Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat leaking fluid

• 12-01-2013 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭

Bit of an icky problem this.One of our cats, a 1 and a half year old female, started having diarrhea about last weekend. Nothing too unusual there, fasted her for 24 hours, but that didn't help. As the week progressed, she used the litter tray less and less but is leaking foul smelling brown fluid on a regular basis. We took her to the vets on Wednesday, he didn't seem too worried and put her on an antibiotic. There has been no real change since so it looks as if we may have to bring her to the vet's again on Monday.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their cat. She's an indoor cat so it's seriously rank (thankfully we don't have any visitors coming!), and it can't be too much fun for her either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

After you fasted her for the 24 hours, what kind of food did she get once she went back on it? Keeping her rehydrated is important seeing as she's had it a while so make sure she's drinking plenty of water and no milk or dairy not even cat milk for now.

If you put her back on something like cat food then I'd take her off it for now and feed her only plain boiled chicken. If you haven't any rehydration sachets then maybe see if she will drink the water you boiled the chicken in just so she's drinking something.

As long as you can keep the fluid intake up that's the main thing. Hope she feels better soon but if in doubt or she gets worse contact the vets, sometimes antibiotics take a while to work I find the Royal canin sensativity brand of tinned or dry food works well to firm up the poops. But the boiled chicken will help if you can't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

After you fasted her for the 24 hours, what kind of food did she get once she went back on it? Keeping her rehydrated is important seeing as she's had it a while so make sure she's drinking plenty of water and no milk or dairy not even cat milk for now.

If you put her back on something like cat food then I'd take her off it for now and feed her only plain boiled chicken. If you haven't any rehydration sachets then maybe see if she will drink the water you boiled the chicken in just so she's drinking something.

As long as you can keep the fluid intake up that's the main thing. Hope she feels better soon but if in doubt or she gets worse contact the vets, sometimes antibiotics take a while to work I find the Royal canin sensativity brand of tinned or dry food works well to firm up the poops. But the boiled chicken will help if you can't get it.

Thanks - we put her on chunks of plain cut chicken of the pre-cooked Tesco variety. Just to be on the safe side I may get some chicken breasts and boil them tomorrow.

It's always been very difficult to get her to drink water to be honest and that concerns me a little. We've never given her milk or dairy of any kind. I'll get some Royal Canine food too, thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Is she neutered? It sounds like it could be pyo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Is she neutered? It sounds like it could be pyo.

She was neutered alright so it isn't py.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't give the cat the Royal Canin if she has a dicky tum. Might be too rich.

Give her either plain boiled white fish with a little white rice or plain boiled chicken, again with a little white rice. Make it nice and sloppy so that she gets some fluids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Is it seeping from her bum?
    It sounds like an infection of some sort and hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon.
    Did the vet check her anal glands?

Advertisement