Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 - can't connect to Xbox live

Options
  • 12-01-2013 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I've gotten a new laptop which has windows 8 and I can't get my Xbox to connect to it. My previous laptop was an XP, where I just shared my internet connection to the LAN and it worked fine.

I've done the exact same steps on my windows 8 laptop and it just doesn't work. I share my o2 broadband connection with the Ethernet but under Ethernet icon it says "unidentified network". I've been looking up solutions for couple hours but couldn't find the right one.

Any help would be really appreciated!!! Driving me nuts

P.S: I'm using the original Ethernet cable that came with the Xbox. I'm pretty sure it's a straight through but I've seen people say you need a crossover for ICS to work? Confused me a bit since it was working with XP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Shouldnt need a crossover cable, modern gear auto switches most of the time.

Try selecting the 3G connection and ethernet at the same time, then right click and hit bridge. That should get you online.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭darren2368

ED E wrote: »
    Shouldnt need a crossover cable, modern gear auto switches most of the time.

Try selecting the 3G connection and Ethernet at the same time, then right click and hit bridge. That should get you online.

Tried that but it wouldn't let me bridge with the broadband connection, only the Ethernet. Have a look at the picture if you're a bit confused.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

darren2368 wrote: »
    Tried that but it wouldn't let me bridge with the broadband connection, only the Ethernet. Have a look at the picture if you're a bit confused.

Hold CTRL and click Ethernet & 3g. Then see if you can bridge the two? May work

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭darren2368

yoyo wrote: »
    Hold CTRL and click Ethernet & 3g. Then see if you can bridge the two? May work

Nick

Nope had already tried that. Don't know what Microsoft have done but it's so much harder to share a connection now.

Advertisement