Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Textbooks?????

• 12-01-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Our school never provided us with a textbook for biology, and I'm at the point where I'm desperate for one. Before purchasing one, I would appreciate any reviews on some.
    Also, any comments on Bio by John Loughlin / educate.ie ?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I have a green book called biology by Michael o Callaghan and I think it's amazing.. I find the subject really interesting and there's loads of facts and stuff.. I make my own notes up from it and my teachers notes ..

If your in leaving cert already I don't know how good it would be as there is a lot of information in it .. I heard revise wise biology is good but I haven't got it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sparkyhav

Thanks, I don't have the leaving cert until next year, but im still anxious. I heard alot about Revise Wise as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Sparkyhav wrote: »
    Thanks, I don't have the leaving cert until next year, but im still anxious. I heard alot about Revise Wise as well :)

it depends what grade you want. If you want an A get the book by michael o callaghan. If you want a B revise will do you with the exam papers

To be honest, I'm looking for a textbook, not a revision book :) I've heard about the book by Michael O Callaghan and it really looks good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

To be honest, I'm looking for a textbook, not a revision book :) I've heard about the book by Michael O Callaghan and it really looks good :)

oh that book is perfect. I got an A with it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Sunny!! wrote: »
    it depends what grade you want. If you want an A get the book by michael o callaghan. If you want a B revise will do you with the exam papers

A book is not going to buy you an A grade. It might help but at the end of the day it's yourself that gets the grades.

OP, I would recommend going through exam papers and marking schemes as much as you can. The Leaving Cert Biology textbook by Michael O' Callaghan is excellent and he also is the author of the revise wise book so having both isn't that necessary. The book is great and with constant practice of exam questions and using the marking scheme to correct the answers, it will be hugely beneficial to you in the end.

Any comments on Bio by John Loughlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Our school never provided us with a textbook for biology, and I'm at the point where I'm desperate for one. Before purchasing one, I would appreciate any reviews on some.

I think my book was called New Senior Biology. It was an averagely written book but the reason we used it was because my teacher wrote it. My teacher also wrote the biology syllabus, so if you want to be sure you get all the detail (which is what makes A1's in bio), get that book.

New Senior Biology by Kevin Maume and Siobhan Scott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

i have 'essential exam revision' by sarah dilleen and it is absolutely brilliant i actually couldn't do biology without it, i also have the green michael o callaghan one but i think the sarah dilleen one is 10 times better. i totally recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

Yes Micheal o callaghan one is good but not for definitions he can leave bits out everynow and again that are in the marking schemes (slight details that will cost you a grade)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

All the books have strenghts and weaknesses.

Personally, on the basis of accuracy to the actual curriculum I prefer New Senior Biology.

The Michael O'Callaghan one is very popular. It's good enough but there is an incredible amount of waffle in it. There's a few part that aren't entirely accurate either. For me anyway, I'd prefer the texts to be concise, well illustrated and with good questions, and leave the extra but relevant information to the teacher to discuss.

I do really like the Sarah Dileen revision book. It's very well laid out - not a substitute for a good text or a teacher, but excellent for revision.

Ive heard quite few reviews on the Sarah Dileen revision book and my teacher also recommended it, will definitely consider purchasing it along with a biology textbook, undecided yet with textbook, although I'm steering towards the Michael o'Callaghan book :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I have bio and find it good . I use it IMG with notes as I feel my biology teacher is very good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

With my notes. *

Do you find it relevant to questions on the Leaving cert tho?

Advertisement