rent being asked and still make money then, if the tenants were being greedy, you would expect them to just grit their teeth, pay the new rent and get on with it. That fact that they are pulling the plug suggests that is not the case.

Well pretty much everyone on this thread seems to have jumped to the conclusion that the landlord was being greedy.

Well pretty much everyone on this thread seems to have jumped to the conclusion that the landlord was being greedy.
    With very good reason because at this stage that is what the evidence available suggests. When you've got (arguably) the most successful restaurateurs in Galway voting with their feet and saying they cannot run a successful business at that premises at the rent being asked then the obvious conclusion is that the rent being asked is higher than the market can bear. Whether it is the landlord making that call or whether, as someone suggested earlier, it is the landlord's bank is the only real mystery at this stage.

I wouldn't say "jumped" to the conclusion.

But in these instances, the tennant is the one with a lot more to lose by the negotiations not working out. They lose their business and the staff lose their jobs will have to to massive expence and effort to start again in a new location hopefully bringing some goodwill with them. For a landlord to find a new tennant isn't easy but not like starting a new business in a new location.

People draw the conclusion that the tennants would really have done all they could to keep with the landlords terms but eventually had to make the ****e decision no one wants to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Did the same thing happen with the previous tenant? Pasta paradiso, it was one of my favourite places in town and quite busy but closed very suddenly and never set up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

One of the issues particular to Galway is that commercial landlords do not have to pay any portion of commercial rates for unoccupied properties.

Dublin, Limerick, Cork, and Waterford all bill landlords up to 50% of commercial rates on unoccupied properties. This encourages landlords to let out property, as well as reducing rates for other businesses.

More info here...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I think this answers your question, from their facebook page:
    To all those sending us positive messages of hope and resolution: thank you. To all those who have posted/sent us aggressive and abusive messages accusing us of being somehow "anti-landlord", spreading rumors to up business, or even blaming others for our present misfortune: please stop, as they do no one any good. We bear no ill will to anyone, especially landlords in this current economic climate. Our situation is our situation and we are not trying to pigeon hole the entire country into a situation of tenant vs. landlord. We have done what we believe is ethical and correct after receiving notice to vacate the premises. We owe this to our staff and our customers. I am not interested in the blame game. Just the facts of the matter and how they can (if they can) be resolved. Nowhere in our statement or on any of our social media pages have we "vilified" the landlords of Ireland, who too have to run business' as we have to run ours. It is simply a question of accounting, of profit and loss, and how to stay in business in this current country where we find ourselves.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Cava recently as I felt their consistency went down big time, but I am really sorry to see them go, they basically single-handedly made that side of town the restaurant mecca it now is. Very sad for the staff and will leave a big hole in that street, which if it weren't for restaurants would be very dead indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McTigs wrote: »
    But in these instances, the tennant is the one with a lot more to lose by the negotiations not working out. They lose their business and the staff lose their jobs will have to to massive expence and effort to start again in a new location hopefully bringing some goodwill with them. For a landlord to find a new tennant isn't easy but not like starting a new business in a new location.

People draw the conclusion that the tennants would really have done all they could to keep with the landlords terms but eventually had to make the ****e decision no one wants to make.

Simple business decision really. Happens to places all over town, all the time. Supply vs demand.

Remember that these are restauranters with considerable experience in setting up new locations: they've done it twice in the last five years, and I'm sure they'll do it again.

Whats more, social media means that if they set up in a new location, Cava II will be as busy as the first version in no time at all.

The real losers are, of course, the staff. But hospitality is like that: jobs tend to come and go all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

do you know what I know?

Anyway..never good to see a thread like this.

• Advertisement

do you know what I know?

Anyway..never good to see a thread like this.

Where have you posted what you know?

what happened to pastaparadisso?

they were here just a second ago?

I'd imagine they were removed by a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

An admin got in before me. Making allegations isn't welcome so post was removed and user banned.
    Boards isn't the place to anonymously name individuals in bad terms.

Back to how nice Cava is/was please.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

Damn - I have a 150E voucher for the cookery course there. I wonder will they still honour it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

yfaykya wrote: »
    Damn - I have a 150E voucher for the cookery course there. I wonder will they still honour it.

Call them, the other restaurants are honouring vouchers for Cava until March, not sure about the cookery class.

otherwise bring it to HMV, they might give you a few Jamie Oliver box sets in lieu.

yfaykya wrote: »

The classes are usually run in Anair. Id imaging JP will honour it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I have now been told they are NOT honouring vouchers in the other locations, they'd want to get their stories straight, very annoying after being told two days ago that they are.

• Advertisement

I have now been told they are NOT honouring vouchers in the other locations, they'd want to get their stories straight, very annoying after being told two days ago that they are.
    oh that's bad form!

Surely they would know exactly how much is out there in unclaimed vouchers. Is it really worth the potential loss of goodwill to honour them?

Advertisement