Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing movies from laptop to tv

Options
  • 12-01-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

i have movies saved on my laptop, i have a ferguson arivia 250, if i save movies on to a usb stick can i play them on the above mentioned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

Hi benji - I don't have one myself, but from looking at the Ariva 250 page on the Ferguson website as long as the movie is in a format that the ariva can decode (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264), which would cover the most common formats, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Your main issue could be the codecs. I've a 120 and it doesn't play many of my movies due to codec problems. Nevertheless I can play them on the laptop and connect them to display on the TV via a HDMI cable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Look into getting soemething like a Western Digital WDTV medial player, they are really good. Plays almost anything and pulls it straight frm your pc over the network.

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

If you connect a usb directly to the tv via a USB the quality is downgraded and looks terrible. Better off connecting a HDMI cable or getting a media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

areyawell wrote: »
    If you connect a usb directly to the tv via a USB the quality is downgraded and looks terrible. Better off connecting a HDMI cable or getting a media player.

Is this in reference to this specific tv or in general?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Several ways I've done it over the years

S-Video with audio jacks
    VGA with audio jacks
    HDMI cable
    NAS to Raspberry pi
    Transcode from laptop to media server on tv

I now have a dedicated HTPC under my tv that is connected via hdmi to the tv and to all my other devices; NAS n laptop over the network I usually stream to it now

My problem with plugging hardrives directly into the tv is a lot of videos don't play because of codec issues and there is loss of quality sometimes due to the way the tv scales the video to fit the screen

Advertisement