Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know this bike?

• 12-01-2013 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3970153

She's a beauty, seems to have been on donedeal for feckin ages tho!

Seems a bit pricey imo, tho its very well kitted out.
    English reg too, not sure why the owner hasnt had it reg'ed here yet.
    Anyone know it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

terrydel wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3970153

She's a beauty, seems to have been on donedeal for feckin ages tho!

Seems a bit pricey imo, tho its very well kitted out.
    English reg too, not sure why the owner hasnt had it reg'ed here yet.
    Anyone know it?

That's what my dad rides
    He's 72 and had to have a new kneecap cos he put his knee down on the last bike without sliders.
    But it loads of my mates ride yellow plates and take advantage of the annominity and a bike like that is better off being ridden progressively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Tigger wrote: »
    ...and had to have a new kneecap cos he put his knee down on the last bike without sliders...

Yock!

Can anyone explain what a bike like this is for? Is it a touring bike? Some kind of crossover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Your man has been trying to flog that for ages. Price is too high imo, you'd get one in the UK for less and VRT is not that high.

There is a huge selection of KTMs in the UK, proper tricked out beauties. Bear in mind there are only two dealers here, KTM Dublin (who I wouldn't go near again with a 10 foot barge pole) and McCallens in the North so that's probably why there a lot here on foreign plates. My bf has the Superduke, it's been in Ireland since 2007 and it's still on foreign plates because the previous owner never took it out.

I'd see it as a touring bike definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Your man has been trying to flog that for ages. Price is too high imo, you'd get one in the UK for less and VRT is not that high.

There is a huge selection of KTMs in the UK, proper tricked out beauties. Bear in mind there are only two dealers here, KTM Dublin (who I wouldn't go near again with a 10 foot barge pole) and McCallens in the North so that's probably why there a lot here on foreign plates. My bf has the Superduke, it's been in Ireland since 2007 and it's still on foreign plates because the previous owner never took it out.

I'd see it as a touring bike definitely.
    Thanks for the info.
    Yes it has been on donedeal for bloody ages.
    What would you offer for it yourself?
    Think vrt is around 600.

Thanks for the info.
    Yes it has been on donedeal for bloody ages.
    What would you offer for it yourself?
    Think vrt is around 600.

Well VRT goes down considerably if the bike has over 6,000 miles on it (I think it's 6,000, it's either 6,000 or 5,000). VRT on himself's 07 Superduke with nearly 8,000 on it will be €400.

Not my style of bike so I wouldn't offer anything but you'd get a lovely tricked out one in the UK for around €2,000 less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

It's extremely overpriced hence the not selling. He has priced it higher than most UK 990SMT's of the same year and seems to forget that they actually have a decent bike market. Millsport up North have one at the moment for 5995 sterling.

And as for what its for? It's one of the most fun and best all round road bikes by miles. It's a KTM 990SM with a fairing and a comfortable seat. It's not a tourer but its comfortable enough for one person and is one of the best bikes you can get for messing and one of the fastest down a proper bumpy twisty backroad.
    They do suck on straights though!
    I have a lot more fun, more of the time on my 950SM than on my 09 R1 with about 10k worth of mods

batman_oh wrote: »
    It's extremely overpriced hence the not selling. He has priced it higher than most UK 990SMT's of the same year and seems to forget that they actually have a decent bike market. Millsport up North have one at the moment for 5995 sterling.

And as for what its for? It's one of the most fun and best all round road bikes by miles. It's a KTM 990SM with a fairing and a comfortable seat. It's not a tourer but its comfortable enough for one person and is one of the best bikes you can get for messing and one of the fastest down a proper bumpy twisty backroad.
    I have a lot more fun, more of the time on my 950SM than on my 09 R1 with about 10k worth of mods

Any links to the one in millsports mate?
    Can't find it on the web myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Stg 5995 isn't cheaper. Convert to € and add VRT would make the N.I. bike €8285 - which means his asking price is €500 higher. Factor in travelling to the N.I. one, and haggling the DD one, and it'd be damn near the same price.

Tbh I've been watching that bike too, also wondering why it's still on the market. Imho it's the perfect type of bike for this island. I hope to get a new bike sometime before '13 is out, and the Multistrada is one of the bikes on my list. But there's a KTM passes my door most Sundays and boy does it sound good, so this SMT has crossed my mind more than once.

