Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found roundworms in my puppy's faeces.

• 12-01-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

Our puppy is just over 4 months now and we have vaccinated and wormed and flead him. I just gave him his worm tablet this morning and his next isn't due for 3 months.

His bowel movement is healthy as are the stools. We feed him dry puppy nuts in the morning and the night now. He was in the vets last week and the vet said he is healthy and gained weight properly. We feed him a food by Gain at the moment.

My question is...like I said I gave him his worm tablet this morning and we brought him for a walk this afternoon, he did a poo which was more runny than usual and I could clearly see a big white worm which was moving (I think it was a round worm). Does this mean the tablet is doing its job or does he have a severe case and need more tablets ASAP?

I am not a squeamish person but the movement of the worm disgusted me. :eek: Our puppy isn't bloated, he eats well, his stools are fine and no worm was visible before and his coat is white and fluffy and healthy.

We have flead and wormed our cat also around the same time as the dog to be on the safe side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Probably not a bad dose if his stomach isn't swollen. My dog had a lot of worms when we got him and the tablets had him throwing them up everywhere and there were loads in his poo so i wouldn't worry to much about one worm. Id give your vet a call and see if they think he should have another tablet or if the one you gave was enough. They really are disgusting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I might just do that, thank you. I think they are still open so yes. I was just a bit worried. I'm not sure how the tablets work, do they kill or "remove" the worms after the tablet is taken or what? It was disgusting to actually see though. Your poor dog, I'm lucky he didnt get sick.

I just rang the vet now and they said that the tablet is doing it's job but rather than wait another 3 months, it's best I get another tablet in a month to be sure the dog will be OK. I'd rather not see a big moving spaghetti in his faeces ever again. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Glad you got sorted. We were almost throwing up alongside the dog never seen anything so horrible as those worms wriggling around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I found the roundworms in my puppy as well when I gave him the tablet one month ago..
    tomorrow I will give him another one and I really hope to not see them again.. it's disgusting!!!
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

its just the tablet doing its job some have a mild laxative effect to help with the expulsion of worms you may see more tomorrow without movement

He hasn't done another poo since but he's due one soon so I'll find out then. Like I said though, I swear I'm not sqeamish, but this was rotten. I'll give him another tablet in a few weeks. :)

This is normal. Don't worry. All pups have them from their mothers.

Advertisement