Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drives Touching

Options
  • 12-01-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi all, just a quick query regarding an old desktop that I just picked up.

It's a Compaq and has only 2 brackets/bays inside the casing, one for the DVD drive and the other for the 3.5" SATA HDD.

I wanted to use a 2.5" SATA HDD that I had lying around for the OS and keep the 3.5" in there also for storage. So I've installed an OS (Mint 13) on the 2.5" and everything is working great.

However as there is no bracket/bay for the 2.5" I have it on top of the 3.5" bay, resting on a book (with space between the 3.5" and the book).

So is this necessary? Can I stack the drives on top of eachother without something in between (even with a bit insulating tape to hold the 2.5" onto the 3.5")?

If not then is the book OK? It's a thin hardcover (like a Ladybird book) and fits well.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I have a hard drive on top of a DVD drive for ages with no problems, so I'm guessing it's not a huge risk, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I had a stack of three running for a while, taped together.

Causes heat issues though, so try screwing a short screw into the four bottom mounting holes, then put it on top of the drive to go below it. This gives a 2-3mm gap for convection currents to do their thing and cool your drives a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

ED E wrote: »
    I had a stack of three running for a while, taped together.

Causes heat issues though, so try screwing a short screw into the four bottom mounting holes, then put it on top of the drive to go below it. This gives a 2-3mm gap for convection currents to do their thing and cool your drives a small bit.

Ha, that's a great idea, using screws as little legs!

I have some medium screws that would do the job nicely and keep the drives a few centimeters apart, tiny bit of tape for stability, sorted. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No probs.

Motherboard ones are good for it as they're fat and stable. Standoffs might even work :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement