Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issue with landlord

Options
  • 12-01-2013 3:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

folks, if i had an issue with a former landlord and he is insisting that i owe him money which i believe i do not and he states that he will take further steps (whatever that means) what exactly can he do? this is a civil matter is it not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It is a civil matter.

He can lodge a complaint with the PRTB and take action that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Maybe get him to outline, in writing, exactly what his complaint is, and base your next move on his response. He can go to the PRTB if he wishes, but Id be trying to get him to be very exact about what he thinks that you owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

djimi wrote: »
    Maybe get him to outline, in writing, exactly what his complaint is, and base your next move on his response. He can go to the PRTB if he wishes, but Id be trying to get him to be very exact about what he thinks that you owe.

This is very good advice. Keep a copy of the letter and make sure that he gets his copy. It could be very useful if he takes action

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do you ? Why does he claim this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

ted1 wrote: »
    Do you ? Why does he claim this?
    I have moved out of the place about six months now we didn't even have a contract or anything I used to put monthly rent into his account or leave it in the room then one day he comes to me and said I owed him for 3 months rent and he keeps contacting me about this and he now states he is taking steps

• Advertisement

What kind of tenancy was it; were you living with him as an owner occupier or were you renting the house/a room in the house?

Unless you were living with an owner occupier (which has different rules) then the landlord is entitled to the appropriate notice given in writing, and if this was not forthcoming then he may well be within his rights to persue you for money owed.

i was renting a room, i never seen him at all and i left a note for him one month in advance and then moved out, there was no problem until he contacted me to say i owed money, as far as i can see he can sing for it, what are the ptrb going to do? its my word against his, i never even got a contract or anything it was all a bit dodgey

Well if he can prove that you lived there and you cant prove that you gave him appropriate notice then he may well have a case. Leaving a note is probably not going to be seen as sufficient.

To be honest you might be as well to contact Threshold and have a chat with them about this situation and see what they reckon.

thanks for the advice, he didnt seem one for paperwork etc which i know wasnt a good idea but the rent was cheap and i wasnt flush so it suited, the fact is apart from recieving post there nothing else was in my name no rent agreement or anything, he has my email address and mobile number but nothing else, he doesnt know where i currently live, at the same time i cant prove i gave him notice as the only thing was the note, maybe im worrying about nothing, maybe its just an idle threat to try get some money off me, there is nothing he can really do anyway.

ps lesson learned for the tenant, always look for a tenency agreement and proof of notice given

Id say your best bet is to sit back and let him take case with the PRTB if he so wishes. If he does so and has enough of a case against you then so be it, but chances are he either wont bother, or will try and wont get very far. Either way I wouldnt invest any more time in it until you have to, and I would avoid all contact with him in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

djimi wrote: »

OP - you have nothing to gain at all by contacting your former landlord.

He can do nothing.

No court will entertain him, his only legal option is PRTB, which he cannot avail of since he didn't register your tenancy.

thanks for your help guys, strangely earlier today he contacted me by text and asked nicely if i would deposit the "outstanding amount" into his bank account asap.....a change of tactics it seems.....anyway you are right guys i will avoid contact with him and let him do what he likes which is not really a lot

Advertisement