Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

men driving mini coopers?....

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Sure men can drive minis, hairdressers need cars to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

gallag wrote: »
    Sure men can drive minis, hairdressers need cars to.

While wearing their skinny jeans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If I was a guy I wouldn't drive a Mini Cooper.

I don't remember those lyrics in the Beyonce song.

I will drive whatever is suitable, don't really care what car I drive tbh, as long as it does what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

True, the original was intended to be a small economical car, the current version is just a fashion statement!

this is pretty much it, having a mini is more like having a fairly expensive purse to people, they think it makes them look cool....it really doesn't!

my cousin wanted no other car but a pink mini....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

hoodwinked wrote: »

this is pretty much it, having a mini is more like having a fairly expensive purse to people, they think it makes them look cool....it really doesn't!

my cousin wanted no other car but a pink mini....
    I hope you killed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not only is the Mini a womans car, but I can narrow it down even further. Blonde women, between the ages of 27-40, generally good looking drive them. I don't think the mini dealers sell them to ugly women.
    Audi TT's, anything made by Hyundai, Beetles (new new ones are ok), MX5's,
    I disagree with Fiat 500's they're acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I see guys wearing pink shirts all the time. Doesn't seem to bother them . Drive what you want, wear what you want .

If anyone says anything tell them to go f.ck them selves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I see guys wearing pink shirts all the time. Doesn't seem to bother them . Drive what you want, wear what you want .

If anyone says anything tell them to go f.ck them selves
    TBH, a pink shirt is more manly than driving a mini. Mini's have a sensor in the drivers seat, if it detects a set of balls the car won't start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Cienciano wrote: »
    TBH, a pink shirt is more manly than driving a mini. Mini's have a sensor in the drivers seat, if it detects a set of balls the car won't start.

I thought pink shirts burst into flames if they only detect one tit inside them instead of two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Theyre a tad overpriced for what they are.

Back in the day Minis were for people who couldnt afford a proper car. Now theyre a fashion statement for those with more money than sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Maybe I suffer from some form of blindness (or I'm just old) but I can't understand the concept of your choice of car saying something profoundly private about your personality and / or sexuality. And if I ever felt tempted to mock someone because of their choice of car, (a la Clarkson) I would rush to confession.
    For me, the COLOUR of the car says more about the personality of the purchaser than the car itself.
    I buy cars to satisfy my transport needs, with other considerations - budget, usage, practicality, road-holding, depreciation, safety, lines, engineering, history, etc. - being minor factors. The Mini, Micra, Fiat 500, Smart, etc. are (in my opinion) excellent examples of engineering for a specific market but Clarkson has concocted sneery messages from each and, unfortunately, these have caught on among Celtic Tiger cubs!

I couldn't live with a dayglow Micra but I'd happily drive one of any "normal" colour for its design spec, i.e. city driving, commutes, shopping, etc. A Mini Cooper? Yes, please.......but not in pink! And I feel like weeping when I see an SLK or Z4 in Tesco's car park. That's just wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Scruffles wrote: »
    forget complaining about the mini for men,check this bad boy out-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nissan_Cube_Z11_003.JPG
    the nissan cube.
    saw a tall bloke getting out of one the other day,that car is tiny and looks soooo awful.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2011/09/Simpsons-Tall-Car-Guy-1317414398.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cienciano wrote: »
    I disagree with Fiat 500's they're acceptable.
    If it's good enough for Michael Schumacher,

though wasn't there a suped up version of the original 500 that was supposed to be a real animal to drive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cancels order for this then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Due to a recent lack of funds on my part I now have to drive my girlfriends Mini Cooper. To be honest they are not value for money at all, there is always stuff wrong with it and as they are BMW parts they cost a small fortune, but it's a decent drive and has a hefty bit of zip to it when you need it.

I couldn't care less how I look in it, I just think it's an impractical car unless you're single and have a spare bit of money to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I drive one and I think it's brilliant. Yes, I am a single 24 year old female, but I seriously can't stand it when people call them "cute" and girls cars. I do not drive one because it's cute or girly. They are very cheap to run, and very handy to drive. And I think they look very nice too.

