Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT 2013/14 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I dunno guys, I think the same can be said about all of them. Dolph Ziggler springs to mind here.

Admittedly you do need to ham it up a bit in pro wrestling but, and I can't quite put my finger on specifically what it is, when Becky is doing her entrance where she seems to be screaming stuff, or her headbashing, or just bullying she comes across as a 10 year old whose been told to act like a stereotypical bully. I do think there's the right kind of pro wrestling hammy and the wrong kind of amateur pantomime hammy (as utterly weird as that sounds) and I think Becky falls into the latter's category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I see where you're coming from, but I definitely think that there's worse offenders out there. The worst ever culprit (in my opinion only), was also one of the most beloved, and that was Shawn Michaels. However, this is what NXT is for. Seth Rollins was OTT 2 years ago too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Admittedly you do need to ham it up a bit in pro wrestling but, and I can't quite put my finger on specifically what it is, when Becky is doing her entrance where she seems to be screaming stuff, or her headbashing, or just bullying she comes across as a 10 year old whose been told to act like a stereotypical bully. I do think there's the right kind of pro wrestling hammy and the wrong kind of amateur pantomime hammy (as utterly weird as that sounds) and I think Becky falls into the latter's category.

I've been saying that for a while about her. But in fairness the last two weeks she has shown signs of toning it down and directing it better. Becky during her indie career she had similar but not the same issues which even she acknowledged in an interview during her time away from the ring:
    The thing is, Rebecca doesn’t take what she did very seriously, and goes so far as to claim that her plaudits were fooled by smoke and mirrors. During a rare interview with the $&M show – which later became episode 20 of the Women Of Wrestling Podcast – she said: “Let’s call a spade a spade here; I was just ridiculous. I had the most ridiculous gimmick – I came out, I danced, I was just ridiculous. I was an Irish leprechaun that came out to U Can’t Touch This by MC Hammer, used to do the running man, jig – and I didn’t know what I was, and there was just a bunch of hype about me because I was ridiculous, because I screamed and annoyed people. If you make enough hype about anything, the people are going to buy it and by then people just assumed that I must have been good… they were seriously wrong.”

http://ringbellesonline.com/2012/10/09/ringbelles-roundup-9-october-2012-the-return-of-rebecca-knox-wsu-and-more/

As the article says in the paragraph after the quote above she was selling herself short. At the very least she was an in ring prodigy technical Wrestling wise and spectacular cheating heel who could get real heat. But there's still a lot of truth to what she said about herself. An additional criticism I had at the time is that she would play (scream) to crowd too much. Like the law of diminishing returns kind of sets in after you do it the seventh time like. :pac: But both Becky's own and my criticisms of "Rebecca Knox" are kind of unfair to any 18/19 year old wrestler especially one who is on the "The Best At The Youngest Age" historical shortlist. I've ****e'd too many times about that on here. I don't know a Wrestler who travelled to the UK, North America and Japan quicker. Also serious Women's Wrestling was kind of a new thing in the Western World when she started. Becky was kind of writing the book on it as she went. She's only 27 but she's a cited influence on lots of female Wrestlers from current SHIMMER Champ Nicole Matthews, ex-TNA Champ Havok and even her own WWE colleagues Emma, Bayley and Paige.

She's naturally a very hyper person that even if she wasn't in Wrestling she would be attending endless gym classes to burn off all her excess energy. But I haven't really been a fan of the NXT era Becky in terms of how she projects herself. I do think her Acting training and Degree between her Indie Wrestling stint and signing with WWE seemingly has kind of ruined her. When she was the self described "ridiculous" indie Wrestler she had more of a "silly Wrestling heel" charm to her. Now she "more Acting workshop" or what you said the "wrong kind of amateur pantomime hammy." Wrestlers often say Wrestling isn't acting it is reacting. Becky on the indies reacted to the crowd too much if anything but in NXT she has become disconnected from the crowd and responding to them naturally like a true Pro Wrestler does.

Hell yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Question: Why is the next Takeover show being stylized as R Evolution?

Question: Why is the next Takeover show being stylized as R Evolution?

"Our Evolution" Obviously you are smart enough to figure that out. But yeah no one likes it. Genuinely Full Sail University which is a college campus has had complaints about the show name on the account of grammar. :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I swear to God, I didn't get the "r = our" thing till you said it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I swear to God, I didn't get the "r = our" thing till you said it....

me neither :confused:

I just thought it was Revolution! D'Oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

rovert wrote: »

Was really confused as to why Sasha had a double chin on the t-shirt. Then I realised it was supposed to be her mouth, but now I can't un-see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Poor Mia Yim didn't even get named in her match against Charlotte. Though I only know her name from finding out Blue Pants' name.

