Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to bu plants online

Options
  • 12-01-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi greenfingers....

Just a quick one if you can spare the time....

Not really in a situation to get to a nursery to pick up some plants... Have been looking online and so far the best nursery i can see is www.gardens4you.ie but i think they are based in the UK...

Anyone have any other sites they buy from online ?

Also would i be better off not planting and ordering until march or can i plant them now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Are you looking for perrenials/annuals/bulbs?

I've used bakker a few times for bulbs and never been dissapointed. I've never bought perrenials over the internet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I use futureforests.net
    especially at this time of year for bare-root. Always been happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

newbie2 wrote: »
    Are you looking for perrenials/annuals/bulbs?

I've used bakker a few times for bulbs and never been dissapointed. I've never bought perrenials over the internet though.

I am looking tobuy some plants in particular some climbers such as clematis, honeysuckle ant wisteria....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would not buy herbaceous plants from Bakker again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What quantities are you talking about here... 1 or 2 plants, or a few pallets?
    Here's a list of nurseries and wholesalers who I found to be good, they all have minimum quantities though.

SAP Nurseries (These are probably your best best for the climbers)
    Future forests for trees
    L and K Dunne for shrubs, they do a lot of liners (v small plants)
    Rentes for shrubs. larger plants.
    Young nurseries for herbaceous

If your quantities are small (1 or 2 of each plant rather than trays), most garden centers will order items for you from the wholesalers. I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but I'd always recommend supporting the local garden center if you can.

Just found this place online
    http://www.irishplants.ie/order.htm
    Never ordered from them myself... but they seem to be irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I found Johnstown Garden Centre to be good. I don't know how they rate in relation to price, but delivery was prompt, everything was in good condition, and nothing has died.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tullys Nurseries and also Hedges.ie.

Both are fantastic places to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

paddy147 wrote: »
    Tullys Nurseries and also Hedges.ie.

Both are fantastic places to deal with

Fairly typical Irish websites(why oh why don't they see the trend is for online buying?)...one hasn't been updated since October and the other is 'Website Coming Soon'. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Fairly typical Irish websites(why oh why don't they see the trend is for online buying?)...one hasn't been updated since October and the other is 'Website Coming Soon'. :rolleyes:

Alot of their trade and business could be from the trade sector (horticulturalists and landscapers).Monthly plant lists/stock lists and prices would/could also be emailed to their trade customers.

These people tend to go out in person and look at plant/hedge stocks,and personally pick them out rather than just sit at a computer and look online.

I think that even alot of householders,gardeners and enthusists would go to a garden centre and pick out plants in person,and not just look at them online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yes, maybe, but the OP asked about buying online. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement