Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body Modification Documentaries

Options
  • 12-01-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I spent a good bit of time over the years looking for decent documentaries relating to tattooing, piercing, scarification etc. I thought i would list a few of them as a refrence for forum members....

Hori Smoku Sailor Jerry

Hori Smoku Sailor Jerry is a feature length documentary exploring the roots of American tattooing through the life of its most iconoclastic figure, Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins.

Tattoos: A Scarred History

Controversial feature documentary that takes a sociological look at the world of tattoos to discover why western society has now embraced the once taboo art form with open flesh.

Colour Outside The Lines

Documentary on black tattoo culture that seeks to educate and destroy the stigmas about this controversial, yet beautiful artform.

Last Sparrow Tattoo

This Youtube Entertainment Channel host a number of great interviews with some of the worlds leading tattoo artists.

Tattoo Age on Vice TV

Another Youtube that has a number of quality interviews with leading artists around the world.

The Gypsy Gentlemen.

Again, this YouTube Channel features interviews with some pretty cool tattoo artists.

Ancient Ink: Blood and Tattoos

This feature length documentary again follows the exploits of a tattooer who travels the globe interviewing cool tattoo artists.

Tattoo Odyssey

Another feature length documentary.Photographer Chris Rainier has spent the last two decades documenting tattoo culture. His journeys have taken him through jungles, cities, deserts, and into the territory of New Guinea hill tribes and L.A. street gangs

Ed Hardy Tattoo the World

A feature length film, Hardy took tattoo imagery from the shadowy fringes into the bright lights of the fashion world. His signature has emblazoned clothing worn by Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and Mick Jagger. ED HARDY: TATTOO THE WORLD is a trip through the phantasmagorical mind of this visionary artist, his phenomenal rise to cult icon and the evolution of his vibrant personal art.

Modify

Feature length : MODIFY is a movie about having the right to do whatever you want to your own body. This film shows dozens of procedures in stunning two-camera detail, from tanning, waxing, bodybuilding and tattoos to plastic surgery, trans-gender surgery, suspension, and scarification.

Flesh & Blood

Flesh & Blood is Larry Silverman's compelling, critically acclaimed documentary about one of the most controversial and legendary practitioners in the world of radical body modification. Haworth takes piercing to whole new extreme. Haworth spawned a global subculture fixated on his surgical artistry. Some of the world's most extreme looking people have spent time under Haworth's knife. Flesh and Blood is an unflinching glimpse into an intense and mysterious world Haworth helped to create, and the obsessed people who inhabit it.

Sick: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist

Sick is a 1997 documentary film directed by Kirby Dick about Bob Flanagan, a Los Angeles writer, poet, performance artist, comic, and BDSM celebrity, who suffered from and later died of cystic fibrosis. The film premiered at the 1997 Sundance Film Festival, where it was awarded a Special Jury Prize.

I am sure there are a few more I have forgotten, so please feel free to add them to the list!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Great list. I'll have to seek them out.

I'm just watching Modify at the moment. Really has made realize how far down the extreme spectrum I am. I'm also glad I'm not eating at the moment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bubblebery

Take it your sucking ice for a while... Check out the Modify one, had most places pierced through the years, but myself and my wife still could not make it through the first half hour...

I was reading stuff online at the same time while watching and eventually I found I just wasn't able to read anymore. There was a close up of a tongue split being and I just don't have the words for it.

Its so weird, I can sit and get tattooed and pierced, I work around this stuff all day, but for some reason watching on the screen freaks me out, but in a good way, i might try and finish watching it tonight ! The Sailor Jerry one is very cool, you should be be to find it free on the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Modify is the only one I seen on that list. Stumbled across it on netflix. Great documentary.

I'm not the easiest to freak out in relation to blood, gore, stretching......but my god some of the scenes in that had me looking through my hands!! I could nearly feel the pain in some of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Oooh modify is on Netflix

*goes off in search*

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

hdowney wrote: »
    Oooh modify is on Netflix

*goes off in search*
    Was just wondering if any of these were on Netflix. Cool, will have to have a nosey and see what I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

binxeo wrote: »
    Was just wondering if any of these were on Netflix. Cool, will have to have a nosey and see what I find.

We put on Modify a while ago and had to turn it off. The plastic surgery clips are just gross. Couldn't watch it.. I'd rather a documentary on tatts or piercings, but that was too much.

I fear a challenge is looming... Lets all sit down in our respective homes and see if we can get through Modify, from start to finish ! I am going to try it with the wife tonight !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I'm 45 minutes into Modify right now. The plastic surgery bits are the worst by far! Everything else is a breeze.

Edit: Just at the lipstick tattooing bit now. Ouch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Excellent, I've been looking for docs on just this subject.
    Does anyone know where I could get a copy (hardcopy or digital) of Tattoos: A Scarred History? I was looking for that earlier in the week, but it seems really hard to find. The only copy I could find on amazon.co.uk was 79.99GBP + postage D:

Excellent, I've been looking for docs on just this subject.
    Does anyone know where I could get a copy (hardcopy or digital) of Tattoos: A Scarred History? I was looking for that earlier in the week, but it seems really hard to find. The only copy I could find on amazon.co.uk was 79.99GBP + postage D:

Seriously? Ouch, that's one I wanted to have a look for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Orim wrote: »
    Seriously? Ouch, that's one I wanted to have a look for.

Yep :(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tattoos-A-Scarred-History-DVD/dp/B003616XK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358282302&sr=8-1

Not a sausage on ebay either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I DISPISED Modify.

all the shape throwing by big names at the forefront of bodymodification, all with less than alternative looking girlfriends. I call bull****.

Advertisement