Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year Primary teaching, need pratical Irish help..?

Options
  • 12-01-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All, I'm in first year of B.Ed and seriously need to improve my Irish in terms of things/sentences/phrases that are actually useful for the end of year oral..But resources are v limited because I don't want leaving cert books as I find theyre irrelevant and there aren't a lot of sites to give pratical help..I don't want to resort to grinds, so is there any books that anyone in this situation would recommend? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

hileix wrote: »
    Hi All, I'm in first year of B.Ed and seriously need to improve my Irish in terms of things/sentences/phrases that are actually useful for the end of year oral..But resources are v limited because I don't want leaving cert books as I find theyre irrelevant and there aren't a lot of sites to give pratical help..I don't want to resort to grinds, so is there any books that anyone in this situation would recommend? Thanks
    <snip groundless assumptions about OP>

Leaving cert books aren't irrelevant if your Irish is that poor but you should try reading them aloud so you get used to actually speaking the language, preferably with a dictionary so that you understand what you're saying. You should also go out and find Irish speakers to talk to and make an effort to talk to them and to listen to how they speak and what kind of "things/sentences/phrases" they use. Don't think about whether they'll say things that'll be relevant to your oral. Your future students deserve a teacher who can speak and teach Irish, not someone who was clever enough to cheat the system without being competent to do their job.

<snip off-topic comment about teachers>

Edit - The "off-topic comment" was a reasonable recommendation/reminder I felt and based on the OP, the assumptions I made (and they were assumptions in fairness) were far from groundless. I won't repost them obviously but educational theory covers more than just "book learning", does it not? Attitude comes into it and in particular, it comes into this sort of issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What RealJohn said about using LC books, plus I would suggest having RnaG and TG4 on permanently, as a great deal of the sound and flow of the language is picked up by listening to it almost sub-consciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Exposure is a major part of learning any language. Immerse yourself in the language and that will help you a lot in terms of listening and then later in producing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭38Flowers

Check out
    https://siopa.gael-linn.ie/sites/gael-linn/Products/books
    This book will be a great help for general everyday irish speak with the kids in the classroom, it is only a start but it is a help if you are very rusty.
    Then check out Maith thu senior books, and go through. Using everyday ordaithe in the classroom helps, as does when you have to write your own lesson plans all through Gaeilge -a struggle at the start, but it is a huge help in the end to your level of irish, written and spoken.
    Definetly get over the embarrassment of not having any spoken and join a Gaeilge speaking free class, they are everywhere. You get out what you put in and you will have a huge load off if you are pretty well able to have a comhra, not to mention being very proud to be able to speak your native language. Good luck.

Advertisement