What was with the sudden cheering as if something else was happening after Balor's double foot stomp?

Edit: Never mind, just saw rovert's reason in the Devitt thread

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Edit: Never mind, just saw rovert's reason in the Devitt thread

Amazing wasn't it? Like a MIDI file or something of a crowd cheer. I personally though it was some randomly alert on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭wolfpac

Is R Evolution live or taped?

wolfpac wrote: »
    Is R Evolution live or taped?

Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Just watched NXT there now, they left in the "holy s***" chants after Balor stomped Breeze. Maybe it was a pre watershed thing?

Pentecost wrote: »
    Just watched NXT there now, they left in the "holy s***" chants after Balor stomped Breeze. Maybe it was a pre watershed thing?

Likely.

I downloaded a cheeky early leaked version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

So what's the likelihood that Neville drops the belt to Zayn at R Evolution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really liked the Kevin Owens introduction vignette.

They called them first.

That was very heelish of Zayn. Can see him doing whatever it takes to win. Maybe Owens helps with the victory. Unless it's a way to write Zayn out for some reason.

This is one brand I'm happier not knowing what's going to happen. Will be a surprise.

So what's the likelihood that Neville drops the belt to Zayn at R Evolution?

I honestly don't know in the tipped off on the finish sense. I was told on the night of the NXT TV taping that Owens would debut at R Evolution and in a big way.

Itami, Balor and Owens all being babyfaces would make little sense. Doubly so if you check out the entire NXT male roster and view how lob sided it is in terms of babyfaces. To me given the roster balance, the stipulation, Zayn's history as the masked El Generico (kayfabe broken :p), Zayn & Owen's history together and the long term story NXT has been telling of Zayn never winning when it matters. I can't but think Owens screws Zayn. If NXT wants Owen to be heel the only way the Full Sail crowd will boo him is if he costs the beloved Zayn his shot at the NXT title.

• Advertisement

http://masonsringsideview.blogspot.ie/2014/12/nxt-orlando-12-4-14.html

The Orlando live event had some weird matches Sami Zayn vs Finn Balor vs Viktor vs Adrian Neville headlining & Bayley and as a babyface Carmella vs Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks.

645jFK1.jpg

Not sure if I am comfortable with this lads.

Sure give it 5 mins and Carmella will turn on Bayley.
    And think Carmella has to be face since she's with Enzo and Cass. Or is that the part you're not liking?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sure give it 5 mins and Carmella will turn on Bayley.
    And think Carmella has to be face since she's with Enzo and Cass. Or is that the part you're not liking?

I guess she is hardwired in my head as being a heel. The very first thing I have ever heard is that Carmella is the "New Jersey Maryse". Enzo and Cass are babyfaces obviously I assume Enzo will eventually win her over. Also it increasingly looks like Charlotte is being called up. Charlotte is working this weekend's WWE live events and the RAW & Smackdown tapings. So NXT will be down a babyface.

NXT announced this last night:
    https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/540713439367553025

Heard Graves had a second opinion on his head injury (concussion) pending but I'd be really surprised if he announces his return. He has been working in a production capacity for NXT and has most recently done the same thing with at Raw and Smackdown tapings. He has also been spotted practising being a commentator in the production room at the WWE Performance Center.

The timing hasn't gone unnoticed by people who I've asked about this. This comes after the CM Punk interviews and claims of talent mistreatment. WWE announcing Graves's in ring career is over but we are looking after him is great damage limitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Just wanted to say I agree with the above posts that Owens/Steen could well come in as a heel. The last video could easily be spun into "they didn't deserve to be called before I did and I'll show it". Which isn't a bad way to bring him in actually. I know rovert mentioned this before but it's noticeable on NXT that they're referencing the new guys' previous indie careers a lot.

Such a great use of Regal

Wrestling Observer:
    Tessa Blanchard, the daughter of Tully Blanchard, is getting a WWE tryout this weekend.

BxllFCgCEAA0DbF.jpg

She only debuted in June this year but there's a lot of buzz about her. Fans and promoters have been tripping over themselves praising her. WWE is all over the Carolinas this week. WWE have kept tabs on her since day one and have scouted her at shows before. Charlotte is at the live events and TVs this week too.

I'm raging that I have to work Wednesday night now so I won't get to see this live. However, I am probably more excited about this event than I was for Survivor Series. There's more championships on the line at this event anyway, ha ha. I hope Neville wins again.

I'm raging that I have to work Wednesday night now so I won't get to see this live. However, I am probably more excited about this event than I was for Survivor Series. There's more championships on the line at this event anyway, ha ha. I hope Neville wins again.

It is on technically in the early hours of Friday morning at 01:30.

• Advertisement

What a ride:
    B42CbaPIQAAWFWB.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement