Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to change nameservers

• 12-01-2013 3:40pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I changed hosting providers a month ago and haven't been able to get my Wordpress site up and running on the new hosting yet. :o

When I've tried to set up the FTP client I get the message "Connection attempt failed with "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known".

I saw on this page when I Googled that it could be a name servers problems. I remember redirecting all name servers before leaving my last hosting.
    I have 5 domains. Could it be a problem that I have them all on the one hosting with shared IPs?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Do a whois lookup on the domains to see which nameservers they're using.
    They probably should be set to your hosting provider's namservers. If you're not sure what those are then check with them - it's probably in their documentation

You can check here http://whoowns.it/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for your help Blacknight! Next time my hosting is up for renewel I'll definitely be switching over to your service. My current hosting people are nightmares!

I have one more slight issue. Trying to change permissions in order to be able to upload to Wordpress. Currently it's saying "Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2013/02. Is its parent directory writable by the server?"

I know from Googling that one should change permissions. But each website seems to think we should know how to do this. I should probably hire a professional, but just before I throw in the towel can anyone point me in the right direction? The website is for a very low budget social project so we really don't want to spend money on the website. We only need a basic Wordpress site. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Here ya go http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

Though I find when changing permissions with an FTP client such as filezilla, it rarely takes effect.

So just follow the same steps, but use your hosts webFTP, usually acessable form your control panel.

Also as a side note, your hosting provider may have a one click install for wordpress. Who's your host?

KonFusion wrote: »
    Here ya go http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

Though I find when changing permissions with an FTP client such as filezilla, it rarely takes effect.

So just follow the same steps, but use your hosts webFTP, usually acessable form your control panel.

Also as a side note, your hosting provider may have a one click install for wordpress. Who's your host?

Digiweb. I presumed they did as any other hosting providers has had a one click install. But not Digiweb. :(

dory wrote: »
    Digiweb. I presumed they did as any other hosting providers has had a one click install. But not Digiweb. :(

Indeed. I personally hate hsphere, with cpanel being my favourite. I dislike blacknight's interface too however (very Plesky? Bleuuggh. Sorry blacknight) but that's beside the point.

Installing wordpress is fairly straightforward.

Digiweb have some resources which may be of use:

http://support.digiweb.ie/questions/3818/Installing+Wordpress+on+our+linux+hosting

http://support.hosting.digiweb.ie/installing-wordpress-step-by-step-guide/

This may also be of use re: file permissions

http://www.hsphereassist.com/help2/password_protection/file_permissions.htm

If you really, really get stuck, you could easily find someone to install wordpress and get it up and running for you for 100 quid or less, depending on where you look.

But there's a wealth of info out there on how to get wordpress up and running. Google and youtube are your friends. Once you're not in a rush, keep at it. You'll probably learn some handy stuff along the way.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

I have WP up and running. But without fixing permissions I can't do anything. It won't allow me to update Wordpress, install a theme or install my .xml file that has a backup of my old WP installation with all posts/comments etc. I've been watching some tutorials on that site, thanks. Hopefully will be able to crack this nut soon!

Managed to change permissions!! Still getting this message though: Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2013/02. Is its parent directory writable by the server? :(

SCRAP THAT!! I think I have this sorted! Had changed permissions to the website's folder, not the WP-content one. Thought the main one would be all-emcompassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You might want to try WinSCP as your FTP client. F9/ right-click to change properties on your folder of choice.

Also when you change the permissions of a parent folder/directory, you usually also have to change the permissions of all child folders too. (There's usally a tick box along the lines of "apply to all sub/child directories")

Advertisement