Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Man City Emirates Stadium Sunday 13 Jan 4.05pm SS1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone who doesn't see that we need strengthening after that must be totally blind. Only Jack would get into the City squad. We are too small and too weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

AdamD wrote: »
    Edin Dzeko foul count: 34565435

isn't that citys weekly wage bill?

either way, shame we're such a poor side this year. I'm just hopeful that City don't win the league, would have been nice to win and leave them 10 points adrift.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

So your telling me diving in with two feet studs showing is not a dangerous tackle?

It could be, but it's not solely the two-footedness of the tackle that makes it dangerous. It really annoys me when people say: "applying the letter of the law..." in regards to two-footed tackles because the laws say nothing about two-footedness alone warranting a red card.

Also, this law comes under a section "Interpretation of the Laws of the Game and Guidelines for Referees" - so interpretation also plays a big part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

So your telling me diving in with two feet studs showing is not a dangerous tackle?

Diving in two footed is dangerous, tackling with two feet is allowed if excessive force is not used.

I'm merely highlighting that tackling with 2 feet does not automatically make it a red card offence, like you were claiming.

I'm not even sure the tackle was 2 footed anyway, but that makes no difference under the actual law I quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Feeble Arsenal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Xavi6 wrote: »

Look forward to that red card appeal.

Why?

It was definitely a red card. Diving in, two feet showing studs.
    Kompany got the ball. But it has to be red according to the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

inmyday wrote: »
    Why are you biting??

What am i supposed to do when someone puts his hand in my mouth ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

"You're sh*t and you charge too much" :

Hard to argue against that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Why?

It was definitely a red card. Diving in, two feet showing studs.
    Kompany got the ball. But it has to be red according to the law.

Apart from the fact that he didn't go in with studs showing on both feet, only the foot that got the ball.

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that he didn't go in with studs showing on both feet, only the foot that got the ball.

He jumped in. Both feet were off the ground. You can see it on the slow motion. I just watched it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

They can appeal that every day of the week and they will never win that one both feet left the ground.

Wilshere was brilliant today. Fouled so many times by City (would love to see the stats) and he just got up and got on with it time and time again. I can see that the Kompany red card may be viewed as a little harsh but it was deserved on the City team collectively for the way they continually and cynically brought him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

greendom wrote: »
    Wilshere was brillian today. Fouled so many times by City (would love to see the stats) and he just got up and got on with it time and time again. I can see that the Kompany red card may be viewed as a little harsh but it was deserved on the City team collectively for the way they continually and cynically brought him down.

Well that's a new slant on red cards, I'll give you that. Cumulative fouls means you deserve to lose a man.

Wilshere was fouled a whopping seven times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

amazing how something can be viewed so differently by so many with numerous replays. No wonder the refs get so much abuse.
    Not a red imo and I wouldnt call it a two footed tackle either, we'll have to agree to disagree on this, douth it will be overturned either, the FA dont overturn more obvious ones

He jumped in. Both feet were off the ground. You can see it on the slow motion. I just watched it!

I saw it too, never a red card.

And of course he ****ing jumped in, it was a tackle, if you read comments here you'd think some people would want to do away with tackling completely.

1358098627491.gif

1358098665145.gif

Take a look at that second gif.

• Advertisement

Well that's a new slant on red cards, I'll give you that. Cumulative fouls means you deserve to lose a man.

yes absolutely - justice was served though

And of course he ****ing jumped in, it was a tackle, if you read comments here you'd think some people would want to do away with tackling completely.

He was off the ground - not in full control of his body - the more I see it the more it looks a red. Thanks for that - I wasn't so sure before

yes absolutely - justice was served though

In the form of the result? True enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wilshere was fouled a whopping seven times.

Kompany tackle never a red for me, however, the treatment of Wilshere was a disgrace. 7 times is in fact the most any player's been fouled in a single game this season, whopping alright, and they're just the ones Mike Dean picked up on. Ramsey got the rough treatment too.

He was off the ground - not in full control of his body - the more I see it the more it looks a red. Thanks for that - I wasn't so sure before

lolwhat.

It clearly shows he doesn't completely dive in with two feet, his right leg trails and doesn't even make contact properly.

• Advertisement

We're appealing the red according to Mancini, good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thought both reds were harsh, especially Kompanys.

And if you look at the first gif, he jumped in.

Mancini is a fool for appealing it. The fa will back the ref

It's worth an appeal and it won't be seen as gratutious but I don't think it will suceed

We're appealing the red according to Mancini, good stuff.

Good luck with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

lolwhat.

It clearly shows he doesn't completely dive in with two feet, his right leg trails and doesn't even make contact properly.
    You but up two gifs, the first to me warrants the red, didn't think so at the time but it could have done damage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

And if you look at the first gif, he jumped in.

Mancini is a fool for appealing it. The fa will back the ref

But the second puts the first into context. It's not like it was a 2 footed one in teh first and not in the second. The second shows it was just an excellent ball winning tackle.

Good luck with that one.

It won't be rescinded but that's to do with the FA backing their man rather than a wrong decision.

Good to hear Dermot Gallagher, who knows his stuff, saying it wasn't a red and should be appealed.

It not be rescinded but that's to do with the FA backing their man rather than a wrong decision.

Good to hear Dermot Gallagher, who knows his stuff, saying it wasn't a red and should be appealed.

Not really its still open to interpertation two feet left the ground therefore he was not in control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Despite moments, and even full games of greatness, Koscielney is a liability.

You can't be a great defender and make such costly mistakes so often.

• Advertisement

Not really its still open to interpertation two feet left the ground therefore he was not in control.

Doesn't mean it was the correct decision though.

Either way there's enough debate about it to warrant an appeal and not have an extra game added for being frivolous. Might as well try our luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mike Dean should not be refereeing in the Premier League. He just loves to brandish the red card in big televised games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

karma_ wrote: »
    But the second puts the first into context. It's not like it was a 2 footed one in teh first and not in the second. The second shows it was just an excellent ball winning tackle.

The first one very clearly shows both of his feet leaving the ground. That isn't negated by the second one making it look more one footed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Has there been a change in the rules of tackling or have referees simply gotten stricter on it? 10 years ago I doubt this would have been a red card.

Has there been a change in the rules of tackling or have referees simply gotten stricter on it? 10 years ago I doubt this would have been a red card.

Yes many laws have changed in the last 10 years. They change them often.

Is it not obvious that football rules change? Even look at the 70/80s, totally different game.

In 2000/01/02/03. I dont think Konmpany's tackle would have been a red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Anyway it leaves City 7 behind Und so on with you. Maybe it will serve as a wake up call to The Arsenal Board- we need players to finish 4th!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

To paraphrase Jamie Redknapp yesterday. "Everyone knows it's sometimes more difficult against ten men, but it's also difficult when you only have ten men."

Once Kompany got sent off, this game must have been fierce difficult for everyone involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

1358098627491.gif

1358098665145.gif

It's never a red card. If you look at the 2nd angle its a perfectly timed tackle, Wiltshire looses control of the ball and its there to be won by Kompany. As was stated above it wont be rescinded, the FA will stand by their man :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

The linesman got in troube over his comments yesterday

Well thats according to mail

The linesman who encouraged Manchester City players to go and see fans because they had 'paid 62 quid over there' has been taken off the programme for tomorrow's FA Cup replay between West Bromwich Albion and Queens Park Rangers.
    John Brooks was due to run the lines at the Hawthorns tomorrow evening, but Sportsmail understands the official has been relieved of his duties in the wake the comment he made to Joe Hart and Joleon Lescott after City's 2-0 win over Arsenal.

It's never a red card. If you look at the 2nd angle its a perfectly timed tackle, Wiltshire looses control of the ball and its there to be won by Kompany. As was stated above it wont be rescinded, the FA will stand by their man :rolleyes:

But it was. The rules are there in black and white. Kompany lunged, and his studs were showing. So its a red card according to the laws.
    Thats the way it is!!!
    I personally dont think it should be a foul as Kompany got the ball nice and clean, didnt even connect with Wilshire.
    The ref is there to apply the laws. So so he has to show a red card.
    Just because we dont agree with the rules doesnt mean the ref got it wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

1358098627491.gif

1358098665145.gif

Superb tackle imo. If that breaks the rules then the rules are ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I wouldnt have given a red card for that myself but, if players show their studs going into tackles nowadays, then they risk getting a red card. Kompany was sent off against Man Utd last season for a similar incident, that I also didnt think was a red, but referees are obviously instructed to give them if studs are showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cracking tackle got the ball cleanly no contact with the player with his foot. There is no intent against wilshere, kompany watching the ball the whole time. This sport is going too soft.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Superb tackle imo. If that breaks the rules then the rules are ****ed.

Agreed Lloyd...
    There are loads of rules that are very frustrating. The ref is always a villain no matter what decisions are made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The linesman got in troube over his comments yesterday

Well thats according to mail

The linesman who encouraged Manchester City players to go and see fans because they had 'paid 62 quid over there' has been taken off the programme for tomorrow's FA Cup replay between West Bromwich Albion and Queens Park Rangers.
    John Brooks was due to run the lines at the Hawthorns tomorrow evening, but Sportsmail understands the official has been relieved of his duties in the wake the comment he made to Joe Hart and Joleon Lescott after City's 2-0 win over Arsenal.

In fairness it does demonstrate a certain level of bias, even if that wasn't his intention at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

But it was. The rules are there in black and white. Kompany lunged, and his studs were showing. So its a red card according to the laws.

What is this rule? Everyone keeps talking about rules but where are they written in black and white.

It's a sending off if a player is reckless and uses excessive force. Two footed, one footed it's for the ref to interpret.

For me though if go off both feet you always risk a red card. It's no use looking at this in slomo. No ref has that luxury.

Agreed Lloyd...
    There are loads of rules that are very frustrating. The ref is always a villain no matter what decisions are made.

There should be a concerted push back against this sanitisation of the game though. Defending is something to be encouraged and commended. That tackle is a fine example of brave, direct and aggressive no nonesense defending. It should be an integral part of the sport and protected as such by the rules.

But instead we get every player / manager / fan arguing that the 'rules are the rules *shrug*' when such an instance is to their benefit and the sport slips a little more as a result. EVERYONE should be united in their opposition to awful rulemaking like this and protest in unison at such dreadful decisions.

United we stand or fall, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's all well and good til a poorly executed one ends a player's career.

1 foot good
    2 feet bad

efb wrote: »
    It's all well and good til a poorly executed one ends a player's career.

1 foot good
    2 feet bad
    Player's careers are ended for all sorts of challenges. That's the risk of an intense physical sport. We're well on the slippery slope of all slide tackling being banned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement