Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmainham Gaol: can it open longer/have more tours?

Options
  • 12-01-2013 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

When I first visited Kilmainham Gaol it was without doubt the most extraordinarily poignant place I have ever visited. I had tears in my eyes on several occasions.

So, I rang up last week to book Kilmainham Gaol for a group of Dublin schoolkids. I thought it would be a straightforward booking. The man on the phone, however, said it wouldn't be possible because it's booked out until the end of May 2012.

These kids are Dubs, through and through, and since 1st Year they've been asking me about the 1916 Rising - sometimes it seems that's all they want to know about! Now they know loads about it (I hope!) and Kilmainham Gaol would be ideal to reinforce that (despite the massive historical revision undergone by KG on the jail's republican history in the past 10 years).

Essentially, is it not possible for Kilmainham Gaol to facilitate the justified demand - "October - March: Mon -Sat 09:30 - 17:30 (last admission at 16:30)" - by opening longer or indeed by having more tours within those hours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Strange indeed. I've visited at least half a dozen times, often taking different friends, family etc. Always they seem to cope with all the walk-up visitors that arrive (though some of the groups get pretty large). A shame they can't block off one of the tours for a local school at an earlier date.

Suggestion - take the youngsters in groups of 4-6 at different times and join the general tour. Would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

Outside, there are always large numbers queuing, especially on weekends. I would think that tour companies book the place well in advance to ensure a place on their itinerary. Perhaps book for the next academic year?

Advertisement