Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT 2013/14 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Was an underwhelming NXT. Itami was a bit sluggish, thought he injured his knee to be honest, A backlash against him after a set of tapings spread out over 2 days or so is ridiculous!

Was enticed by the Introduction of Titus as NXT is missing a big muscle monster, but it was a boring match to be fair... He needs to step it up.

Becky v Banks was ok, finish was pretty awesome.

Enzo and cass V Vaudevillians was fun for their introductions, after that the match ok.

Was a grand episode to fill the time. The most consistently interesting brand in America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Sad to hear the racism stuff. Ridiculous, those idiots should be ejected and banned. That'll put a halt to that rubbish fairly lively.

Hopefully he improves and from looking at the video of
    Devitt's debut, they both seemed pretty over as a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

WTF is this, the 1940s?

Stay classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The racism stuff is sickening to hear about but you reap what you sow, how many times has WWE as a brand made racist jibes at Japan? My non wrestling fan friends still remember Kaientai, how about the numerous egg roll puns? Or that entire segment where JBL beat up a plastic Godzilla. When you condition an audience for decades to believe that a Japanese wrestler is either a heel or a comedy act and worthy only of derision I don't think it's overly surprising that the end result is what Itami had to endure at the tapings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its true. WWE conditions its fans with this "America, **** yeah!" attitude, and still are (look at the whole Rusev character).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Teaming with Funaki wasn't doing him any favours breaking away from the Japanese stereotype the WWE likes to play on.

If he doesn't break free of the stereotype he will either end up a comedy act which will end up in his release in less than 2 years or he will play the evil Mr Fuji stereotype and maybe get a couple of years out of that before his release.

The best thing for him and Balor is to tag and come in with a manager at first as neither have great mic skills. Let the wrestling talk for them at first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The racism stuff is sickening to hear about but you reap what you sow, how many times has WWE as a brand made racist jibes at Japan? My non wrestling fan friends still remember Kaientai, how about the numerous egg roll puns? Or that entire segment where JBL beat up a plastic Godzilla. When you condition an audience for decades to believe that a Japanese wrestler is either a heel or a comedy act and worthy only of derision I don't think it's overly surprising that the end result is what Itami had to endure at the tapings.

Honestly I dont think it is that. Florida is just a kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

rovert wrote: »

That's as ignorant a comment to make as any. The place had like 20 million people and is the size of the UK iirc. Having been there myself before and having talked to anyone who's visited, it's far from a kip. Unless you're referring exclusively to Full Sail and it's environs or something.

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's as ignorant a comment to make as any. The place had like 20 million people and is the size of the UK iirc. Having been there myself before and having talked to anyone who's visited, it's far from a kip. Unless you're referring exclusively to Full Sail and it's environs or something.

Not really ignorant. The worst and oddest crimes occur in Florida. "Only in Florida" is a common expression and an internet meme. Dunno what you visited maybe just the touristy parts maybe not. But the some of the venues/locations NXT runs you wouldn't trust to park your car in front of. Just deep in the sticks. I know long time been through the mill fans who have stopped attending NXT live events as the some of the people in the crowd completely ruin the show. Before this Itami thing it used to be really mean and cruel things chanted and screamed at the women. Bare in mind these shows a VERY PG and gentle in the ring. The NXT security rarely kick them out partly out of intimidation partly out of laziness.

Not really ignorant. The worst and oddest crimes occur in Florida. "Only in Florida" is a common expression and an internet meme. Dunno what you visited maybe just the touristy parts maybe not. But the some of the venues/locations NXT runs you wouldn't trust to park your car in front of. Just deep in the sticks. I know long time been through the mill fans who have stopped attending NXT live events as the some of the people in the crowd completely ruin the show. Before this Itami thing it used to be really mean and cruel things chanted and screamed at the women. Bare in mind these shows a VERY PG and gentle in the ring. The NXT security rarely kick them out partly out of intimidation partly out of laziness.

Out of curiosity how many of these shows have you been to yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It is entirely possible that there happened to be a few bad characters in the crowd that night, but I would say that I could never imagine large scale chanting and childish derision of a culture at, say an MMA fighter from Japan. I do absolutely believe that WWE's attitude (which they've never been afraid of professing) towards Japan has played a huge part in making it apparently acceptable to go to a WWE event and take part in a spot of casual racism.

