Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnosed with IBS but no diarrhea or constripation

Options
  • 12-01-2013 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I have had severe cramping/spasming in my abdomen since Thursday evening. My normally flat stomach was all swollen from under my ribcage the whole way down.

The pain was chronic, I was going to go to a&e on thursday night it was so bad only the vomiting bug was up there.

Went to the doc yesterday and she said she was 100% sure it was IBS and gave me a perscription for Colofac.

She suggested that I keep a food diary and read up on the internet about foods that trigger an attack.

On 'reading up' I noticed that nearly every single person that has IBS either has severe diarrhea or severe constipation with it, neither of which I have.

I'm not looking for medical advice but just wondering is there anyone else out there that suffers from IBS but only has severe cramping pain, bloating, pressure, headache and a bit of a temperature.

The colofac aren't working and I've since got Colpermin but as yet there hasn't been much relief.

I have been extremely stressed lately which I am almost sure has triggered this but I want it to go away as I am finding it extremely difficult to deal with the pain.

Solphadeine, Nurofen plus, Alka Seltzer...nothing is working for the pain and neither of the above are working for the spams and the pain is radiating out my back as well.

This is the second time in the last 6 months I have been to the doc about this and both times she has said the same thing but this time it is lasting much longer and is much more severe than the last time I had it.

Any advice...I have to go back to work next week and my job is standing which is a killer for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Go to A&E. I'm not a doctor but I had severe abdominal pain with bloating that turned out to be a bowel obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Go to A&E. I'm not a doctor but I had severe abdominal pain with bloating that turned out to be a bowel obstruction.

Did they find this out by doing an x-ray and how long were you there before you were seen?

The pain and swelling is also on the left side, under the stomach heart. My top left ab is sticking out and the bottom left side just inside the hip bone is swollen, things look and feel normal enough on the right side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you go to A&E then be prepared to wait for anything up to 12 hours to be seen.

Personally, I'd just go to a different GP for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'd visit A&E if you're finding it that severe or visit another GP for a deferential diagnosis/second opinion

• Advertisement

If you go to A&E then be prepared to wait for anything up to 12 hours to be seen.

Personally, I'd just go to a different GP for a second opinion.

That's what I was thinking and I'd be sure to catch the norovirus, the place is basically closed except for emergencies.

Would I be correct in thinking that if there was an obstruction I wouldn't be able 'to go' because I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

That's what I was thinking and I'd be sure to catch the norovirus, the place is basically closed except for emergencies.

Would I be correct in thinking that if there was an obstruction I wouldn't be able 'to go' because I am.

Not really, it could be a partial obstruction.

when I went to A&E in CUH it was 7 AM & I was seen very quickly because I was in such pain. Diagnosed with abdominal scan.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    when I went to A&E in CUH it was 7 AM & I was seen very quickly because I was in such pain. Diagnosed with abdominal scan.

Do you mind me asking what treatment you received?

Kept in for a week on saline drip, no food, but pain went away after a couple of days. Not a nice experience but neither was the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

op this is veering far too much into medical advice territory.

you need to see another gp or else attend a&e.

thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement