Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polystyrene Disposal

Options
  • 12-01-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Over the past year I've accumulated an amount of polystyrene from various household appliances I've bought. I can't put it in the Greenstar bins because it's forbidden. If I bring it to the Ballyogan Recycling Centre they'll charge me €20-€30 for the few bags of the stuff that I have. Is there anywhere else that takes polystyrene without charging? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gardeners. I dump mine on a friend of mine who puts it in the bottom of flowerpots.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

All I need now are some gardening friends. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Power city shops will take it.

Thanks. I'll contact them to see if they take the stuff from those who haven't bought items from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Gravale wrote: »
    If I bring it to the Ballyogan Recycling Centre they'll charge me €20-€30 for the few bags of the stuff that I have.

That sounds expensive.

Ballymount recycling centre charge used to charge something like €12 - €15 for an entire car full of stuff, and they had "household waste" skips for non-recycleable stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Surely the polystyrene just goes in the general waste bin. The issue with it is that it can't be recycled?

That sounds expensive.
    Ballymount recycling centre charge used to charge something like €12 - €15 for an entire car full of stuff, and they had "household waste" skips for non-recycleable stuff.

The garden waste (hedging, grass, etc.) is free to dispose of.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

That's mad. We're with Keywaste and we can put it in the general/landfill bin. This document on the Greenstar website says they do take it in their general waste bins, could you bury it in your bin a bit at a time?

http://www.greenstar.ie/docs/uploads/waste-segregation-and-bin-presentation-guidelines.pdf

Thanks, Twenty10. They must have changed their policy regarding polystyrene since I signed up with them. I think I'll follow your suggestion.

Problem solved! :)

Advertisement