Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge top 50 greatest developers

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I know Bethesda are at #20, but I would have placed them within the top ten. They have done the RPG genre a great justice over the last two decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Mojang is the only misstep on that list.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

gizmo wrote: »
    Steam makes Valve a fantastic publisher, not developer. In terms of actual games, DOTA hasn't actually been released yet and CS:GO is simply an update to an older franchise whose primary objective was to bring the PC-orientated series to a consoles so again, no dice.

Do Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress not count?

I'd definitely pick Valve at the top. They make fantastic games, and they've also drastically changed the face of digital distribution on the pc.

Steam makes Valve a fantastic publisher, not developer.

Well, Valve aren't even a publisher in the traditional sense, they don't finance all those games on steam, after all.
    I guess it makes them a retailer, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kiith wrote: »
    Do Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress not count?
    In the context of a list of more recent and/or modern developers? Nope. Back in 2007/2008 and the release of The Orange Box they should have been ahead by a country mile. If you were to argue that games released since the late nineties (Half-Life: 1998) should be included then I'd argue Nintendo EAD should have a firm grip on the top spot.

EDIT...
    I'd definitely pick Valve at the top. They make fantastic games, and they've also drastically changed the face of digital distribution on the pc.
    Well, Valve aren't even a publisher in the traditional sense, they don't finance all those games on steam, after all.
    I guess it makes them a retailer, really.
    Actually yea, I guess that's true. They're basically a modern day bricks and mortar store, they handle distribution and take their cut along the way. The fact that they often provide easy access to large quantities of those games for extremely discounted prices doesn't warrant special treatment in a list of the world's top game developers however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Mojang? WTF? I had to look them up. They have only done minecraft. That is it. I won't read any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

The fact that they often provide easy access to large quantities of those games for extremely discounted prices doesn't warrant special treatment in a list of the world's top game developers however.
    Are Valve a developer? Yes. Are Valve massively significant in shaping the PC gaming platform? Yes. Is Gabe Newell something of a visionary (or at least perceived as such) in the games industry? Yes. Should Valve be on a list of relevant contemporary developers? Of course

I don't see the point of splitting hairs here. Valve still excites people and is clearly a hugely influential, or at least prominent, PC developer
    In the context of a list of more recent and/or modern developers? Nope
    Why would you suggest that TF2 is no longer influential or an important piece of the PC gaming firmament? The last I checked it had received a content update less than a month ago and the F2P/Hats economy remains very much relevant today
    Grimebox wrote:
    Mojang? WTF? I had to look them up. They have only done minecraft. That is it. I won't read any further.
    You had to look up the developer of what is almost certainly the most influential PC game of the past decade? Really?

Reekwind wrote: »
    You had to look up the developer of what is almost certainly the most influential PC game of the past decade? Really?

I played minecraft for about an hour and moved on. It wasn't for me, I don't care for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Here's the published list with Edge's justifications for their choices:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/edge-developer-awards-2013-the-top-50-studios-working-today/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The fact that they often provide easy access to large quantities of those games for extremely discounted prices doesn't warrant special treatment in a list of the world's top game developers however.

Pretty much, and if it does......then, as was posted before, where the hell is CD Project? They take ancient out of production PC games, re-engineer them to work on modern PC's with no DRM (but not always a 100% work rate) and sell them for at most $10...and have ridiculous sales too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Grimebox wrote: »
    I played minecraft for about an hour and moved on. It wasn't for me, I don't care for it.
    But can you see how its distribution model, simplicity of design and progressively generated world are highly influential on the way games are evolving?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But can you see how its distribution model, simplicity of design and progressively generated world are highly influential on the way games are evolving?

You're right, I don't know anything about Mojang. What was their distribution model? I'm fairly sure I bought it from Notch's site

I think minecraft took off when I was fed up with the industries obsession with open-world sandbox style games. I prefer some form of linearity, a dialogue with the player. Minecraft did the exact opposite. I probably should have given it more time

Are Valve a developer? Yes. Are Valve massively significant in shaping the PC gaming platform? Yes. Is Gabe Newell something of a visionary (or at least perceived as such) in the games industry? Yes. Should Valve be on a list of relevant contemporary developers? Of course

I don't see the point of splitting hairs here. Valve still excites people and is clearly a hugely influential, or at least prominent, PC developer
    I firmly believe they should be listed of course, just not at the top of it. As I've said, the list was about game developers so one should focus on the game development efforts of the companies in question. There's no doubt Valve have accomplished great things with Steam I just think they're irrelevant in this context.
    Why would you suggest that TF2 is no longer influential or an important piece of the PC gaming firmament? The last I checked it had received a content update less than a month ago and the F2P/Hats economy remains very much relevant today
    Again, all relevant to their presence in the charts, just not at the top when compared to the more recent efforts of other developers.
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Pretty much, and if it does......then, as was posted before, where the hell is CD Project? They take ancient out of production PC games, re-engineer them to work on modern PC's with no DRM (but not always a 100% work rate) and sell them for at most $10...and have ridiculous sales too.
    I was actually going to use them in a comparison to Valve. The difference is, CD Projekt RED is, strictly speaking, the development arm of that collection of companies so it's easier to differentiate their efforts from that of their sister/parent companies. :)
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Most of which was a continuation of the work begun with Infiniminer so again, while praise is most certainly due, at some stage continued updates to an already wildly successful title should only carry you so far in a list such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'd just like to chip in and state that the list is garbage. :pac:

Neither Treasure nor Clover, and a bunch of studios that have put out 2-3 games that weren't even any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Clover don't exist anymore!!!! Of course they aren't included. Platinum are number four, which is effectively the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I firmly believe they should be listed of course, just not at the top of it. As I've said, the list was about game developers so one should focus on the game development efforts of the companies in question. There's no doubt Valve have accomplished great things with Steam I just think they're irrelevant in this context.

Again, all relevant to their presence in the charts, just not at the top when compared to the more recent efforts of other developers.

I was actually going to use them in a comparison to Valve. The difference is, CD Projekt RED is, strictly speaking, the development arm of that collection of companies so it's easier to differentiate their efforts from that of their sister/parent companies. :)

Most of which was a continuation of the work begun with Infiniminer so again, while praise is most certainly due, at some stage continued updates to an already wildly successful title should only carry you so far in a list such as this.

Who would you have at #1 then ? Since valve strated releasing games on the source engine they have released:

Half life 2 ( Aswel as episode 1 + 2 )
    CS:S + CS:GO
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead 1 + 2
    Portal 1 + 2
    Dota 2 (it may Aswel be released !!)

All of which have done well (or extremely well) critically. So that's 9 games and a few expansions in 9 years.

Good enough for me anyway.

Magill wrote: »
    Who would you have at #1 then ? Since valve strated releasing games on the source engine they have released:

Half life 2 ( Aswel as episode 1 + 2 )
    CS:S + CS:GO
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead 1 + 2
    Portal 1 + 2
    Dota 2 (it may Aswel be released !!)

All of which have done well (or extremely well) critically. So that's 9 games and a few expansions in 9 years.

Good enough for me anyway.
    Well if you're drawing the line at the release of Half Life 2 then I'd be inclined to say Valve. The further back you push the line, the stronger Nintendo EAD become. Pull it closer to 2012, the stronger some of the other entrants come as I explained above. The problem is that based on the list as originally presented, it was impossible to tell where that line was being drawn.

The official link johnny_ultimate provided does shed some more light on the list though, this is a list of the top 50 studios working today and their criteria is pretty damn open ended. In light of that (and with the knowledge that we'll probably never get any kind of concensus :)), I'll just go with Nintendo EAD as my number one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Well if you're drawing the line at the release of Half Life 2 then I'd be inclined to say Valve. The further back you push the line, the stronger Nintendo EAD become. Pull it closer to 2012, the stronger some of the other entrants come as I explained above. The problem is that based on the list as originally presented, it was impossible to tell where that line was being drawn.

The official link johnny_ultimate provided does shed some more light on the list though, this is a list of the top 50 studios working today and their criteria is pretty damn open ended. In light of that (and with the knowledge that we'll probably never get any kind of concensus :)), I'll just go with Nintendo EAD as my number one.

They would probably be my 1 2. Valve would still be #1 for me because their games are better on average. Nintendo EAD is basically 5 developers rolled into one.. So it has more than a few rotten eggs, insane amount of classics over the years tho.

If today we were told both valve and nintendo were announcing a new game at e3, i know which i would be more excited about.

Here's the published list with Edge's justifications for their choices:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/edge-developer-awards-2013-the-top-50-studios-working-today/

This ought to be required reading before any more bitching about the list.
    It's pretty clear about the why of studios being on the list.

Even if I still think mojang don't deserve to be there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Even if I still think mojang don't deserve to be there.

Neither does Notch...apparently.
    PcGamer wrote:
    In a show of humility, Notch expressed skepticism over Twitter after Edge Magazine named Mojang the number two game studio working today. The emperors of indie came in just behind Valve at the top spot, with the two of them making up the only PC developers in the top five.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/14/notch-mojang-valve-edge/

• Advertisement

Neither does Notch...apparently.

Well, much like a stopped clock I guess he's occasionally right.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

Based on their criteria, Rovio should be in top 10 and it's not even there.

Advertisement