Only thing though, is I don't know anyone with a KTM, so it's bit of an unknown qty. What are they like reliability-wise, I wonder....?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Any links to the one in millsports mate?
    Can't find it on the web myself.

Of course it's gone now that I say that! Was for sale during the week but somebody must have bought it. There was one on donedeal recently for 6500 on a UK plate. Just have to find the right seller. Unfortunately there's feck all bikes in this country from 09 onwards.

This one and the other black and grey one on donedeal at the mo looking for 8k have both been for sale for nearly a year. Stubborn owners! The new 1190 Adventure should see a load of them 2nd hand in the UK during this year too - and they have reduced the price on new ones to 8995 sterling in most dealers.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Stg 5995 isn't cheaper. Convert to € and add VRT would make the N.I. bike €8285 - which means his asking price is €500 higher. Factor in travelling to the N.I. one, and haggling the DD one, and it'd be damn near the same price.

Tbh I've been watching that bike too, also wondering why it's still on the market. Imho it's the perfect type of bike for this island. I hope to get a new bike sometime before '13 is out, and the Multistrada is one of the bikes on my list. But there's a KTM passes my door most Sundays and boy does it sound good, so this SMT has crossed my mind more than once.

Only thing though, is I don't know anyone with a KTM, so it's bit of an unknown qty. What are they like reliability-wise, I wonder....?

This bike is on an English plate too so you have to add VRT to this as well. And its a private sale and in a ****ty market where all bikes are cheaper. So it shouldn't be dearer than a dealer price. You can't expect to price a bike for sale privately here the same as a dealer in the UK and sell it in this day and age! It's absolutely an utterly miles over priced for what it is. I know a guy who sold a 2009 Repsol Fireblade with 4000km on it and nice extras and managed to get 7800. And that was on an Irish plate and is a more expensive bike to begin with.

Here's a 2012 in a UK dealer - 9200 excluding VRT for the updated ABS model with better fuelling and warranty. 500 quid more than the base asking price of the donedeal one

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212194675168/sort/recpriceascdefault/usedbikes/cc-from/900cc/model/supermoto/make/ktm/radius/1501/quicksearch/true/postcode/se18hp/page/5/advert-type/standard-listing?logcode=ucnnp

and again a 2012 with updates and warranty remaining for less than he's asking
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-990-SMT-ABS-/321044734796?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4abfc1e34c

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »

I have a 2012 690 Duke, bought brand new in August. The bike is perfect, the shop I bought it from were the problem. If you are thinking of buying a KTM stay well away from KTM Dublin.

The bike has never let me down, aside from when I first got it and KTM Dublin had not carried out their proper checks on delivery - despite signing a form saying they had - and it turned out the bike had a loose earth going to the battery which would've been spotted had the checks actually been carried out. For about 3 weeks - because KTM Dublin basically couldn't give 2 ****s once they got their money off me - I had trouble starting the bike and it conked at lights on me a few times. My local mechanic had a think about it, first thing he checked was the connections to the battery and it took him all of 10 seconds to fix the problem. I then got him to check over the whole bike because if a bike shop can miss something that simple who knows what else they could've missed. That wasn't the only problem I had with KTM Dublin but I'll be here all day if I delve into their ineptitude.

She's great fun to ride, great for commuting and having the craic, guzzles juice compared to my CB400 and my old CBR250, that's the only flaw really. Fill the tank with €20-€22 (depending on the price of petrol) and get about 250kms out of it.

I read a review of the Duke in MCN this week and I really think it shouldn't have been published. The lad testing the bike obviously got a bad apple, if you read the article you'll understand what I'm talking about. He had serious problems with the bike and even states in the article that it was being sent back to the factory for examination.

Himself has the Superduke and he has had serious problems with the front brakes sticking (he's going to service the calipers and a few other bits but apparently it's common enough in the Superdukes) but aside from that, no other issues. Same as myself, great fun and guzzles petrol (even with the bigger tank fitted).

This bike is on an English plate too so you have to add VRT to this as well.

Jeebus I'm blind, I missed that completely - you're right - now it is too dear !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

..... great fun and guzzles petrol (even with the bigger tank fitted).

tks for the post - interesting stuff.

I have to say, though, having rented an F800R last year which ran on fumes, and was fun doing it, that there's no excuse for a light bike to guzzle juice - I have a car that does that already, thanks !

Ode To The Motorist

One thing I will say in fairness to the 990 linked on donedeal, is that it is very well specced -
    AKRAPOVIC CARBON TIP EXHAUST
    MARCHESINI WHEELS
    WP FORFS
    WP SHOCK

etc etc.
    So its a lot better specced than others ones that have been linked.
    Tho it is still way over priced!

One thing I will say in fairness to the 990 linked on donedeal, is that it is very well specced -
    AKRAPOVIC CARBON TIP EXHAUST
    MARCHESINI WHEELS
    WP FORFS
    WP SHOCK

etc etc.
    So its a lot better specced than others ones that have been linked.
    Tho it is still way over priced!
    They all come standard with Marchesini wheels, full WP suspension (KTM own them), KTM luggage and Brembo brakes - so he's listed a load of things that aren't extras as extras!
    The Akra cans, hand guards and a few small orange and carbon bits are the only extras - nice stuff but I'd be looking for lower miles/newer rather than a few bits you may or may not want.

They all come standard with Marchesini wheels, full WP suspension (KTM own them), KTM luggage and Brembo brakes - so he's listed a load of things that aren't extras as extras!
    The Akra cans, hand guards and a few small orange and carbon bits are the only extras - nice stuff but I'd be looking for lower miles/newer rather than a few bits you may or may not want.

Cheers for the heads-up mate, I genuinely didnt know the Marchesini wheels where standard, tho had me doubts about the WP suspension.
    The standard luggage is the soft stuff isnt it? Is that fully waterproof?
    Ive been saying for about 3 years Im gonna get a new bike.
    I have my er6n 5.5 years now, I love, its perfect for my commute which is 90% of my use, and I've tricked it out a bit and it still gets plenty of admiring looks.
    But I am a bit bored with it and would like a bike that would give me the option of doing a few trips.
    I love the Multistrada 1200, but its just too expensive and probably wouldnt suit for my commuting anyway.
    The 800 version is interesting but its a brand new model so will cost a bomb.
    These ktm's seem ideal to me, tho i've yet to ride one.
    Do you know what the seat height is like? I'm 5'8'' and half!!

Cheers for the heads-up mate, I genuinely didnt know the Marchesini wheels where standard, tho had me doubts about the WP suspension.
    I have my er6n 5.5 years now, I love, its perfect for my commute which is 90% of my use, and I've tricked it out a bit and it still gets plenty of admiring looks.
    But I am a bit bored with it and would like a bike that would give me the option of doing a few trips.
    I love the Multistrada 1200, but its just too expensive and probably wouldnt suit for my commuting anyway.

I'd fully recommend one of these. The standard luggage isn't great - I reckon grab the KTM hard luggage kit if you want lots of storage or just a top box if you don't need huge amounts. As an overall road bike and something to have fun on there are very few bikes that are even in the same league for me. It's all day comfortable and absolutely amazing when you are messing around or firing it down a twisty backroad. The only issue is they aren't fantastic two up and over 100mph they are fairly dead. For anything other than hyperspeed spins or fast motorway work they are hard to beat. The worst road you can imagine becomes somewhere to have fun!
    The SMT seat height is a good bit lower than the standard SM. I'm just 6 foot and am on my tippy toes on the SM but on the SMT i can put both feet down flat with a bit to spare. They have one in M50 Honda/KTM at Ballymount if you want to try it on for size. I took it out last summer for about 3 hours and loved it.
    The Multistrada is a bit different. I've had a shot of the S and Base version and it's more of a continental tourer/hyper speed comfy bike. It's much bigger and heavier (despite Ducatis claims) than the SMT and it lacks the nimbleness and fun on pure fun - but it is better for longer high speed stuff. Plus the engine is proper mega for something shaped like it is! I'd have one, but they are too expensive at the mo.
    2012-09-02002.jpg

I'm 5ft 7 and had to have the front forks of my Duke lowered just a fraction and then over time the bike naturally adjusted and it's now perfect. I've sat on my bf's Superduke and I can just about get the ball of my foot to the ground on both sides.

I tried to sit up on a friend's 690SMC and I couldn't even get my leg over it!

I'm 5ft 7 and had to have the front forks of my Duke lowered just a fraction and then over time the bike naturally adjusted and it's now perfect. I've sat on my bf's Superduke and I can just about get the ball of my foot to the ground on both sides.

I tried to sit up on a friend's 690SMC and I couldn't even get my leg over it!

SMC you say :D - here's my old 660. Great fun! The 690 is a lot more civilised and would like to be able to grab one again someday
    P1010162.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I wanna duke

that is all.

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Well VRT goes down considerably if the bike has over 6,000 miles on it (I think it's 6,000, it's either 6,000 or 5,000). VRT on himself's 07 Superduke with nearly 8,000 on it will be €400.

Not my style of bike so I wouldn't offer anything but you'd get a lovely tricked out one in the UK for around €2,000 less.

VRT on a bike has absolutely nothing to do with mileage, its age only.

SMC you say :D - here's my old 660. Great fun! The 690 is a lot more civilised and would like to be able to grab one again someday
    P1010162.jpg

That's lovely! Himself wanted the SMC but couldn't get one here so just ended up going for the Superduke. He's mad to get a CCM now.
    cojomo2 wrote: »
    VRT on a bike has absolutely nothing to do with mileage, its age only.

Well I was told that if there is over either 5,000 or 6,000 miles on the bike it affects the cost of VRT so I don't know, it's not gospel or anything but that's just what I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

need to have a certain minimum miles on it, or the gubbermint consider it 'new' and charge ya VAT

Wossack wrote: »
    need to have a certain minimum miles on it, or the gubbermint consider it 'new' and charge ya VAT

Ah maybe that's what it is then, my mistake, cheers

I'd fully recommend one of these. The standard luggage isn't great - I reckon grab the KTM hard luggage kit if you want lots of storage or just a top box if you don't need huge amounts. As an overall road bike and something to have fun on there are very few bikes that are even in the same league for me. It's all day comfortable and absolutely amazing when you are messing around or firing it down a twisty backroad. The only issue is they aren't fantastic two up and over 100mph they are fairly dead. For anything other than hyperspeed spins or fast motorway work they are hard to beat. The worst road you can imagine becomes somewhere to have fun!
    The SMT seat height is a good bit lower than the standard SM. I'm just 6 foot and am on my tippy toes on the SM but on the SMT i can put both feet down flat with a bit to spare. They have one in M50 Honda/KTM at Ballymount if you want to try it on for size. I took it out last summer for about 3 hours and loved it.
    The Multistrada is a bit different. I've had a shot of the S and Base version and it's more of a continental tourer/hyper speed comfy bike. It's much bigger and heavier (despite Ducatis claims) than the SMT and it lacks the nimbleness and fun on pure fun - but it is better for longer high speed stuff. Plus the engine is proper mega for something shaped like it is! I'd have one, but they are too expensive at the mo.
    Thanks for all the advice and info mate.
    I popped up to m50 Honda today, they look great in the flesh. Sat on it and height seems ok.
    Their demo had sold recently so won't have one til end of Feb.
    Im in no rush so will hold out til then.
    Will keep you posted!

Thanks for all the advice and info mate.
    I popped up to m50 Honda today, they look great in the flesh. Sat on it and height seems ok.
    Their demo had sold recently so won't have one til end of Feb.
    Im in no rush so will hold out til then.
    Will keep you posted!

No probs. I'm just about to stick my 950 up for sale as I've located a stupidly cheap 990smr privately in the uk!

No probs. I'm just about to stick my 950 up for sale as I've located a stupidly cheap 990smr privately in the uk!

Stick up a link to both!

Stick up a link to both!

SMR isn't up anywhere. I just got told about one that was for sale months ago that the guy still has so emailed him and he is looking to flog it on!
    I'll put up link to mine in a few

SMR isn't up anywhere. I just got told about one that was for sale months ago that the guy still has so emailed him and he is looking to flog it on!
    I'll put up link to mine in a few

Best of luck with both!

• Advertisement

Best of luck with both!

mine
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4420663
    donedeal really butchers the picture quality!

Advertisement