Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on pc building

Options
  • 12-01-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there :) , im looking to build my own computer. i will be using it for gaming and developing. I have no parts that i can use from my previous computer so
    i will need to buy everything with the exception of mouse, keyboard and monitor.It would be a bonus if the computer was sli ready and one off the hard disk drives was 1tb.I am hoping to get at least 4 years out of it without having to do any major upgrading. I dont yet have a confirmed budget but i expect it to be from 600 to 900 hundred. any advice on what harware i should buy.
    many thanks smcraft8

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Could you fill this out if you get a chance :)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056397753?page=1#post_74542374

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

dont do it unless u are an expert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

dont do it unless u are an expert

Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean you should just stop everyone from building their own PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

mabye I was just unlucky but watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 smcraft8

HI marco polo , my budget is anywhere between 600 to 900 hundred euros.
    the main purpose of the computer is for developing and gaming.
    i will need a copy of windows.
    i have no parts that i can use from my old computer.
    i will not need a monitor, i also will not need a mouse, speakers or keyboard.
    at the moment i am not going to try overclocking but it is possible in the future.
    and i can pay in bank transfer/ credit and laser.

• Advertisement

HI marco polo , my budget is anywhere between 600 to 900 hundred euros.
    the main purpose of the computer is for developing and gaming.
    i will need a copy of windows.
    i have no parts that i can use from my old computer.
    i will not need a monitor, i also will not need a mouse, speakers or keyboard.
    at the moment i am not going to try overclocking but it is possible in the future.
    and i can pay in bank transfer/ credit and laser.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Something like this is the upper endo of your budget, CPU is overclockable and should last a good few years. You should get at least 2-3 years out of the GPU before even considering an upgrade. SSD is out of stock currently be hopefully will be back soon, if not there is a slightly more expensive item that is the same drive with a data transfer kit.

Item|Price
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.61
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€45.92
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€85.04
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€205.99
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL10|€36.34
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€82.10
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€62.99
    Samsung SH-118AB schwarz|€14.79
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€97.64
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition, 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€219.24
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€901.65

Can post something towards the 600 end of the budget tommorrow if you would like.

Thanks a lot :) , also is this every component for the computer that i need?
    also would you please post something towards the 600 hundred of my budget sometime if you get the chance, so i can compare the two , much appreciated and many thanks :)

Thanks a lot :) , also is this every component for the computer that i need?
    also would you please post something towards the 600 hundred of my budget sometime if you get the chance, so i can compare the two , much appreciated and many thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

You mentioned SLI the motherboards above do not support it.. Change to the asrock pro 4 m if you are considering sli in the future it's a smaller board but if has more options.. You may loose out on a couple of PCIe slots

U_Fig wrote: »
    You mentioned SLI the motherboards above do not support it.. Change to the asrock pro 4 m if you are considering sli in the future it's a smaller board but if has more options.. You may loose out on a couple of PCIe slots

Why would he need sli if he is getting an AMD card?

The b75 pro 3, z77 pro 3 and z77 pro 4 m have the same xfire support. Slot 1: x16 and slot 2: x4
    Both cards will run at x4

You need to get the extreme 4 for x8 on both cards.
    This is the motherboard to go for if you will definitely be going dual card. It is a good but more expensive so you need to be sure.

A micro atx will probably be worse for overclocking the cpu also.
    I see no reason to go for the pro 4 m in this build.

Missed the dual card requirement, in that case the regular ATX pro 4 has 2 pcie x16 slots so worth throwing that into my build for an extra 12. The pro 4 m has the same though tux yone pcie 3.0 x16 and one pcie 2.0 x16

Edit: Apologies you are correct, it can only run at x4 speeds on the second slot.

If it had that it would support sli as well as crossfire.
    With the pro 4
    The 2 slots will work as x16 in single card mode but revert to x4 for dual card

The extreme 4 has 2 single x16 slots that revert to x8 in dual card mode.

I seem to be having alot of brainfarts this weekend :p

It's actually a bit confusing I had to double check a few things so was not 100% on it myself.

For the op I don't think you should worry about dual cards.
    Most the time it works out much better to sell you old card and buy a new one rather than buying a duplicate card and adding it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Eh I got conflustered in my hungover state.. In the op it was mentioned so I assumed he'd be going nvidia with a card..

But ya I kinda agree unless you are running triple monitors at 1080p 1 card would be perfectly fine

Thanks everyone :)

Advertisement