I drive one and I think it's brilliant. Yes, I am a single 24 year old female, but I seriously can't stand it when people call them "cute" and girls cars. I do not drive one because it's cute or girly. They are very cheap to run, and very handy to drive. And I think they look very nice too.

aka. cute.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

It's got big eyes and its tail tucked between its legs. The Mini is designed to look like a cute puppy, to appeal to the cuddle instinct. It is aimed at young girls. Men are entitled to drive it too, but only to take it for petrol or to get it serviced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You shouldn't drive a mini because it's just a case of overpriced badge selling. There are plenty of other cars that are much better and cheaper than a so called mini.

Man or woman, either look stupid driving one.

It was produced in 1959, I don't know how it could have been aimed at young girls. For some reason, the updated model for some reason has everyone thinking its a cute girly car. I like driving it because it makes me feel like I'm back in the sixties :D

I hate all the other models. Hate the Coupe and whatever the Mini jeep thing is called. They are not Minis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It was produced in 1959, I don't know how it could have been aimed at young girls.
    Originally marketed as "the little car for the little woman"

Heard that somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I don't remember those lyrics in the Beyonce song.

Its in the Madonna song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

op you'll be grand, just stick one of these on your head and no one will bother you.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinderimages/D53749/tommy_cooper_d5374937h.jpg

It was produced in 1959, I don't know how it could have been aimed at young girls. For some reason, the updated model for some reason has everyone thinking its a cute girly car. I like driving it because it makes me feel like I'm back in the sixties :D

I hate all the other models. Hate the Coupe and whatever the Mini jeep thing is called. They are not Minis.
    Mini Moke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Often drive my mams mini they are fairly impractical although I can fit a buggy in the back lol,you do get funny looks off lads in civics and that until you take off at the lights there great fun to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I passed a man, of at least average height, driving a red Mini (original recipe) earlier this evening. It didn't look strange at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

All the Beatles had Minis actually!

Probably got them for nothing to advertise the brand plus shedloads of cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

This is what it means for a man to drive one of the new mini's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

repsol wrote: »

Probably got them for nothing to advertise the brand plus shedloads of cash.

They were actually given them by their recording company as a present :) Although Lennon never really used his, he did buy a Mini for his wife Cynthia but then traded it in for a Ferrari for himself ;)
    McCartney never cared much for his Mini and there is not a lot of pictures of him driving it, he later sold it.
    Harrison liked his and it is featured in the "Magical Mystery Tour" movie. His estate (Olivia and Dhani Harrison) still own it.
    Starr didn't really care for his and sold it soon after.
    If a Mini is good enough for The Beatles, then it's good enough for anybody right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

kneemos wrote: »
    They're a bit gay in fairness

that's hard on that most often of used phrases.

(no pun intended)

Jijsaw wrote: »

But there was a big difference to the Mini of that era, compared to the Mini made by BMW today.

The old Mini is a bit of an icon today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The original mini was designed as ulitarian car for the masses, its styling was secondary to engineering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think the OP should definitely go for it. I got myself a Cooper D this year, and drove a One D previous to that. They are amazing cars and I really wish more men would drive them! They are so cheap to run as well, and they look amazing. I really hate when people label them as a womens car!

It's no different to a Golf or a civic ofton being regarded as a young guys car, the reason being a lot of young lads drive one.

Same with the Mini Cooper, I've only seen one guy driving one and it was around the city. It's a popular choice of car with women, not so much with men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

I drive a mini, middle aged family man, to be honest I just bought it for the fun of driving, it's a Cooper S Works convertible, roof is rarely dropped and when it does it can give trouble. Costly car to maintain when it gives trouble, never bring it to BMW cost the issue.

As I say bought it for the fun, 210bhp quick car, this car is far from a normal run around. Can drink petrol when you drive it on but I knew that, up and down to work is the use it gets mainly.

Don't care what people think...

Oh to add family motor is a Skoda Superb estate, beautiful car, very cheap motoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kerryscoob wrote: »
    I drive a mini, middle aged family man, to be honest I just bought it for the fun of driving, it's a Cooper S Works convertible, roof is rarely dropped and when it does it can give trouble. Costly car to maintain when it gives trouble, never bring it to BMW cost the issue.

As I say bought it for the fun, 210bhp quick car, this car is far from a normal run around. Can drink petrol when you drive it on but I knew that, up and down to work is the use it gets mainly.
    Excuses, excuses. I expected better of you Kerryscoob. Sell the car immediately!

Advertisement