Out of curiosity how many of these shows have you been to yourself?

I know a lot of people who have attended and wrestled on them. Was shocked to hear about the chants at Full Sail. The only town so far that there wasn't chants at Itami was Orlando.

It is entirely possible that there happened to be a few bad characters in the crowd that night, but I would say that I could never imagine large scale chanting and childish derision of a culture at, say an MMA fighter from Japan. I do absolutely believe that WWE's attitude (which they've never been afraid of professing) towards Japan has played a huge part in making it apparently acceptable to go to a WWE event and take part in a spot of casual racism.

Not going to totally dismiss that but on balance Florida seems to have a bit of a greater problem with Asians than most places and just seems ruder in general. I know a few people have gone to more mature shows like ROH, CZW etc who despised the NXT shows they went to. Like one reaction in my DMs:
    Florida is one of the biggest jokes in the entire United States. If it floated away, we'd be better off.

It is a Wrestling crowd and with the "there's always one" principle you expect off colour chanting or roll eyes moments. But when you have people chanting in front of children at Alexa Bliss that she is a whore and no one does anything about it gets bothersome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Trying to remember, is this Itami's first match? Think it's a bad idea to put him in a handicap anyway. All they can really do is show him getting some offense and intestinal fortitude but he'll always get beat down. I know in the long run it can lead to the intro of a partner, but it doesn't really do him any favours. For now he just has his reputation and this match wasn't a good example of his skills due to being out of it. Even the commentators sais him hitting the post near the end looked sore, which I thought as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

That Hey Arnold reference was ****ing awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know in the long run it can lead to the intro of a partner

Well, most will have seen the video the other week:
    It already has, Devitt comes out with him and they clean house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Trying to remember, is this Itami's first match? Think it's a bad idea to put him in a handicap anyway. All they can really do is show him getting some offense and intestinal fortitude but he'll always get beat down. I know in the long run it can lead to the intro of a partner, but it doesn't really do him any favours. For now he just has his reputation and this match wasn't a good example of his skills due to being out of it. Even the commentators sais him hitting the post near the end looked sore, which I thought as well.

He had a match with Justin Gabriel which was much better but still a bit "meh"

California independent talent Willie Mack, who was about to start with WWE NXT, has been released by WWE before he ever started with WWE developmental, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

Mack, a regular with Pro Wrestling Guerrilla and Championship Wrestling Hollywood, is a really talented performer with tremendous charisma. He received an extremely emotional farewell at the PWG Battle of Los Angeles event.

Wellness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/88890/next-live-nxt-special-will-be.html?p=1

The next special is scheduled for December 11. Lol if they haven't the UK/Ireland Network launch sorted by then for Devitt.

Thanks Ageyev. I (& everyone) knew it was that date as it is a 4 episode taping away from from that last set they did. Just took WWE forever to confirm it.

• Advertisement

Going back to what I said several weeks ago. WWE emailed this image out to the Wrestling media yesterday:

OQn8hfH.png

The Subject was "A Special Message From Triple H"

With "the future is bright" in the body of the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

With "the future is bright" in the body of the email.

Seems like Hunter is fantasy booking his own show with NXT and the talent WWE are signing.

I do not mind this.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

KENTA is listed as Itami but Devitt isn't Balor, is that strange?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Brendão wrote: »

Devitt hasn't officially appeared on TV yet.

Brendão wrote: »

He is yet to make his official debut and explain his name change like KENTA did.

At first glance for some reason I thought KENTA was Justin Gabriel :o

Carmella's theme is pretty Fancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Sounds like a WCW cover of Fancy by Iggy Azalea.

Actually I'd be gobsmacked if it wasn't intentional.

[Ninja Edit] I did not understand the Fancy reference until right now. I'll go back to my hole.[/Ninja Edit]

Was so sure Blue Pants would win her match.

• Advertisement

A great little episode this week. Zayn vs Kidd was strong TV main event. Blake & Murphy are gelling well as a time. They REALLY have something in Carmella.

I have to issue the biggest "ah here lads" possible. Rightfully most of the forum had a real problem with tone deaf Irish Dancing gimmick Becky Lynch had which spawned pages of discussion at the time. Becky in her now non-stereotyped is allowed to speak in her our accent in her first backstage vignette and not much of a peep of ye. What's the story?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement