Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 mb BB

Options
  • 12-01-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

So about 2-3 months ago I upgraded to 24mb broadband after having the basic package of 8mb for 1~ month due to the data cap, the ridiculous excess usage charges and throttling.

Ever since then the broadband has been inconsistent at best, as an example this is what happens basically everyday.

I come home from work at around 5:30 and go online, the internet/download is slow so I do a speed test. Its generally around 100kb/s down and 80ish ping. Irish upload seems to be crap regardless so I dont really pay attention to it.

Then i do a router restart and it's back to 12mb down and 30 ping. If i dont use the internet for a few hours it reverts back to 100kb/s and the router needs another restart.

Aside from the fact I'm paying for the 24mb package and getting 12mb(the router even says its capped at this) as I assume this is due to my line not being able to handle 24mb, the constant dropping to a worse connection is getting unbearable.

Some help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

24mb package = up to 24mb, its to do with your distance from the exchange. If your 8mb was OK I suggest you phone support and ask them to throttle your connect down to say 10mb and see how that works.

I understand your probable thinking, why pay for 24mb when I'm only going to get a constant 8-10mb? Well the answer is, that's just how it works, eircom promise up to 24mb and have increased your download allowance, you need to come to a decision, if paying for the extra download allowance is working out for you... or simple switch providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Decerto

Would you like to Pm me your landline number? I will look into this and run a few tests.

Regards

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Have a similar problem, if I restart the router I`ll get 20Mb down for like a day or 2 , but after a couple of days it drops down to 7 or 8Mb, the pings aren't affected though.

Maybe I need a better router, using the grey motorola one at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

nuxxx wrote: »
    Have a similar problem, if I restart the router I`ll get 20Mb down for like a day or 2 , but after a couple of days it drops down to 7 or 8Mb, the pings aren't affected though.

Maybe I need a better router, using the grey motorola one at the moment.

Hi Nuxx,

I have been running a few checks and I your broadband was migrated to the NGB Ultimate "up to 24" package. Since we last logged a case for you.

Are you sure your current modem is ADSL2+ compatible. Did you receive a modem from eircom with the upgrade order?

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hi Nuxx,

I have been running a few checks and I your broadband was migrated to the NGB Ultimate "up to 24" package. Since we last logged a case for you.

Are you sure your current modem is ADSL2+ compatible. Did you receive a modem from eircom with the upgrade order?

Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark,

We have the silver motorola router at the moment. Were we supposed to have been sent a different one?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

We have the silver motorola router at the moment. Were we supposed to have been sent a different one?

Thanks
    Eircom uses a zyxel modem this is what they sent out to people now, it black with eircom label on the front of it.

Seems you're still using the old Netopia motorala model, for play you still have it lol. 

But they are no longer been given by Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi nuxxx

I have contacted technical support and they have confirmed that you may require a new zyxel modem. They have advised me to ask you to contact them on 1890260260 to discuss your options in placing an order as [font=Calibri","sans-serif]you have a choice to  Purchase a modem from eircom for €49.99 which willhave an new 12 month warranty you can agree to enter a new 12 month contract with eircom and get a modem sent out free of charge, with a new 12 month warranty.[/font]

Regards

Al

Advertisement