Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low final specific gravity

Options
  • 12-01-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi guys..Just brewing my first homebrew using a Coopers Australian larger kit. The original specific gravity was 1033. Currently after 7 days the specific gravity is 1001. The temperature of the fermentation has been approx. 20-22C.

Just wondering is there a reason why the specific gravity readings are so low. How will this effect the final taste of the beer or is there a chance that there is an infection....:confused:

Thanks for all replies.. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Hi guys..Just brewing my first homebrew using a Coopers Australian larger kit. The original specific gravity was 1033. Currently after 7 days the specific gravity is 1001. The temperature of the fermentation has been approx. 20-22C.

Just wondering is there a reason why the specific gravity readings are so low. How will this effect the final taste of the beer or is there a chance that there is an infection....:confused:

Thanks for all replies.. :)

Not sure how it will affect the flavour/taste of the brew. Only real way to tell is aste a lil sample of the brew. Never brewed this kit before so couldn't be sure what it's supposed to taste/look like at this stage of the brew. On those figures you should end up with a brew of about 4.6%ABV (including the .5% you add on for bottling).

I'd say go ahead and bottle or rack to Secondary (whatever you were planning to do) after you get two FG the same and let time tell you how the low FG reading has affected the brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

That OG looks very low. Did you add too much water?

You need to remember to correct for temperature also. There are loads of ABV calculators online that can help.

Advertisement